• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI points

Jimrow

Reaction score
Hi, I am buying a RCI points timeshare. Will I be able to assume the sellers RCI account or do I get my own account and then transfer the points to me?

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you buy a timeshare that is already in the RCI Point system you will need to open an RCI point account to transfer the points in. Timeshares have underlying deeds so this timeshare has an actual name not just RCI points timeshare. I can't tell you the number of people who have no idea where they own. Their answer to my query is, more often than not, I own a RCI timeshare.
When you close on your contract the closing agent should take care of the RCI Membership for you

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
You have to open your own account. There is a $224 fee to open an RCI account the first time you purchase at a resort that trades in the RCI system. Any future weeks you buy only cost $99 to enroll. That is upon rare occasion paid by the seller but otherwise is collected from you by whatever resale or closing company is handling the sale.

You will have to pay an annual fee to stay in the RCI exchange program and the current best deal is three years for $321. You might want to consider paying the extra to be in the platinum program and the best deal on it is $171 for three years. Below are the benefits of the platinum program and they are more beneficial to point owners than week owners as I recently learned.

Even though you are points you still have the option of using your week at your resort and you need inform RCI of your intent to do that by or before the start of your use year. When you do that you don't pay the exchange fee. If that is all you ever want to do, you don't have pay the annual RCI fee to keep your week/points in their system.

For each week you book using your points there will be a $230 exchange fee, it is less if you do less than full week stays. If you add a guest the fee is $69. RCI often has sales and you can pick up weeks really cheap with no points and no exchange fee. They have sales pretty regularly and the prices range any where from $199 to $349 and sometimes more depending on the sale, the resort and unit size.

Many resorts are managed by a management company and they will be collecting your maintenance fees. You will need to know your contract number to get yourself registered online with them if you want to be able to pay your maintenance fees online. With other resorts you will pay your mf's directly to the resort. You may have to call the management company or your resort for help getting set up with your RCI account. If you are buying resale and not from a developer I wouldn't count on the closing company doing anything more than collecting the fee.

City Attractions
Save 20% off things to do when you travel with a Go City Card multi-attraction pass. Passes include admission to top attractions, tours, museums, and more in 11 popular destinations for one low price. Pay nothing at the gate. More choices, more savings.

Complimentary Unit Upgrades & Changes
Here’s how it works: when you book your confirmed Exchange vacation, you’ll have the opportunity to receive Complimentary Unit Upgrades and Resort Changes. Just let us know you’re interested in a unit upgrade or resort change. Within two weeks of check-in, if one of the resorts you’ve specified, or a bigger unit at your confirmed resort becomes available, we’ll change your reservation and provide you with the details.

Savings Dollars
Earn Savings Dollars on select RCI transactions you already do (like paying exchange fees and renewing your RCI® subscribing membership).Then it’s up to you how you redeem them – hotel stays, home electronics, fashion, wine (where legally available to ship), jewelry, sporting goods, dining certificates and more.*

Priority Access
Get exclusive access to exchange vacations at select hotels and resorts before they’re made available to standard RCI® subscribing members for exchange.

RCI Platinum Points Extension
Get more time to enjoy your Points! As an RCI Platinum member, who is also an RCI Points®member, you are eligible to extend your unused Points for Two Use Years, as compared to standard RCI members who can extend their Points for only One Use Year, when they pay the same applicable fee. While extended Points expire at the end of a Third Use Year for standard RCI members, RCI Platinum members will enjoy a Fourth Use Year with no additional fee.

10% Discount on Extra VacationsSMgetaways and Last CallSM Vacations
Enjoy an additional 10% off all your Extra VacationsSM getaways and Last CallSMVacations — even those already on sale.*

Free Ongoing Search
Can’t find the vacation you’re looking for right now? We’ll keep a lookout for you 24/7 and you won’t be charged your exchange fee until we find a match!

Platinum-Component-Benefit-Tile_FreeOnHold.jpg

Free On-Hold Vacations
Not quite ready to book? We’ll hold your vacation for you without a fee while you iron out those last minute details.

Platinum-Component-Benefit-Tile_PlatinumPreview.jpg

Platinum Previews
RCI Platinum members have first dibs on Extra VacationsSM getaways sales! With RCI Platinum membership, see (and book) Extra Vacations getaways sales one day earlier than standard RCI members.

RCI®Points Partner Program
Make your Points go farther! RCI Platinum members, who are RCI Points members, can use more of their annual Points allocation when booking travel – 50% of your annual Points allotment, rather than 33% for standard RCI members.

Platinum Cruise Exchange
RCI Platinum members still receive an extra $25USD off per cabin towards the purchase of select cruises (and can enjoy this benefit on an unlimited number of cabins, so bring along the whole family!)

Platinum-Component-Benefit-Tile_PriorityAnswer.jpg

Priority Answer
RCI Platinum members who call 1.866.545.7205 get quicker access to our knowledgeable guides. Enjoy fast answers from the RCI Platinum experts who are waiting to help you with your vacation planning!

Platinum-Component-Benefit-Tile_PointsTransfers.jpg

Free Points Transfers
Know an RCI Points member that could use additional Points? Lucky them! Now RCI Platinum members no longer pay a Points transfer fee, so transfer away!

RCI Platinum® Guided Vacations
Looking to explore exotic locales? Or do you want to visit renowned golf, ski, and spa destinations in the U.S.? Either way, we’ve got a vacation tour for you! Plus, RCI Platinum members receive an extra $25USD per couple towards the purchase of select tours, as compared to standard RCI members.

Last edited: