• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Exchanges + Rooms

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I've spent many, many hours on RCI now playing around and looking at different things and I noticed a trend in some of the reviews on the tropical destinations I was looking at.

As RCI exchangers we had a low level unit looking out onto the road and distant sewage treatment plant (which could be smelled some days). We were told that RCI exchangers only get these type units

We also were told that they give RCI members the lagoon view and not ocean view

I was told that it is now their policy to give RCI members one of the few rooms that overlook the entrance and street rather than the ocean

Is this pretty much the status quo in tropical locations with RCI? Expect the worse possible room location/no views?

Just trying to set my expectations appropriately, so that if I take a vacation somewhere I care about views, I find other ways of booking it.

Thanks,
Nico

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
As an RCI exchanger I frequently have been assigned the unit with the worst view. When ever I have asked to be moved to a better room I have been told nothing is available, and I have also been told that since I was on an exchange I would not be assigned a premium room. Maybe others have had better experiences, but I haven't. I must say my experience is the same when exchanging through II. Sue

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
If you go in peak seasons your probably gonna get the dumpster view but since I travel mostly off season I usually can get an upgraded view if I ask nicely. ;)

There are some resorts where the check in date determines your view so knowing that all Sunday check in's for example, will score an ocean front is valuable info. Many times I call the resort and ask if there are multiple check-in options like Fri/Sat/Sun.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info chriskre.

Most of my traveling is done in off-peak times anyways, so that's good to know. :)

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's realistic to expect the worst view as exchangers. Owners using their weeks are going to be the first priority.

Sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised. Many resorts DO give exchangers decent views / upgrades /etc., because 1) they want to get higher scores with the exchange company and 2) they want you to have a good experience so you'll buy there. But it's very much YMMV.

As Christine says, just ask nicely when you check in. Don't expect or demand it.

strandlover

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's realistic to expect the worst view as exchangers. Owners using their weeks are going to be the first priority.

Sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised. Many resorts DO give exchangers decent views / upgrades /etc., because 1) they want to get higher scores with the exchange company and 2) they want you to have a good experience so you'll buy there. But it's very much YMMV.

As Christine says, just ask nicely when you check in. Don't expect or demand it.

I exchanged into HGVC at Seaworld and requested a specific building. I did just as suggested: I asked nicely and I received. HGVC is a first class operation and I was thrilled with their service.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think it depends. For (mostly) sold out resorts that are fixed week/fixed unit, you will most likely get the unit that was deposited into RCI. Most resorts with floating units tend to give owners priority in views over exchangers.

A lot of times when resorts are in sales mode they will purposely give exchangers the worst views even when mostly empty. "Sure you can exchange into our resort but you will always have the dumpster/parking lot view unless you own here." Sometimes they will agree to upgrade you to a better view if you take the "tour." Resorts that care about their rating with the exchange companies are less likely to do this all of the time.