• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ranking the Top Timeshare Systems

mesamirage

TUG Member
Reaction score
*Admin Edit: Wanted to include the chart that has been compiled to update this original thread from back in 2006! Its amazing how far things have come!

http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/timeshare-system-comparison-chart.html

Original post below
---------------------------------

If you had to Rank the top 4 Hotel based Timeshare systems how would you rank them from 1st to 4th (There is no last since they all provide great vacations for us TUGGERs)

I think we all agree that the top 4 Hotel based systems are: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Westin.

Here is how I would rank them and a short reason for each off why I put them in the order I did.

#1 Starwood- I just finally picked up a Westin week (EOY Platium Kierland). This is the resort that got me started 3 years ago on timeshares. Went to a presentation and left thinking "We have to own a week at this place". PROs- I personally feel that Westin has it going on, the quality of the resorts seems to us to be Best in Class to the other Hotel based systems. CONs- High maintence fees, terrible reservation system.. get real!! People are spending $10's of thousands of $$$ just to have the pleasure of getting up at 5am to "attempt" to make a reservation.

#2 Marriott- Now I have never stayed at the Marriott resorts so this is all perception. I get the impression that the Hawaii locations they have are fantastic. PRO's- Lots of quality resorts.. specifically great Hawaii locations. CONs- Not sure?? Higher maintence fees?? Avg internal trading system??

#3 Hyatt- To be honest I would have ranked Hyatt 2nd but since I'm an owner (1880 Gold week, Tahoe) I thought this would look biased if I ranked the 2 resorts I own as 1/2. PROs Hyatt has a great system for reservations and/or just using your deeded week. Great ski locations, quality Key West locations (Sunset Harbot is getting older in my opinion) CONs Not enough locations

#4 Hilton- I also have not been to Hilton, so I am making this assumption based on what their Hotels are like. Quality.. but it always has left me wanting a bit more. Pros?? CONs???

So that is just my opinion to get this thread started, I would like to see how other TUGGERs rank these systems vs each other.

Thx,

Steve

Rankings
1st place vote gets 4 points/2nd 3 points/3rd 2 points/4th 1 point

Starwood 28 points!!
6 1st place votes
1 3rd place
2 4th place

Hilton 27 points
3 1st place
2 2nd place
4 3rd place
1 4th place

Marriott 24 points
3 1st place
4 2nd place

Hyatt 19 points
2 1st place
2 2nd place
1 3rd place
3 4th place

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve

Reaction score
Good topic. Here's how I rate them:

1) Marriott. By far the most...and best...locations. Plus (with only a few exceptions) the resorts are beautifully decorated and maintained. Great swimming pools and amenities, too. I feel Marriott is the industry leader in timeshares by a wide margin. The cons: expensive...less flexible...resale buyers can't exchange for reward points.

2) Hyatt. High quality, intimate resorts in highly desirable locations. The cons: not enough locations...very complex points system that is more rigid than it needs to be...resale buyers can't exchange for hotel points.

3) Hilton. Extremely flexible and easy to use program. Allows resale buyers to convert to HHonors points. Some great affiliate resorts in wonderful locations. The cons: way too few company built locations...and Hilton is expanding too slowly.

4) Starwood. Quality resorts (but not as appealing to me as most Marriotts). The cons: Not nearly enough locations...fees are even higher than Marriott...the small one bedroom side of the lock off units are really cramped...Starwood doesn't have nearly as many hotels in places I like to travel as Hilton and Marriott so the affinity credit cards and other offers are of little interest to me.

Steve

Sir Newf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Boy, to me it's like compairing Audi vs SAAB vs Volvo vs BMW...it all depends on what you personally want from the experience. You can't really go wrong, unless you make the wrong choice for your personal needs: size of unit/points, location, trade ability, type of experience (Vegas vs Mountains).
That being said- we chose HGVC for the points transfer on resale to HH pts. for global travel and for Vegas long-weekends in winter. We chose Westin (resale) for the pure beauty and luxury for places like Kierland, Maui & Mission Hills in winter....and Laguna Shores (resale)- well- it's Laguna and I can't afford a $3million vacation home, so once a year I have it....:)

Last edited:
S

Steamboat Bill

This is a great thread, but it still comes down to, "Where do you want to visit?"

