• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Points / 3 year RTU lease

maigueri

Reaction score
[2008] RCI Points / 3 year RTU lease

Hi everybody:

Two days ago i discovered thanks to a tug member the posibility of leasing rci points.

has anyones used the RCI Points / 3 year RTU?

It looks really interesting ¿any opinion?

thanks!!!:clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody:

Two days ago i discovered thanks to a tug member the posibility of leasing rci points.

has anyones used the RCI Points / 3 year RTU?

It looks really interesting ¿any opinion?

thanks!!!:clap:

I have read about this but how much is it and where do you buy it?????:hi:

walumb01

TUG Member
Reaction score
i just paid my maintenance on my third year. I lease 63000 points for just a little over 500 bucks a year. I would not be happy with the points as my only method of timesharing but it works well for us to supplement what we already own. we use them to add a couple days here and there and for last minute excursions. Overall it doesn't seem like the availability is that good and the resorts that belong to points seem to be of a lesser caliber. I will probably renew mine at the end of the term for 100 bucks. I like it that I can basically walk away and let it expire if I choose and not have to hassle with it, if and when I want to call it quits.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, it's the best way to get into RCI Points. I am surprised more resorts don't do exactly this leasing program. They get rid of dog weeks into the RCI Points system for cheap and guests come to the resorts for those weeks. It truly is a win-win.

It's totally legitimate. You can find it at Timeshare Forums.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There may be a reason...

I am surprised more resorts don't do exactly this leasing program.

I may be mistaken, but it was my understanding that this particular RTU / lease arrangement was / is possible only because of some legal oddity apparently unique to the state of California (...what a surprise...). :shrug:

Last edited:

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I may be mistaken, but it was my understanding that this particular RTU / lease arrangement was / is possible only because of some legal oddity apparently unique to the state of California (...what a surprise...). :shrug:

Nope. It's just a creative resort manager. What you read is just spin. It didn't say other states couldn't do it. It just said that is how they are doing it legally in California. There's really not much difference between a lease and an RTU.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Unfortunately, RCI will not take any resort into RCI points without being Silver Crown or better. Twin Rivers would be ideal for the program, but they just won't take us.

Of course, we could always get owners to take our inventory weeks by advertising how many points they would be worth in the PFD program. RCI blindsided us after we were excited about the possibilities by not allowing our 3 bedrooms to be designated as 3 bedrooms; they say our 3 bedrooms are 2 bedrooms. They are definitely three bedrooms and have always been considered 3 bedrooms by II, but RCI says they are not. There is a large open loft AND a private bedroom that is separated by the open area with a door, and the bedroom even has a window. But they say it is a sleeps 8 unit. I am stomping mad over this. But there is nothing I can do.

I have argued and pleaded, to no avail. The other board members are encouraging me to fight the good fight, but it seems to be as hard to convince RCI as it is to fight city hall. :annoyed:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not more widely adopted?

Nope. It's just a creative resort manager. What you read is just spin. It didn't say other states couldn't do it. It just said that is how they are doing it legally in California. There's really not much difference between a lease and an RTU.

You may be correct. I purchased one of these RTU/ leases a few years ago; my belief was not based upon anything I "read", but upon input received directly from the seller rep. That said, I readily acknowledge that said input doesn't make it either correct and / or limited to CA, but it certainly seems a bit odd to me that this regimen does not appear to have attempted anywhere else in the U.S., at least to my knowledge... :shrug:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It is a great way to get value from tought to sell weeks

You may be correct. I purchased one of these RTU/ leases a few years ago; my belief was not based upon anything I "read", but upon input received directly from the seller rep. That said, I readily acknowledge that said input doesn't make it either correct and / or limited to CA, but it certainly seems a bit odd to me that this regimen does not appear to have attempted anywhere else in the U.S., at least to my knowledge... :shrug:

It is most definitely not limited to CA as our resort in Cape Cod has also signed on to a similar program to offer leased/RTU weeks (usually the lower value times) to the RCI Points program. It has worked out great at generating reliable income for nearly impossible to sell weeks. Many more seasonal resorts, that are Silver Crown or better as Cindy correctly points (sorry, no pun) out, should look into it as a great way to give real value to otherwise really tough to market time. Everyone wins.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score

You can do it in Florida. You just need to register the product with the State of Florida and if you are selling it, you need to register as a developer. It's probably easier in other states.

I think resorts don't do it because RCI didn't present it to them as an option. RCI doesn't care. It's no different than owners selling their timeshares every 3 years back to the resort so that they can sell it again which in essence is what they are doing.

maigueri

Reaction score
Thank for ur response:

i´m thinking about get them, i´ve been checking the RCI resort directory and if i get a week with 92500 RCI points as i´ve seen on ebay could mean (for instance) around 3 weeks in aruba divi resort 4 star with 32,000 points in low season.It looks a really great deal for me!:whoopie:

My doubts is about the occupancy or if it´s different to get a room if booked is made while points sistem. Or if the resort for any reason gets out from rci points sistem and i don´t want really to go there...that´s why i´m thinking about leasing.

