• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI banked week question

Bonnie_Raitt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am new to TSing. We have leased points and bought a couple of TSs off of eBay. We have an RCI points account.

One of our recent eBay purchases had problems which prompts my question. We purchased a 2 BR LO at Sedona Summit, fixed week Thanksgiving. However, during closing we find out that it is actually a floating 1-52. Title company calls and says Thanksgiving week is not available. Since we specifically purchased this unit because it was fixed Thanksgiving and we planned to use it this year, the Title company offered to bank the following week and bank an additional 2 BR LO unit from their inventory to compensate us for screwing up.

Since we don't have a weeks account, the title company said they would give us access to their account so we could use these two weeks. Fine. My question is how flexible the 2 weeks are. We buy 2 BR LOs because we can split them up when we want and get 2 weeks out of them. Since these have been banked in RCI, do we still have that flexibility? Or do we have to use them as 2 BR units?

Of course this still leaves us without a place to stay for Thanksgiving. Any ideas on where to find a 1 or 2 bedroom in Arizona this late in the year?:(

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am going to move this so that you get more answers to your questions.

Welcome to TUG!!:wave:

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
1st of all, since they aren't supplying you with what you purchased

You can request they cancel the sale and refund your money.

If you accept their offer, and they bank 2 two bedrooms for you with RCI, then yes, you can only use them as 2 trades, based upon the trade value, the size has little to do with it in RCI. This is going to cost you at least $164 each time you make a trade, and since this account isn't in your name, I would guess you will also need to pay for a guest certificate, at another $59, making any week you get $223 in fees more than using your week at your resort.

I will email you about a place in AZ for turkey day.

fwiw,

Greg

I am new to TSing. We have leased points and bought a couple of TSs off of eBay. We have an RCI points account.

One of our recent eBay purchases had problems which prompts my question. We purchased a 2 BR LO at Sedona Summit, fixed week Thanksgiving. However, during closing we find out that it is actually a floating 1-52. Title company calls and says Thanksgiving week is not available. Since we specifically purchased this unit because it was fixed Thanksgiving and we planned to use it this year, the Title company offered to bank the following week and bank an additional 2 BR LO unit from their inventory to compensate us for screwing up.

Since we don't have a weeks account, the title company said they would give us access to their account so we could use these two weeks. Fine. My question is how flexible the 2 weeks are. We buy 2 BR LOs because we can split them up when we want and get 2 weeks out of them. Since these have been banked in RCI, do we still have that flexibility? Or do we have to use them as 2 BR units?

Of course this still leaves us without a place to stay for Thanksgiving. Any ideas on where to find a 1 or 2 bedroom in Arizona this late in the year?:(

Last edited:

Bonnie_Raitt

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can request they cancel the sale and refund your money.

If you accept their offer, and they bank 2 two bedrooms for you with RCI, then yes, you can only use them as 2 trades, based upon the trade value, the size has little to do with it in RCI. This is going to cost you at least $164 each time you make a trade, and since this account isn't in your name, I would guess you will also need to pay for a guest certificate, at another $59, making any week you get $223 in fees more than using your week at your resort.

I will email you about a place in AZ for turkey day.

fwiw,

Greg

For the record, they did offer me the option of a refund.

Assuming I get nicked for $223, would there be any other charges that I might see? I know on the points side I pay the points and the $164 fee.

Would I be able to rent it perhaps?

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can't rent anything your get from RCI

Like the government, RCI doesn't want you competing with them for prime rentals.:ignore:

With your points account, there is very little that you can't see due to trade power, not so with a weeks account. I ma guessing that the week after Thanksgiving is going to be a dog trader, so is it worth spending another $223 to trade for an off season, low value week? If they offered to refund you, why are you still trying to follow through on something that wasn't what you thought you were buying???

Greg

For the record, they did offer me the option of a refund.

Assuming I get nicked for $223, would there be any other charges that I might see? I know on the points side I pay the points and the $164 fee.

Would I be able to rent it perhaps?

Bonnie_Raitt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like the government, RCI doesn't want you competing with them for prime rentals.:ignore:

With your points account, there is very little that you can't see due to trade power, not so with a weeks account. I ma guessing that the week after Thanksgiving is going to be a dog trader, so is it worth spending another $223 to trade for an off season, low value week? If they offered to refund you, why are you still trying to follow through on something that wasn't what you thought you were buying???

Greg

Well, I guess I was thinking I like the 2 BR LO at Sedona Summit, I got it at a good price, and I'm getting an additional week as partial compensation. I realize that it might be a better idea to cancel the purchase but I didn't think was a no brainer to cancel.

For the record we paid $99 for the Sedona Summit unit (and it is a EOY)

Bonnie_Raitt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another question just occurred to me. Should I consider getting a weeks account to avoid the 2 guest charges?

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
$99 plus $399 to close plus this years fees, right?

I must not be speaking clearly:doh: , the weeks you are going to get won't get you to any nice resorts during any high demand period, they are going to cost you in fees about what you can pick up low demand Extra Vacations for plus what you paid for this years use..:annoyed:
The $99 price is only part of this purchase, then the closing and the 2008 fees and if the resort has a transfer fee, I just don't understand what you are seeing here ...

Greg

Well, I guess I was thinking I like the 2 BR LO at Sedona Summit, I got it at a good price, and I'm getting an additional week as partial compensation. I realize that it might be a better idea to cancel the purchase but I didn't think was a no brainer to cancel.

For the record we paid $99 for the Sedona Summit unit (and it is a EOY)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I agree - basically the seller sold this unit under false pretenses and now they are trying to get you to take something that's worth far less, for the price of a fixed Thanksgiving week. :eek:

I certainly would NOT go through with this purchase. Let it go and look for what you really want!

Last edited:

Bonnie_Raitt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok you've convinced me. I called and canceled the purchase. They did say that they would have paid the guest fee.

Thanks for your help. I hope I made the right decision

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Next year, when you are enjoying

the resort and week you really want, you will know for sure that not buying something you didn't want was exactly right.

It is very easy to buy the wrong timeshare, it is much harder to sell.

Take your time, there are lots of great buys around, pick on that you will use, and you will be very happy.

jmho,

Greg

Ok you've convinced me. I called and canceled the purchase. They did say that they would have paid the guest fee.

Thanks for your help. I hope I made the right decision

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You made the RIGHT decision to cancel. Another deal will come along and it will be the one you want.

Floating weeks is the "invention" between deeded weeks and a points system. With a FIXED week, you don't have to hope to get th vacation week you want. With the points system, you can go multiple places based upon how much you want to "pay" in points. With a floating weeks, you have to wrangle a good week to trade or use.

So, if you wanted week 47 (This year's Thanksgiving vs 2007, it was week46), BUY week 47.