I visit Disney World often, thus I own a DVC and think they have the BEST system for Orlando, but it is not so good for trading.

I like to ski once a year, thus I own a Westgate Park City because I liked the location and units better than the other two Marriotts in Park City.

I want to buy a Marriott Williamsburgh, so I can play golf and then trade to other Marriott locations.

I think Hilton, Hyatt, and Starwood are fine TS companies, the only problem was a LACK of locations I was interested in. I would love to buy Hyatt, if they expand to another 15 locations or so.

djp

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me, I would put marriot and starwood as tied for first, and Hyatt and Hilton as tied for second.

MArriott has an unbeatable collection of resorts
Starwood is adding new resorts in great locations at a good pace, I find the typical starwood to be a litlle nicer than the typical marriott. I believe starwoods internal trading is easier than marriott, and starwoods hotel point conversion seems to be a better deal than marriott

Hyatt and Hilton both seem very nice, but dont have the resorts in as many places I want to go

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) Marriott.. Internal trading preference and the locations are great, I don't like the reservations nightmare of trying to get prime weeks at a prime resort.
2) Hilton, they have the most flexible and easiest to use points system.. and they are by far the best for short Vegas trips (which I take often)
Also, they do not punish resale buyers. I wish they traded with II
3)Starwood, I hate that they punish "non-mandatory" resort owners, by driving down resale prices. Other than Maui, I'm not really into the locations
4)Hyatt, they have great locations for some people.. but not many that I would use. None of my top 3 locations

My typical vacations are Vegas, Hawaii, So Cal Coast.
Marriott is best for Hawaii
Hilton is best for Vegas and soon to be So Cal.
Hilton is much easier to book prime weeks than Marriott.

All of the resort groups are top notch in quality.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
CaliDave said:
Hilton is best for Vegas and soon to be So Cal.

Just curious Dave, are you rating the new Marbrisa (or whatever the name is) better than the Marriott Newport? If so, why?

Also gotta admit, that if Hyatt builds at Huntington Beach, it's going to be a great location just across the PCH from the beach.

Last edited:

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
tomandrobin said:
Where would Fairfield fit in here, or is it not considered Hotel based?

FF definitely not in hotel based. It starts as TS, the parent company is doing purchase on all type of activities. They just recently rebrand themselves to a hotel Wyndham, so it may take years to be seem as hotel based. All others starts as hotel then come to TS.

Now viva Wyndham may start as Hotel based. Apparently it does not work well, so the name Wyndham was sold to CD and take over FF. If based on this, I am pretty sure most hotel based owner will not rank FF high.

Jya-Ning

Last edited:

glenn1000

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
1. Starwood- the nicest resorts by far in our experience. Even though there are not as many locations as we would like, there are some great resorts. I think that Starwood is the best on Maui and when the Kauai location opens it will be the best for Hawaii in general. That's our #1 vacation destination.

2. Marriott- very nice resorts and many great locations. Our Marriott week is fixed which has saved us from some of the reservations issues people complain about.

3. Hilton- though we have less experience personally with Hilton, it seems like a great option.

4. Hyatt- last of the four only because of the lack of locations that we want to visit. The quality is great so when they open more resorts I imagine that Hyatt's TS popularity will grow.

