• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI pure points?

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this better than the traditional one, for someone who just wants points to exchange. Since it is not associated with any week/resort, will the MF be lower due to no real estate taxes etc?

I found website selling 50000 points for about $2k in closing cost, but the MF is $490 /year

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This sounds like a vacation club, and you are buying a membership and basically renting points from them - you don't own anything.

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
own rci account?

This sounds like a vacation club, and you are buying a membership and basically renting points from them - you don't own anything.

Then how are they able to give a separate RCI account? I went to rci.com, there it says clearly that you need to own a Timeshare to register for a RCI account.

The only plus I see is I can do my own search and book, plus few years down the road If I don't need it, just cancel the membership (and lose ~2k in enrollment fees)

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Then how are they able to give a separate RCI account?

Do they give you your own RCI account or do you use theirs?

When I google RCI pure points a few things come up, but they all look like travel clubs.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then how are they able to give a separate RCI account? I went to rci.com, there it says clearly that you need to own a Timeshare to register for a RCI account.

The only plus I see is I can do my own search and book, plus few years down the road If I don't need it, just cancel the membership (and lose ~2k in enrollment fees)

Rather than pure points, this really sounds like a TS convertible to RCI points. Grandview @ Las Vegas is a very popular example. In this case, however, you don't just cancel and lose the enrollment fee. If you cancel, you still owe maintenance fees on the underlying deed.

You can find RCI points timeshares that offer over twice the points for less than twice the MF. You can probably find a 122K contract at $750 MF at Grandview of Vacation Village Orlando within that $2K purchase price, and that contract should hold value so that you can unload it when you are done with it without losing a lot if anything.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There is no such that as "pure points," all RCI points have an underlying timeshare that has been converted to points.

Not sure how they set up the accounts for their club members.

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
europe rci memberguide talks about pure points

There is no such that as "pure points," all RCI points have an underlying timeshare that has been converted to points.

Not sure how they set up the accounts for their club members.

I found information about "pure points" in this European rci website newmemberguide page 7.

http://www.rcipoints.eu/en/newmemberguide

So, is this only legit in Europe?

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
European RCI is a separate entity - so that does not apply to RCI in the US.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pure Points are backed up with units of accommodation by the resort (or developer) that they were purchased from. The resort charges RCI the maintenance fees on the accommodation that Pure Points are backed up with and RCI passes this fee onto Pure Points owners as a Management Fee

See more at: http://www.rcipoints.eu/types

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every Rci point is backed by a timeshare that someone owns so as Denise has said there is no such thing as a pure points account

And yet there are a lot of ads similar to what the op has reported. What exactly are these people selling??

I think, as has been said here, it's a vacation club where either the club owns the timeshares or where the club has an agreement with multiple timeshare owners

It would be a great idea except that it violates the RCI rules that prohibit rentals

The other possibility is that the "club" transfers timeshare ownerships to their members without their knowledge or consent

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I found information about "pure points" in this European rci website newmemberguide page 7.

http://www.rcipoints.eu/en/newmemberguide

So, is this only legit in Europe?

My google search brought up several old Tug threads. They involved Europe and Canada and the people posting were confused and no resolution was posted.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107972
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157700
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105899

And here's a youtube video about the program, which I didn't watch. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFB-CikkolsDaevjOmV8boQ