• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Platinum, The Good, Bad & Ugly Any thoughts?

webgriffins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for info on the RCI Platinum membership, Perks and Disadvantages? Also how does the pay back feature work with booking hotels with the RCI Savings Dollars, ($1 deposited into account for every $1 spent on RCI)? Thank You

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Platinum

We generally book several extra vacations a year. I like getting 10% off those. I like the one day advance notice of sales as well...I've often nabbed something on that day that wasn't there when the sale opened up to everyone else. I've not investigated the savings dollars...that's not really why I signed up, so didn't bother looking into them.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
In general there looks like a max you can spend on a hotel depending on price. For example I have over $400 in savings dollars. I looked at a local hotel and even though I could use a rate that would be just under $100 booking direct with the hotel as a rewards member of that chain, even if I use the same rate code on RCI and starwood.com and using the max $31 savings dollars I would be saving about $8 over the direct booked rate. My guess is I would lose ability to earn points over that $8 for the stay.

I wouldn't expect to save more than $0-$50 per night using the saving dollars and the higher end only when staying at select high end hotels that probably have other ways to get equal savings.

webgriffins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info, as I guessed the real details from users is a bit different than RCI's take on the deal. I was told you could use the Savings Dollars to pay for the entire hotel room with only a $20 -$25 booking fee, even when I asked if there was a limit on how much Saving $$ can be applied I was told no you can pay for the whole thing...... %10 off extra vaca stays is good if you do many...Again Thank you, it is good to ask the real users for the real deal....

BennyBoy00

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The price probably depends on the hotel, the area, and the demand. My experience the couple times I looked was that the RCI price was nearly the same as the expedia price. Then I could use a set amount of savings dollars to reduce the price anywhere from 10-30% below the expedia price. The exact number of dollars that could be used and percentage savings varied by hotel.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had RCI Platinum since it started, and my Dad has platinum too.
I loved the Restaurant.com deals. Those are gone.
I loved the Hyatt and other exchange opportunities into hotels. This is gone.
Other than that, I have benefited from a few return $ on guest certificates, but not enough to make up the fee for Platinum.
I don't rent through RCI, and I have seen no unit upgrades... and I've seen little evidence to make me believe this is worthwhile.
I'm holding out now to see if there are any positive changes coming down the pike, otherwise I'm out.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I thought restaurant.com was gone too or at least I had to use saving dollars to purchase them. They still seem to be available one in my weeks account and one in my points account available each month.

January --- Expired
February --- Expired
March --- Claim

LynnW

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought restaurant.com was gone too or at least I had to use saving dollars to purchase them. They still seem to be available one in my weeks account and one in my points account available each month.

January --- Expired
February --- Expired
March --- Claim

I just checked my account and it says the same thing. Strange since we were told it was discontinued :confused:

Lynn

Steve NH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do the "Savings Dollars" apply to "products, services.. " that have real value, Things you would most likely spend money on and would see a real savings by using the "Savings Dollars" ?

Also the 10% Discount for rentals - is that an actual discount taken off at time of payment, or is that a 10% credit to your account.?

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Again only a fairly small percentage of the cost can be used.

Here are a few examples again I have over $400 in saving dollars to spend.

Shark Rocket DeluxePro Upright
Market Price Savings Using Your Price
$199.00 $26.00 $173.00

Samsung 55" 4K UHDTV
$897.00 $97.00 $800.00

Apple iPad Mini 2 32GB WiFi with Retina Display
$349.00 $29.00 $320.00

Citizen Watch Silhouette Crystal Watch
$243.00 $70.00 $173.00

Fitbit One Wireless Sleep and Activity Tracker
$95.00 $32.00 $63.00

Other than some watches, jewelry and pocketbooks very few offerings.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Do the "Savings Dollars" apply to "products, services.. " that have real value, Things you would most likely spend money on and would see a real savings by using the "Savings Dollars" ?

Also the 10% Discount for rentals - is that an actual discount taken off at time of payment, or is that a 10% credit to your account.?

It's a 10% discount at time of purchase. We usually do two or three extra vacations a year, so that adds up.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I primarily joined for rebates of guest cert. and combine fees...unfortunately, those were taken away shortly after I'd paid for a 3-year membership.:doh:

Somewhere upstream I read of Hyatts/hotels no longer being available in Special Inventory and that was news to me.