• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Membership...Whose names to List??

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been a member of RCI for over 20 years. I now have grown children who would like to use our membership every now and then either with or without us.

The latest instance is an upcoming trip to Hawaii where our Daughter will be meeting us there and will be arriving at the Resort a day before we are able to get there. I called the resort to see if she could check in before we arrive. They are saying that even if we will be checking in the next day, she will need a guest certificate to check in. We plan to be traveling a good bit in the next few years as we are getting ready to retire and travel is in our foreseeable future. I am hoping to finally use a lot of the banked and deposited weeks I have with RCI.

It was my understanding that there can be two names on a RCI membership and check-in can be done by either listed member and the spouse. I called RCI twice and got different answers both times. The first call resulted in the rep checking with his supervisor and telling me that only the listed members on the membership could check in. The second said that listed members and their spouses could check in. The second said I could add my daughter by faxing a request to RCI stating the change of name in writing and faxing a document that listed her as an owner of one of the timeshare weeks that we own. Luckily, as soon as she was 18 I did buy a rtu timeshare in Mexico that will expire in a couple of years and I do have her listed as an owner. I plan to send the paperwork in on Monday to take my name off and add her name on to the RCI membership. I have never deposited this week with RCI even though it is an RCI resort, hopefully they will not be a problem.

Has anyone ever done this before? And if so- what might I be missing in my plan? I can't seem to find the original terms of membership listed anywhere-if anyone has a link it would be appreciated. I

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Generally the only names on the RCI membership would be the names on the deed. Only 2 can be listed as the primary members. At one point they allowed points members to add additional names. Some got the names on and I think they still remain. They changed that to only allow deeded owners as additional authorized users.

They won't let my husband be added to my RCI membership as he isn't on any of the deeds. If he were on some but not all RCI might require me to have separate paid membership for weeks with my name only and another for ones listed with multiple owners.

At one point RCI had a program that would allow you to pay for a Guest cert that would be good for one person to have unlimited guest certs for a year for one fee or for 3 or 5 years for another single (but higher) fee. I don't know if they still have that program.

Hopefully it will work with the single week that is also in her name without requiring an additional membership.

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked the RCI site and guest certificate fees are up to $69!!! I need to get this done for the future. Then it would be my luck that spouses wouldn't be able to check in. The fees just keep going up, up, up. I am platinum, I have a request for the next day check in. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that will come through. She might just have to put off having the extra night. Hawaii is ultra expensive as it is. :(

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Generally the only names on the RCI membership would be the names on the deed. Only 2 can be listed as the primary members. At one point they allowed points members to add additional names. Some got the names on and I think they still remain. They changed that to only allow deeded owners as additional authorized users.

They won't let my husband be added to my RCI membership as he isn't on any of the deeds. If he were on some but not all RCI might require me to have separate paid membership for weeks with my name only and another for ones listed with multiple owners.

At one point RCI had a program that would allow you to pay for a Guest cert that would be good for one person to have unlimited guest certs for a year for one fee or for 3 or 5 years for another single (but higher) fee. I don't know if they still have that program.

Hopefully it will work with the single week that is also in her name without requiring an additional membership.

You can buy a 5 year guest certifucate for $149. I will check in the RCI website and get the exact name. That person would be able to use your account.

BRB

Couldn't find it in RCI but referenced here in several threads

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169727&highlight=5+year+guest
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110432&highlight=5+year+guest
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36101&highlight=5+year+guest

HTH

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
yes, I wasn't sure if they still offered it or not.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
$69!!!! guest certificate

Just this morning I called the resort to add my brother's name because he will arrive before I arrive. The resort was insistent that we had to go through RCI and that there might be a fee. I tried to explain that I was only arriving a little bit late, but they would not budge.

RCI told me that it now costs $69! I was shocked because it used to cost around $35 I recall. I know how things have gone up, but this is just another one of RCI's money grabs.

This is not a situation where I am gifting my brother the entire week and I won't be there. But anyway, it is what it is.....

Before I just called the resort and they simply added the name and I arrived the next day. BTW this is Spinnaker resort in HHI.

I just checked the RCI site and guest certificate fees are up to $69!!! I need to get this done for the future. Then it would be my luck that spouses wouldn't be able to check in. The fees just keep going up, up, up. I am platinum, I have a request for the next day check in. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that will come through. She might just have to put off having the extra night. Hawaii is ultra expensive as it is. :(

Last edited: