• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Upcoming Closure

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shudder; email received today. :rolleyes:

Dear xxxx,

RCI will be temporarily closed for business over this coming Sunday, as we launch exciting new benefits for our RCI® subscribing members.

In order for us to upgrade our systems, RCI.com and our call centers will temporarily close for business to minimize any possible disruption to you.

Our call centers will be closed on Sunday, April 15th, 2012 only.

Also, RCI.com will be unavailable between the following times:

To: 8:00pm EDT Sunday, April 15th, 2012

We will resume our normal business hours on Monday April 16th, 2012 at 8am EDT. If you have any urgent travel issues, please feel free to contact us prior to the closure. When we re-open on Monday, April 16th, we expect higher than normal call volumes so if the matter is not urgent, we suggest that you call later in the week. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause you.

We hope you know that we are always working to improve your membership experience. We look forward to sharing exciting news in the near future about new benefits and online enhancements which will help improve your RCI vacation experience-Because your vacation means the world to us®.

Sincerely,

Gordon Gurnik
President, RCI

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe they'll fix their crappy JS on the site so it doesn't run like ass...

:hysterical:

Ok, I feel better. I know that'll never happen. :rolleyes:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, it used the dreaded e-word, ''enhancments'', an Orwellian term of corporate Newspeak that has the opposite of its apparent meaning. It generally means customers are about to get screwed. Frequent flyers cringe and wonder what they are about to lose every time an airline talks about changes with the e-word.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope this is as good for most RCI users as the last major enhancement was, going to TPU's made the RCI Experience better for most Owners! I welcome changes like that...but i don't expect this to be as extensive

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any nonsense they can think of to increase the fees.

One gripe I have conveyed to them several times (receiving no response--surprise, surprise) is that when a match is made to one of my on-going searches in RCI Points, the Email alert provides the resort name, address, check-in date, unit size, and occupancy limits but fails to state the number of Points needed to confirm the unit.

When I log into my account at the RCI website, the number of Points needed is specified BUT the resort city is not given, number of bedrooms and bathrooms is not specified, and there is no information about the size of the kitchen (if any). How do they expect people to make a decision about reserving or releasing the week without having to call RCI to obtain the missing details. Or maybe that's their game plan--make the member have to call, and then charge the extra fee for having the agent book it for them.

As an example of a week recently offered:

Info in my account at RCI website:
Canada House Beach Club
Travel Dates
03/09/2013 - 03/16/2013
Privacy/Max Occupancy 2/4
RCI Points Value 21500

Info provided in email alert sent to me:
Canada House Beach Club , 1504
Pompano Beach, FL, USA
Check In: Saturday, 03.09.2013
Check Out: Saturday, 03.16.2013
Unit: Studio
Kitchen: Full
Minimum Occupancy: 4 Max / 2 private

They still have not responded to my multiple emails about listing MINIMUM occupancy in the email alert. Obviously they mean MAXIMUM. Surely if I decide to show up alone to check in to the reserved unit, I should not have to scrounge around to find three strangers to check in and occupy the unit with me in order to meet their "minimum occupancy" requirement :hysterical:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope this is as good for most RCI users as the last major enhancement was, going to TPU's made the RCI Experience better for most Owners! I welcome changes like that...but i don't expect this to be as extensive

You are right that there are winners and losers in some changes. In others, like raising fees, there are only losers, except of course for RCI itself. As to the proportion of winners vs. losers in Points Lite, however, a survey on another site showed about an even split between winners and losers, and these sites are heavy with prime week owners, so if you accounted for the off season traders, who are almost all losers due to the virtual elimination of the 45 day window, then Points Lite was a losing proposition for most. Yes, those who own in overbuilt and overpointed areas like yourself did indeed come out ahead. Those who own in the hard to trade into areas, on the other hand, often got whacked.

Margariet

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know! My RCI website was in another language this morning, now the adds still are. Some Scandinavian language, I guess! :confused:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know! My RCI website was in another language this morning, now the adds still are. Some Scandinavian language, I guess! :confused:

Those DANG American programmers! Only language to them is that bloody, awful commoner English used in the colonies or is it programmed by the sub-continent of Asia colonies?

Margariet

TUG Member
Reaction score
My language is Dutch. My RCI website is also in Dutch but there are still parts of the site written in a Scandinavian language, or so. Pretty weird! It happened before after an upgrade. :(

bellesgirl

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
... Weeks side now allows you to "arrow" the calendar forward and backwards. ...
How do you slide the calendar? It sure would be nice but I don't see how to do that.

I see a new symbol for "Internal Exchange" - I don't remember seeing that before. I see it on some Wyndhams and we own Wyndham. Is this new?

RCI seems a lot slower - are others experiencing that too. Probably all the graphic.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
How do you slide the calendar? It sure would be nice but I don't see how to do that.

I see a new symbol for "Internal Exchange" - I don't remember seeing that before. I see it on some Wyndhams and we own Wyndham. Is this new?

RCI seems a lot slower - are others experiencing that too. Probably all the graphic.

I can't figure out how to slide the calendar either. It used to be a back and forth arrow on the top of the calendar month and then it's been gone for a while. It would be lovely to have it back.

I like the new grid feature for displaying resorts as well.

When I bring up the two resorts I own, it shows as internal exchange. One is a Platinum interchange resort and one is with trading places. I haven't searched to see if other resorts managed by thsoe companies would show internal or not. ANd I don't know if it means anything or not - like, if there's any advantage to it.

Last edited:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I bring up the two resorts I own, it shows as internal exchange. One is a Platinum interchange resort and one is with trading places. I haven't searched to see if other resorts managed by thsoe companies would show internal or not. ANd I don't know if it means anything or not - like, if there's any advantage to it.

I'm interested in this...

Margariet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received a welcome e-mail from RCI :confused: Why is it that every upgrade with RCI leads to other problems !?

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, so the calendar was working early this morning

I can't figure out how to slide the calendar either. It used to be a back and forth arrow on the top of the calendar month and then it's been gone for a while. It would be lovely to have it back.

Yes, it was lovely having it back for that brief time this morning. Good grief. Those folks really do have a hard time. :doh:

cinerama

TUG Member
Reaction score
Their web site is a mess. Examples:

When I do a search, it gives me the resorts that have weeks available for points. But, when you select "Available Units" for some of the resorts you get the error message "Resort was not found.Please try again. (SR002)"

OR

It shows "1 check-in day available" and you click on "Available Units" and it shows four check-in dates.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Their web site is a mess. Examples:

When I do a search, it gives me the resorts that have weeks available for points. But, when you select "Available Units" for some of the resorts you get the error message "Resort was not found.Please try again. (SR002)"

OR

It shows "1 check-in day available" and you click on "Available Units" and it shows four check-in dates.

You should switch to weeks...everything is smooth sailing on that side :hi: