• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Points - How to Reserve for A Guest

David10225

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Barony Beach
My inlaws don't want to use their timeshare anymore (RCI points) and told us we can use them. I got an ID and password to access the RCI site for their account and have been searching and have found something that we would like to use. I'm unclear of the procedure after that.

I assume you confirm online. Then the next screen that came up was a place to put in their credit card information for the exchange fee. I assume I could put my name and information in there...but I'm not sure if they have to pay and then I write them a check.

At some point, I would want to account to purchase a guest certificate so it could be in our names. I don't know if you do that online and at one point..or do you do all the reservation part online..then call them to purchase a guest certificate..

So the two questions are....can I put in my CC info for the exchange fee and how do we get that guest certificate.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You might look at getting a multi-year guest pass - to avoid the $59 guest fee for each vacation. It is also good for the Extra Vacation and Last Call reservations.

Unsure on your other questions - I don't let the relatives near my passwords on my timeshares accounts. I book for them.:D

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sure you can use your credit card. I think you can also check a checkbox for guest certificate. But I've never done that before. I usually pay the guest certificate at the last minute just in case my guest needs to cancel or make changes.

You can actually have your inlaws add your name to their account. They have to mail in a written request to RCI with their signatures and your signature. It takes a few weeks to complete. Once done, you don't have to pay for guest certificate ever. But you may have to call every time to change the reservation to your name.

I added my sister to my account earlier this year.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can use your own credit card to pay.

Often, depending on the resort guest certificates are not needed. I've called the resort and told them my son or friend would be arriving before me and they have said fine, and checked them in and I have bypassed the reservation desk and gone straight to the unit.

If this is an ongoing issue then adding your name to the in-laws account as suggested is a very good suggestion.

cclendinen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have in-laws add your names to the RCI Account.

You are allowed seven names on the RCI Points Account (2 primary and 5 secondary). The five secondary members will need guest certificates to check-in but there is not a charge for them. In order to get the free guest certificate you will need to call RCI because the on-line guest certificates always require a charge.

Your in-laws will need to write to RCI to get you added to the account. You cannot do this on the phone. I have all my adult children and brothers on my account and they have never paid for a guest certificate. I am not sure how long it will take to get you added since my family was added when my account was setup.

I also have a friend that I give exchanges to often. He pays for the exchange fees and purchased a five-year guest certificate plan in his name for $149.00. This gets him guest certificates free on any points-for-weeks exchange, week-for-week exchanges and RCI rentals. (It does not cover the standard points exchanges.) There is also a 10-year plan for $199.00. You have to call RCI to get these also as they are not available online. This plan pays for itself if you only use it three times in five years.