• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI refused a TPU Points for Deposit. Guess I will use II.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I like having TPUs (some really cheap 4/5 TPU weeks) and RCI/II points (for shorter stays). I tried to deposit one of my 23/25 TPU weeks for RCI points. Supposedly, since Williamsburg Plant now sells RCI points TS, RCI refused.

Wth? II allows II pts deposits for their Club Interval Gold account. I get 102k II pts for Williamsburg Plant, 2BR2A, week 33, partial kitchen. I get 105k II pts for Williamsburg Plant, 2BR2A, week 33, full kitchen. Each gets 25 TPUs in RCI.

Any advice?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
that's the RCI rule. Once a resort also offers RCI Points, no more pfd of weeks. I got rid of a week after my resort went to points--the weeks TPU were useless to me. Be glad you have dual affiliation.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vacation village parkway and links golf and raquet
Seems to me that Interval points are really similar to TPU. There is virtually no daily stay inventory and nearly everything is weekly. I don't see any real benefit vs. Interval weeks.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seems to me that Interval points are really similar to TPU. There is virtually no daily stay inventory and nearly everything is weekly. I don't see any real benefit vs. Interval weeks.
If you have II gold, you can split a week into two six-day stays for $180 each split. One can spend $360 exchange fees to get twelve days and two vacations, compared to just one seven-day stay for $200 exchange fee.

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
RCI does points for deposit on a regional basis; 2 BR weeks get something like 60,700 in VA last I checked. If the let folks do that with points resorts, they would open it up as a potential disincentive to being in points.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I have two accounts with RCI one is points ( which I never use) other is Weeks TPU.
Silentg

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I get fair more "value" with pfd (78,500) than TPUs (33) for my 3 BR Gold Crown HHI 4th of July week. I'd love to be able to put into II.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI does points for deposit on a regional basis; 2 BR weeks get something like 60,700 in VA last I checked. If the let folks do that with points resorts, they would open it up as a potential disincentive to being in points.
Which is better? 102 II pts or 61 RCI pts?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I'm not sure; I don't have anything in II points, just weeks. Seems like there are higher tier resorts in II, but it always depends on what you're looking for. 61K RCI points would get about a week and a half or so in a decent resort in my experience, maybe two weeks.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Maybe I don't understand what is being said in this thread, but some resorts are definitely in both RCI Weeks and RCI Points. Sheraton Vistana is a good example. I had both my weeks (in different sections) in RCI Points, but decided to pull one of them back into RCI Weeks. No problem and I have been able to deposit my unit in RCI Weeks. It's certainly possible that some resorts are exclusively RCI Points, but not all are.

Sheila

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maybe I don't understand what is being said in this thread, but some resorts are definitely in both RCI Weeks and RCI Points. Sheraton Vistana is a good example. I had both my weeks (in different sections) in RCI Points, but decided to pull one of them back into RCI Weeks. No problem and I have been able to deposit my unit in RCI Weeks. It's certainly possible that some resorts are exclusively RCI Points, but not all are.

Sheila

The issue @Grammarhero was having was that he couldn’t convert an RCI Weeks deposit to RCI Points, which you can do for a fee for resorts that don’t offer RCI Points enrollment. He can get a weeks deposit done and use the TPUs. RCI doesn’t seem to want competition between the points enrollment and the points for deposit as methods to get RCI Points.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is that this is more in deference to resorts that adopt Points. They typically charge owners to convert--and the conversion fees are usually not small. If RCI allowed those owners to PFD instead, there's be little reason to pay that fee. Thus, owners are not allowed to PFD and instead must pay to convert--even if they used to be able to.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My guess is that this is more in deference to resorts that adopt Points. They typically charge owners to convert--and the conversion fees are usually not small. If RCI allowed those owners to PFD instead, there's be little reason to pay that fee. Thus, owners are not allowed to PFD and instead must pay to convert--even if they used to be able to.

There is that, but also the fact that if a week is enrolled in points the owner is more likely to exchange via RCI and has a lot tougher time taking their business to other exchange systems. It's in RCI's interest to incentivize enrollment in points.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Which is better? 102 II pts or 61 RCI pts?
interval club gold points.PNG

It looks like 102k II points would get you most 2 BR in II in all seasons with leftover points. There are many 2 BR's in RCI that cost more than 61K. It still would come down to which inventory do you like better RCI or II.