Thanks again for ur help

i love tug hospitality!!!:cheer:

Keep Traveling

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any update on the leasing system. I contact the person that did leasing but didn't hear anything back.

KT

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Me too...

i just paid my maintenance on my third year. I lease 63000 points for just a little over 500 bucks a year. I would not be happy with the points as my only method of timesharing but it works well for us to supplement what we already own. we use them to add a couple days here and there and for last minute excursions. Overall it doesn't seem like the availability is that good and the resorts that belong to points seem to be of a lesser caliber. I will probably renew mine at the end of the term for 100 bucks. I like it that I can basically walk away and let it expire if I choose and not have to hassle with it, if and when I want to call it quits.

The above post saves me some typing, as it mirrors nearly exactly my own level, use, experience, and future intentions. I would only mildly disagree with the "lesser caliber" reference; I just haven't personally observed that to be noticeably so in my own limited experience.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not advertising...

I have read about this but how much is it and where do you buy it?

I have no affiliation of any kind with the selling rep, but you can still find his RTU / lease ads posted over on Timeshare Forums (TS4MS).

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
3-Year (Renewable) R. T. U. Points-Timeshare Lease Information.

I have read about this but how much is it and where do you buy it?
Click here for some information about that.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
they say our 3 bedrooms are 2 bedrooms.
As far as I can tell, RCI never treats a loft as a bedroom---ever. I've got a fixed week at another resort that has a private bedroom, a loft, and two bathrooms. II considers it a 2BR, RCI a 1BR. At least in Weeks RCI doesn't care too much about size, and it trades just as well as a "real" 2BR I have at the same resort.

This can sometimes work in your favor, if you know which resorts have such units. I just grabbed a 1BR+loft unit at one of the Shanty Creek resorts up in northern lower Michigan for the long MLK weekend, sleeps 8, with 2 baths. I used a 28K blue studio that was getting close to expiration, but it was also available as a last call. Because it's a 1BR, it's $219 rather than $249.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Link No Longer Works -- Anybody Have 1 That Does ?

Click here for some information about that.
The listing has expired at that site, leave both that site & TUG without a current source of information that I can find on the 3-year (renewable) RTU points-timeshare lease opportunities.

Does anyone know of a current link for that which works ?

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Thank You.

There was a new ad put up OT just yesterday.
Outstanding.

For a while there I feared the 3-year (renewable) RTU points-timeshare leases were no longer being offered.

Nice to see the opportunity is still there for a while.

Thanks for the fresh link.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
Fyi, just clicked on this link -

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoble
There was a new ad put up OT just yesterday.

-- message says "listing has closed".
This listing works for me today

Larry

TUG Member
Reaction score

rsonc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Allegro, Melia, VI Resorts
I bought one last year.. the guys name I think is bill and he is with Club Trinidad in Palm Springs. I think if you call them and ask for bill they should be able to get you in contact with him or I will see if I have an email address for him if you need it.

http://www.clubtrinidad.com/

I have had mine for a year and went with a 15k with a low m/f since I have several timeshares that I deposit into it so it worked great for me.

Susan

BillR

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought one last year.. the guys name I think is bill and he is with Club Trinidad in Palm Springs. I think if you call them and ask for bill they should be able to get you in contact with him or I will see if I have an email address for him if you need it.

http://www.clubtrinidad.com/
m
I have had mine for a year and went with a 15k with a low m/f since I have several timeshares that I deposit into it so it worked great for me.

Susan

The link into Timehare forums shows CLOSED but does show current information. The same ad was listed with TUG a week ago but, strangely, has not appeared yet.

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, RCI will not take any resort into RCI points without being Silver Crown or better. Twin Rivers would be ideal for the program, but they just won't take us.

Of course, we could always get owners to take our inventory weeks by advertising how many points they would be worth in the PFD program. RCI blindsided us after we were excited about the possibilities by not allowing our 3 bedrooms to be designated as 3 bedrooms; they say our 3 bedrooms are 2 bedrooms. They are definitely three bedrooms and have always been considered 3 bedrooms by II, but RCI says they are not. There is a large open loft AND a private bedroom that is separated by the open area with a door, and the bedroom even has a window. But they say it is a sleeps 8 unit. I am stomping mad over this. But there is nothing I can do.

I have argued and pleaded, to no avail. The other board members are encouraging me to fight the good fight, but it seems to be as hard to convince RCI as it is to fight city hall. :annoyed:

This is off topic - and I apologize for that - but Cindy's post on the size designation of units by RCI bit me in the butt a few months ago. I bought a 1 bedroom unit at a Cape Cod resort. TOTALLY seperate bedroom. RCI says it's "too small" and classifies it as a studio! I am pissed because I am now paying a higher MF as it's a 1 bedroom not a studio. When I called the resort for my due diligence, it never occured to me to ask how a true 1 bedroom would be classified by RCI, although a subsequent call to the resort relvealed that they indeed know that their 1 bedrooms were studios in RCI. I certainly will be asking that question in the future! Live and learn I guess. On the good side I paid a good price for this tiger trader and have already used it to trade for a 2BR high time, high demand resort. And I figure, you never know... maybe in the future my unit will indeed get the 1 BR classification it deserves.