• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ranking the Top Timeshare Systems

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Duke -- your advice on requalification has always been excellent. But, I don't think most participants of this board put any real value on the Elite program or the ability to exchange for StarPoints. Fred's comments are not designed to convince people to requalify.

Jerseygirl:

Right, you are. My comments simply point out that V resort resale prices have been overdone. They currently represent great value, IMO, irrespective of anything else. If Starwood does reverse course, current prices will prove to be exceptional values. I agree with you that prices will rise.

Duke:

Your point is a good one. But, not everyone is looking to become a 5* elite. Some are simply looking for a single week. If Starwood reverses course, V resort resales will be on the same footing as M resort resales. That is my only point (except membership will not be mandatory).

Fredm

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
There's an idea - buy up all the resale V resorts you can afford at low costs in anticipation of SVO/SVN changing their policy - and when they increase in value from their very depressed prices when the policy is changed - cash in. lol

I agree that SVO/SVN could easily change their policy - but certainly wouldn't count (gamble) on it.

Heck - I would be glad for them to pay me to opt-out of SVN for our WKORV OF, WSJ, and WPORV VOIs - I don't ever intend to use SVN - why would we?
I find it only useful for WKV.

Fred - you mention before that SVN membership is 'deeded' with a M property - I don't think that this is the case, but it may just be semantics - it is certainly part of the original agreement signed in the contract. I haven't carefully looked at our deeds, but I don't recall SVN membership being listed (just the usual deed text).

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's an idea - buy up all the resale V resorts you can afford at low costs in anticipation of SVO/SVN changing their policy - and when they increase in value from their very depressed prices when the policy is changed - cash in. lol

I agree that SVO/SVN could easily change their policy - but certainly wouldn't count (gamble) on it.

Heck - I would be glad for them to pay me to opt-out of SVN for our WKORV OF, WSJ, and WPORV VOIs - I don't ever intend to use SVN - why would we?
I find it only useful for WKV.

Fred - you mention before that SVN membership is 'deeded' with a M property - I don't think that this is the case, but it may just be semantics - it is certainly part of the original agreement signed in the contract. I haven't carefully looked at our deeds, but I don't recall SVN membership being listed (just the usual deed text).

Davenrobin,

It may be semantics. The term used is "inseparable" from the deed. "Inseparable" and "attached" are the words being split.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Starwood to reverse course either.
I am not advocating a purchase strategy based on that happening. I do think that V resort resales represent an excellent value given the beating they have taken in the market. Further, they represent excellent trade opportunities with I.I. (based on the trade results reported on this board alone). That value will be even better if Starwood does what I think they will do. No one should buy any resort they do not intend to occupy.

Yours is an excellent representation of what I am referring to, however.
The resorts you own, you intend to occupy, for the most part. Per your comment, if you could avoid SVN dues you would. Well, if Starwood does reverse course, V resale buyers would not only have the same standing as an M resale buyer, they would also have the latitude to not pay the dues you wish you could escape.

This all goes back to my belief that too much is made of the value of StarOptions. Their absence in a V resort resale does not justify the beating the price has taken compared to the resale prices of M resorts, IMO.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
An interesting thread where the majority of the discussion is about the problems with the exchange program. That makes sense as once you get past the initial purchase the most important issue that lasts the life of ownership is getting reservations. When you pay good money for a premium property you certainly would expect a user friendly system that works for everyone.

Makes me appreciate the Hyatt system all the more.

Spring Training Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I loved the thread and have gained a lot of knowledge on the hotel systems. I am wanting to get started in one. I own DVC, but would like to get into another system. My question is, which one is best for a minimum price? For example, does everyone feel they get a better value with a very low point value in Hyatt (1300 points) or HGVC (3500 points) or SVO (with 37,000 points) or getting a bronze week in the Marriott system? What would everyone recommend for someone with no kids and very flexible in travel, and not a ton of funds to buy the platinum of anything?

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
I loved the thread and have gained a lot of knowledge on the hotel systems. I am wanting to get started in one. I own DVC, but would like to get into another system. My question is, which one is best for a minimum price? For example, does everyone feel they get a better value with a very low point value in Hyatt (1300 points) or HGVC (3500 points) or SVO (with 37,000 points) or getting a bronze week in the Marriott system? What would everyone recommend for someone with no kids and very flexible in travel, and not a ton of funds to buy the platinum of anything?

I wouldn't buy SVO for the price although that is all I own. I noticed your blogname and have to say that the Westin Kierland is a great property in Scottsdale. You could pick up a Platinum 2Br LO resale for about $22k which has 148k StarOptions and would give you 2 weeks (if split) for spring training each year. MF are reasonable compared to other SVO properties and the resort is Mandatory so you could exchange if you wanted to. I don't know too much about Marriott or Hyatt but 37,000 SVO StarOptions won't get you much in a direct exchange.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Davenrobin,

It may be semantics. The term used is "inseparable" from the deed. "Inseparable" and "attached" are the words being split.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Starwood to reverse course either.
I am not advocating a purchase strategy based on that happening. I do think that V resort resales represent an excellent value given the beating they have taken in the market. Further, they represent excellent trade opportunities with I.I. (based on the trade results reported on this board alone). That value will be even better if Starwood does what I think they will do. No one should buy any resort they do not intend to occupy.

Yours is an excellent representation of what I am referring to, however.
The resorts you own, you intend to occupy, for the most part. Per your comment, if you could avoid SVN dues you would. Well, if Starwood does reverse course, V resale buyers would not only have the same standing as an M resale buyer, they would also have the latitude to not pay the dues you wish you could escape.

