• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI problems

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you see any for UK?

I can see 137 units between March and October 2010 for UK & Ireland.

I see about the same overall, but when I look at what I am most interested in, particularly England, it is a LOT less than I used to see a few years ago

kkelley

TUG Member
Reaction score
. . . .
I saw over 500 every single day in Hawaii, with some earlier 2009 availability in the 1,000 range. Many days there were 720 or so, including the week before the "enhancements," when I could see a few Hilton Hawaiian Village Kalia and Lagoon Towers. :( Now I see 85 weeks, with half of them for this month.

This is exactly the question I have. I gave a week to my soon to be daughter in law for college graduation. They want to go to the Big Island. I started searching right about the time everything exploded at RCI. When I COULD get in I was finding quite a bit of availability with my trades. Then Shebang..... the site was "back up" and now there is basically nothing there.

Is this a result of adjusting trading power? Is it because there really is not much out there? I have read and read and read trying to figure out what to do for them and now I am even more confused than before. Somewhere I remember reading that someone had been told that there would be some released units soon.

Can anyone clarify for me?
(I own in Sedona and was looking for something on the Big Island in mid Aug to late September. and yes I know that I am looking at last minute stuff.)

More than 1 post....I used to be eslkerry LOL, forgot and became kkelley :)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
They did release lots of Hawaii weeks, so I ended up see more like 520 for a few days, and now it's down to 350 or so in the morning, but there is really nothing good there for me; nothing I would take. I used to see 2 bedrooms at great resorts, now I see 1 bedrooms.

I am sorely disappointed, but Rick is very philosophical about it. We just aren't going to give RCI any great weeks anymore. We have other avenues.........

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
. . . yet the rental inventory seems to be well stocked.

Perhaps, they anticipated approval of the sellout / settlement in the class action and looking toward the 2 year period when they are somewhat constrained to do right by customers, they are shifting all inventory to rental they can in preparation for that period.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Oddly enough I found a 2 BR Kings' Land HGVC week in Hawaii, after the "enhancement" implementation. I think they goofed, as my week likely should not have pulled it 1 BR April Daytona Coast standard (at best) resort, and it showed up in an search of Texas properties. Hawaii in Texas, I wish.

But it is booked and paid for. It was Sept 2010, which is shoulder season, but we were planning on a trip there then anyway.

Last edited:

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
We were on a three-week timeshare vacation when the RCI enhancements took place. I have been playing around with my Hilton Head Island (HHI) mid-May and July 4th weeks today online. The online system seems to be working, but no doubt that the trading power for my weeks have definitely been diminished than before the enhancement.

These HHI weeks are lock-offs in a Gold Crown resort and we have always deposited as a studio and 1 Br. Before, all the weeks traded the same. Now, there is a distinct difference between the # of trades for the 1 Br and studio and between the mid-May and July 4th week. It appears now with the enhancements, RCI has implemented the size for size rule - as I basically see only 1 BRs and smaller now - where before I could see 2 br units. So the days of upgrading thru RCI unfortunately are over.

For those of you thinking about trading thru II instead, I don't think that you are going to do much better because my experience with our Marriott weeks trading thru II show that its trading system implements the like-for-like exchange algothrim - both in location as well as unit. For example, we own a lock off Marriott week in Park City in the floating summer season ( always request July 4th for deposit) . It trades so-so overall as a 2 br unit - but NOT great. IF you lock it off, the 1 br side trades okay, but the studio side trades poorly. Of course, the II system has alot of glitches and others have been more successful trading their mediocre Marriott weeks - just not me. But bottom line, I don't think that switching to II is going to be the solution unfortunately. :bawl:

Same is true for DAE. They have very limited availability and most of it becomes available at the beginning of the calendar year when a lot of folks I guess pay their maint fees and deposit. Also, it appears most of these deposits are only a few months in advance.

Joyce

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were on a three-week timeshare vacation when the RCI enhancements took place. I have been playing around with my Hilton Head Island (HHI) mid-May and July 4th weeks today online. The online system seems to be working, but no doubt that the trading power for my weeks have definitely been diminished than before the enhancement.

These HHI weeks are lock-offs in a Gold Crown resort and we have always deposited as a studio and 1 Br. Before, all the weeks traded the same. Now, there is a distinct difference between the # of trades for the 1 Br and studio and between the mid-May and July 4th week. It appears now with the enhancements, RCI has implemented the size for size rule - as I basically see only 1 BRs and smaller now - where before I could see 2 br units. So the days of upgrading thru RCI unfortunately are over.

For those of you thinking about trading thru II instead, I don't think that you are going to do much better because my experience with our Marriott weeks trading thru II show that its trading system implements the like-for-like exchange algothrim - both in location as well as unit. For example, we own a lock off Marriott week in Park City in the floating summer season ( always request July 4th for deposit) . It trades so-so overall as a 2 br unit - but NOT great. IF you lock it off, the 1 br side trades okay, but the studio side trades poorly. Of course, the II system has alot of glitches and others have been more successful trading their mediocre Marriott weeks - just not me. But bottom line, I don't think that switching to II is going to be the solution unfortunately. :bawl:

Same is true for DAE. They have very limited availability and most of it becomes available at the beginning of the calendar year when a lot of folks I guess pay their maint fees and deposit. Also, it appears most of these deposits are only a few months in advance.

Joyce

The fallacy in all of this is that size is just one factor in demand. It is not the be all and end all. A studio at Allen House, for example is more desireable than the largest units in the overbuilt areas, and by a country mile. It means that anyone with a studio in a highly desirable time and location would be a fool to deposit with RCI.

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
After last nights maintenance, I have to reload every page I am trying to load. Each page first reverts to the exchange week, and how many units are available for the particular page I am trying to view. Then when I refresh the page, I get the resort information. So frustrating. :crash:

jamstew

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was really hoping that things would be better and some of the 10K+ units I lost would return after last night's maintenance. Didn't happen :mad:

jdbacz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once again, the phantom weeks are back! I'm searching for a last minute exchange - several times this week my search results in matches, but when I click on any one of them, I get the same old error message:

Sorry your transaction cannot be completed at this time. Please try again or contact a vacation guide.

For internal use only: Error from Search
Index: 0, Size: 0

This morning I got 15 matches, got the error message, called a VC, and nothing was available at all!!!! Their answer is that the week was taken by somebody else and will still appear for a few minutes - usually, it still appears for an hour or two. Anybody else seeing these phantom weeks still?

jamstew

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once again, the phantom weeks are back! I'm searching for a last minute exchange - several times this week my search results in matches, but when I click on any one of them, I get the same old error message:

Sorry your transaction cannot be completed at this time. Please try again or contact a vacation guide.

For internal use only: Error from Search
Index: 0, Size: 0

This morning I got 15 matches, got the error message, called a VC, and nothing was available at all!!!! Their answer is that the week was taken by somebody else and will still appear for a few minutes - usually, it still appears for an hour or two. Anybody else seeing these phantom weeks still?

I'm doing the same thing (searching for last minute), and yes, I am still getting that error message occasionally.

donnaval

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't get anything at all right now. The graphics are all gone from the search page--just a mess of words. The "continue" button is still there but when you click on it, it just reloads the mess of words page.

cpnuser

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI search

In the past week, when I do a search, I've been having a problem. When the weeks I'm searching for come up, I click on "Available Units" "Description of Timeshare" or whatever, the next page will come up. When I try to go back to Search page with availabe units on it, it sez "Web page not found". I have to start all over again doing a search. I hope this is understandable. It's not my computer, because I don't have this problem at other sites.

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the past week, when I do a search, I've been having a problem. When the weeks I'm searching for come up, I click on "Available Units" "Description of Timeshare" or whatever, the next page will come up. When I try to go back to Search page with availabe units on it, it sez "Web page not found". I have to start all over again doing a search. I hope this is understandable. It's not my computer, because I don't have this problem at other sites.

Try using the f5 button, or right click and select "refresh." You might be asked if it is OK to resend data, but otherwise it should start you back at the same spot.