• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI's 1-in-4, 1-in-3, and having multiple memberships to get around the rules......

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Does it work for you? Have you had problems at check-in?

I know some people have multiple accounts, so I thought I would try to get around these rules, if at all possible.

Thanks for your input here!

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't run into these very often, as I tend to do my "return often" exchanges through II (which doesn't have 1-in-N), or internally in Wyndham (where it wouldn't matter). The sense I get is that people tend to go through independents to avoid these, though I suppose it depends on where you are looking to go.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I want to go to the Hilton Seaworld again next year, and we have just been a year ago. They have three bedroom units, and that is what my sisters and I need for our week together in Orlando. I don't want to arrive and get an argument at the check-in desk. It would be embarrassing. I always brag about our timeshare living,, so I want to stay in a nice place. I have tons of weeks to use, so I don't want to bother grabbing a Bonnet Creek.

I might just grab a 3 bedroom at Westgate Lakes or Town Center, and that would avoid the issue, but the Hilton would be so great.

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a second RCI account with my sister recently. I think you might have trouble with the same name/address. We have not booked into any resort with 4-in-1 restrictions so far.

derb

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed two years in a row at smuggs, one weeks and one points. Its my understanding that it is the account number, not name or address that counts.

Also, when Blue Ridge village was a 1 in 4 I called the manager and he told me not to worry, they didn't care. Soooo a call to the manager of the resort might give a solution.

DorotaG

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just had that conversation with the RCI guide yesterday. I was asking him about exchanging into Mayan chain, with their 1-in-5 rule. With weeks we are not allowed to go there until late 2010, but he assured me that I can book it with my points account. I made him talk to the other guides, just to make sure they all agree and it was confirmed.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I just had that conversation with the RCI guide yesterday. I was asking him about exchanging into Mayan chain, with their 1-in-5 rule. With weeks we are not allowed to go there until late 2010, but he assured me that I can book it with my points account. I made him talk to the other guides, just to make sure they all agree and it was confirmed.

Cindy,
It may not help you, but as said above, RCI points accounts are not effected by the 1 in 4 RCI rules. Just RCI week accounts. :crash:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Massanutten 1 In 4 Limit.

A couple of years ago, I snagged an outstanding RCI Instant Exchange reservation for my brother for a week at Woodstone At Massanutten. There was no charge for his RCI Guest Certificate because I had previously listed my brother with RCI Points as 1 of my 5 official Additional Users on my account.

This year, The Chief Of Staff & I made an RCI Instant Exchange reservation into Woodstone At Massanutten for ourselves. The RCI person who handled the reservation over the phone noted my prior Woodstone At Massanutten reservation & mentioned it. I acknowledged making it, pointing out it was not for The Chief Of Staff & me personally, but for 1 of our Additional Users via Guest Certificate.

The RCI guy put me on "hold" for a few minutes while he conferred with someone in a position of authority. Then he came back on the line & said we were OK for this year's Instant Exchange reservation, no problem. We were good to go & all set.

This leads to a few observations -- e.g., it was an RCI Points reservation, but the 1-in-4 restriction was in fact mentioned. So either 1-in-4 is mox nix because it was a points reservation or the restriction is mox nix because the earlier reservation was for somebody else via Guest Certificate.

Presumably if I had been going for a Last Call reservation instead, 1-in-4 would likewise have been mox nix because the 1-in-4 limit applies only to RCI exchanges (straight weeks, straight points, or reduced Instant Exchange points), & does not apply to RCI rentals (full freight, Extra Vacation, or Last Call ).

BTW, our 2008 Massanutten Instant Exchange reservation was made so shortly before check-in that the RCI web site would not let us finalize the reservation on-line. Not only that, because check-in was coming up so soon, the RCI guy completing our reservation by telephone gave us the reservation for 7,500 points + exchange fee, even though the points requirement shown on the web page was 8,500 + exchange fee. For 7,500 points, the guy said, we could have a 2BR unit in The Summit At Massanutten or a 1BR unit in Woodstone At Massanutten. No 2BRs were available the week we wanted at Woodstone or I suppose we could have had a Woodstone 2BR for the same points. Who knew ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

pranas

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There doen't seem to be any consistency here. I wanted to buy a Last minute week at the Galeon in Key West and was told I couldn't because the fine print said 1/4 strictly enforced. I have two separate RCI accounts - one that is points with a week account attached and another week account. The names on the accounts are slightly different - the single week account is in my name only. Quite a bummer because I live within a three hour driving distance and could take advanatge of these last minute weeks for extended weekend trips trips.