This all goes back to my belief that too much is made of the value of StarOptions. Their absence in a V resort resale does not justify the beating the price has taken compared to the resale prices of M resorts, IMO.

Fred - thanks for clarifying

Although I'd prefer to forego the SVN fee - it is worth it for WKV - besides it is only ~$130/yr for all of them - cheap in comparison to total vacation cost. The addition $599 fee would suck. I think the SVN policy could change and that V resorts can be a value (esp trying to get to 5* PFL as duke points out) - I was joking about buying...

I agree that SOs don't matter for many (us) - except for WKV.

We bought our SVO VOIs for many reasons, but location and quality were the main reason. WPORV is the only V resort that has a location we would buy (and did). Most other V resorts locations and types do not appeal to us - and we would only buy where we want to stay even if we wanted 5*PFL. We bought OF WKORV afterall...

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score

We too own DVC and enjoy our membership very much. DVC does spoil you as far as timeshares.

Where cost is an important factor, don't let that be your driving force. Buy where you would want to stay. Look at each system and see if they have the resorts you want in the locations you want to visit. Also figure out what type of vaction you want. For example, we don't ski so it really doesn't matter to us how ski resorts a particular system has. We are beach/sun people and prefer tropical locations for our vacations. If its below 70 degrees out, my wife is cold.

All of the systems seem to work well, yo ujust need to find the one that works for you. When it comes down to it, IMO all of the hotel-based timeshares are good systems.

Sir Newf

TUG Member
Reaction score
To Spring Training Fan: We (2 of us), have found HGVC extremely flexible for 3 or 4 day get aways...Using off-season, 1bdrm, for Vegas, Orlando and soon Maribisa, CA, we have lots of points left over from the 3500 annual- we really don't want or need anymore...the conversion to Hotel points is not great- but it's cool for overnite in NYC (at the US Open)...I say, for 2 adults with flex schedules, 3500 HGVC is plently...map out your vacations with the points- you'll see for yourself if it works...
IMHO, the SVO 37k Bronze may be more limiting, We own 67K Platnium and that works fine, but any less would be tough to eek out several get-aways, like we do w/HGVC, and no conversion to hotel w/SVO on resale....Have Fun.:)

Last edited:
S

Steamboat Bill

What would everyone recommend for someone with no kids and very flexible in travel, and not a ton of funds to buy the platinum of anything?

Marriott SummittWatch Bronze can be a great value for Flex exchanges (less than 60 days of travel). The cost from marriott is only $1500 (total to buy)and about $800 per year MF. This is only good for trading in II Flex.

You might also want to consider Worldmark or Bluegreen as value timeshares.

reddiablosv

TUG Member
Reaction score
SVO#1, Hilton#2

Because you can still pick up these weeks resale on ebay for peanuts without ROFR at mandatory or affiliate resorts on ebay!!! In my experience, Comprable Marriotts and Hyatts sell for more! And the ease in trading just is not there! Ben

Spring Training Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which program is better at being able to rent your unit/points to get enough to get your maintenance fees back if you can't use them that year? DVC is very good about being able to rent your points to others without any fees and it is easy to get enough to pay for your MF's. Are any of the others easy to rent the points?

mesamirage

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own and prefer Hyatt but I have to say my Sheraton Desert Oasis units rent easier and more consistantly for Spring Training weeks than trying to rent a Hyatt premium week. I have yet to have an SDO Spring training week go without being rented. SDO stands out even more for a great renter is you compare MF vs rental price. Kierland (just sold) would rent for a higher price but the initial cost and MFs are much higher.... making an SDO rental a much better renter.

Steve

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
iam not a baseball fan,so please don't laugh at this question,how long is spring training? i am trying to rent a week at sdo from 3/22-3/29 ,it is easter, but it is it also spring training? do people actually come to arizona for spring training? when do these baseball fans start planning for their trip to watch the games? as you an see i am totaly clueless. know all about broadway,but not baseball.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The first day of Spring Training is Feb. 28th and the last day is Mar. 28th. The tentative schedules are out now. Fans are planning their March trips now. Lots of people go to spring training and Easter week should be popular.

Bill4728

Reaction score

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What's the point of all this super-sized rhetoric?

How about we let the owners of multiple different timeshares and those who have visted multiple hotel-based timeshares speak up.

Personally
I love Marriott's for now, but have never been to another hotel based TS except for Sheraton's Vistana Resort. I definitely thought it was a step down from the 4 Marriott's that I have been to. I have been to other independent timeshare, again, they were all lower quality than Marriott.

I am hoping to vistit some of the nicer Westin's in the future. My gut feeling is that I won't come away disappointed. :D

IMO

Carmel85

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love this thread I see we all love our different timeshares no doubt about it!!!

I just wish we all could start our own really good exchange company among ourselves at get ride of II and RCI.

ALL WESTIN,MARRIOTT,DVC,HILTON ,Four Seasons AND HYATT owners all coming together to start a great exchange program!!!

We all can work as one and really make traveling and exchanging great fun for all 5 star timeshare companies !!! Year in Year out!!!!

maybe we can start a really easy way to exchange on this board. Yes there are some areas to exchange and rent on this board but wouldn't it be nice to make it simple

Week,Resort and unit size?

I would love to see this happen!!!! BUT for only 5 star resort and not all the other junky timeshare resort companies out there!!!:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: