• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Question from a newbie...

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
:hysterical: I am only allowed to go on eBay to look for amplifiers - no more timeshares :bawl:

Let me tell you the amps I like cost more than many timeshares. :eek:
Yes, but you only have to pay for the amps ONCE.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's perfect ampaholic. I would be looking at late September/early October at the start of Blue season. Just before the skiing starts. Week 37-Week 40 are ideal for me.

Thanks for looking that up for me.

Searching Sept 2012 - I found 74 check ins available at 7 Breckenridge Resorts and in Oct there are only 6 check ins at three Resorts.

Looks like Oct is the beginning of the popular time there.

Dorian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking at week points grid October, for some odd reason is "Blue" season and the least amount of points required. September is "Red" and the most costly.

Thanks, I appreciate you looking that up!

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to throw a monkey wrench in your planning (sorry) - Valdoro is an RCI Weeks resort I believe - so if you become an owner of a week there you would be playing in the RCI Weeks (TPU) game - wouldn't you?

Dorian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to throw a monkey wrench in your planning (sorry) - Valdoro is an RCI Weeks resort I believe - so if you become an owner of a week there you would be playing in the RCI Weeks (TPU) game - wouldn't you?

I believe so, at least as far as I am understanding things so far that is.

chewie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quite the entertaining thread!

The other day my wife was recording some reality show about people who do extreme couponing (is this really a word?). I believe it was on TLC. It was really crazy! These people would spend like $20 and leave the store with thousands of dollars worth of stuff. There was even one girl that was dumpster diving to get these troves of coupons that were thrown away. The show was highly entertaining, and I encourage people on this board to watch it at least once.

Other than the OP in this thread, I believe that everyone that has posted in this thread to be the timeshare equivalent of these extreme coupon people on that show. And I love it! I am not sure yet if it is more of a mini hobby, or a sickness for me. But I sure love staying in Hawaii at a 2 BR condo in a Gold Crown resort for less than $60 per night. I am still looking for ways to bring that number down....always looking. :D

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
But I sure love staying in Hawaii at a 2 BR condo in a Gold Crown resort for less than $60 per night.
Funny you should use that example... We're currently in Hawaii for three weeks (all in 2BR Gold Crown resorts), and all three weeks were less than $60/night. With our TPU cost of about $10, here's what each week cost us:

Point at Poipu (20 TPU) $379 ($54.14/night)
Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort (14 TPU) $319 ($45.57/night)
Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort (24 TPU) $419 ($59.86/night)
Total: $1117 ($53.19/night)

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
Funny you should use that example... We're currently in Hawaii for three weeks (all in 2BR Gold Crown resorts), and all three weeks were less than $60/night. With our TPU cost of about $10, here's what each week cost us:

Point at Poipu (20 TPU) $379 ($54.14/night)
Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort (14 TPU) $319 ($45.57/night)
Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort (24 TPU) $419 ($59.86/night)
Total: $1117 ($53.19/night)

It that before or after adding in the $179+ RCI exchange fee? That fee would add $25.71/week.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
It that before or after adding in the $179+ RCI exchange fee? That fee would add $25.71/week.

He has his exchange fee built in, but $10/tpu is very good and not easy to duplicate.

Michael will correct me if Im wrong but I think he gets his low cost tpu by owning at a particular resort where he gets10 or 12 or more weeks to deposit for a $1000 mf.

I dont think that there are many resorts that offer such an opportunity

I still think that the best deal in timeshares is the RCI Last Call where for under $300 you can get a 7 day reservation...about $40 a night...You cant plan too far ahead, and you have to be willing to compromise size and location... but what a deal

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.

When you own Hilton points you can exchange in either RCI weeks or RCI points or thru the HGVC Club. You could actually trade your own points to get back into Hilton thru RCI for possibly less points than thru the club. Unfortunately you could only do it 1 in 4 years because of the restrictions. :annoyed:

Here is a clip of the Extreme Couponing show that is on TLC.

http://tlc.discovery.com/videos/extreme-couponing-dumpster-diver.html

After watching this clip, would you not agree that there are many similarities ....or, the carbon copy equivalent (but for timeshares) as these people with coupons? And of course, I mean no disrespect to anyone.

You got a problem with that? :p