• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Time Share Cancellation [Mexico]

Lantecgroup

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the 22nd we attended a presentation and were pressured but mainly misled into what we got for our money.

I called credit card company and cancelled transaction. I have a letter I will send off tomorrow certified to cancel with company. The cc transaction states non cancellable and no refund. The RCI contract really doesn't address cancelling.

Is there a specific Mexican law I can reference that states my rights under a Mexican consumer protection law? Where can I reference something specific?

Should I go into detail in letter about why we are cancelling or just site our rights?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Timeshares can be enrolled in RCI points, but you must have an underlying timeshare ownership too, so - what resort do you own at?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We really would like details. RCI is an exchange company. They don't sell timeshares. Your rescission has to be of the resort (group) who sold you the TS. Those ' no rescissions clauses are illegal, and are not enforceable. PROFECO is the Mexican consumer affairs office. There is probably an office in the city where you were signed up. Much has been written, and there are threads here in TUG to them. Try the search function if someone doesn't link it here soon.

Best wishes. We're glad you found us in time.

Jim

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
So, did you just buy this timeshare (for the first time) or did you already own it, and you converted it to RCI points?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP, the most current info on PROFECO is in post 262 (page11) of the Know your rights of Rescission sticky at the top of the Mexico Forum. Sorry I can't just link to the message, but I'm on a mobile device.

Jim

Lantecgroup

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are at Pueblo Bonita Sunset. It was points we purchased, this was first purchase. I have letter ready to go just need to quote on what authority I'm cancelling or do I need to do that? Signed contract Friday so today is first business day. The sal a person although a nice guy did a lot of talking and we were made to believe we could have 8 weeks at Monte Cristo with points. Also he wrote stuff on piece of paper and my wife asked for the paper and he said according to policy he couldn't give it to us. He did later in email say we can have it but I that point I stopped communicating.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here is a direct link to updated Profeco Info. Profeco is the Mexican Consumer Agency that deals with timeshare complaints:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1568556&postcount=262

You need to rescind in writing, but you do not need to give a long explanation - they know the law, they are just reluctant to comply with it:

To whom it may concern:

We are exercising our legal right to rescind the following timeshare purchase:

Date:
Contract Number:
Name of Resort:

I have also sent a copy of my rescission to Profeco, and the credit card company.

As required by law, please refund our deposit, and cancel our contract, in a timely manner.

Sincerely,
wife's signature
husband's signature

*Include a copy of the main page(s) of the contract.

*Use a trackable mailing method.

*If you got any special incentives (gifts, fancy binders, etc.) mail it back using a trackable method.

*If you got a free timeshare upgrade during your stay - expect your credit card to be charged for it.

*Don't talk to them any more. As you have already found out, they are going to pull out all the stops to talk you out of rescinding. The ONLY communication that has any legal standing is your written rescission letter, so it just doesn't matter what they say over the phone or email.

Last edited:

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Just to clarify, you would be rescinding with Pueblo Bonito, Sunset Beach - NOT Profeco (I'm assuming you made a slight error with the resort name as I don't know of a Pueblo Bonita).

You should have received a package of paperwork after you signed the contract. Instructions for the mailing address and things you need to do in order to rescind will be buried somewhere in that packet.

Send a copy of your rescission letter to Profeco - it can't hurt.