If the question was about hotels only (not TS), I'd rank it: Starwood, Hyatt, Marriott and Hilton.

djp

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my opinion if Starwood added a So. cal beach location a lake tahoe resort, and a Vegas resort, coupled with its current (maui, st jon, atlantis, vail/beaver creek, florida, phoenix, palm springs, myrtle beach) and forthcoming resorts (kuai-2, and cancun) then I believe it would then be far and above the best hotel timeshare system. the quality and ease of reservations apart from using ii I think will set it apart as they add more resorts.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Steve said:
4) Starwood. Quality resorts (but not as appealing to me as most Marriotts). The cons: Not nearly enough locations...fees are even higher than Marriott...the small one bedroom side of the lock off units are really cramped

Steve - where did you stay that you found the lock-off to be cramped? We think the small side of our Maui unit is very spacious, but I haven't stayed at any of the Starwood properties yet.

bobemac

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The top timeshares

I'll have to admit, I have a bias here.

Traveling on business for many years, I have become a top elite
in all four programs. Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, and Starwood Platinum.
I prefer the Hilton and Hyatt hotel program over the other two. I'm
currently a Hyatt Diamond, and a Hilton Diamond. Hyatt hotels have
superior service with limited locations. Hilton afflliated properties are everywhere.

Four years ago I decided that Hilton Grand Vacations Club gave me the most
latitude, and quality. I purchased a HGVC TS at resale for a great price. I just
purchased an additional HGVC TS. I now have 12,000 points.

My schedule is pretty open. I can select many HGVC properties in off season, or trade to RCI at lower point levels. My buying power and choices are amazing.

HGVC is making a tremendous expansion. They are adding new properties
in SoCal, Bermuda, Portugal, Scotland, and even NYC. The are expanding
their holdings in Waikiki, Waikoloa, and Las Vegas.

Hilton quality is high, and service is great. Now, they are expanding to
some of the best locations. Who else is in Portugal or Bermuda?
These two locations will be my first choices.

Last edited:

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
ricoba said:
Just curious Dave, are you rating the new Marbrisa (or whatever the name is) better than the Marriott Newport? If so, why?

Also gotta admit, that if Hyatt builds at Huntington Beach, it's going to be a great location just across the PCH from the beach.

Yes, I am talking about Marbrisa..
I like the Carlsbad/Oceanside area better than where Marriott is located.
If it was around the Balboa Pier, I would love that.
I believe the resorts will be comparable. Marbrisa will have a better pool complex.

Huntington is great, but the power plant and Santa Ana river are turn offs.

If I had to make a So Cal purchase choice to buy HGVC or Marriott Newport. I would buy HGVC.
Reasons being.
I can have several short stays with HGVC or a longer than a week stay.
I can choose anyday for checkin
Premium Hiltons are typically easier to book than Marriott
When I run out of points I can pay a low cash rental rate for 2 night minimums.

MLC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sir Newf said:
Boy, to me it's like compairing Audi vs SAAB vs Volvo vs BMW...it all depends on what you personally want from the experience. You can't really go wrong, unless you make the wrong choice for your personal needs: size of unit/points, location, trade ability, type of experience (Vegas vs Mountains).
That being said- we chose HGVC for the points transfer on resale to HH pts. for global travel and for Vegas long-weekends in winter. We chose Westin (resale) for the pure beauty and luxury for places like Kierland, Maui & Mission Hills in winter....and Laguna Shores (resale)- well- it's Laguna and I can't afford a $3million vacation home, so once a year I have it....:)

I could not have said it any better. I own all of these, and each one has it"s good points and it's bad points. That is why I own each system. That being said, Hyatt is the most complicated to understand in regards to getting the best bang for your buck. All you tuggers have given excellant opinions and none of us buy for the same reason,and that is what makes the world go round. Have a great day.

Seth Nock

Reaction score
Hilton has the most availability and is the easiest to reserve allowing you to choose the # of nights (3 night minimum if booked more than 30 days in advance, 2 night minimum if booked less than 30 days in advance). It has the second most locations - closer in # to Marriott if you count their new partnership withClub Intrawest.

Marriott has the most locations. The drawbacks are that you must book a week at a time and if you want to go to another Marriott Location, you have to go through II.

Hyatt has great location and a very good point system allowing 2 night minimum bookings. The problems is it is VERY limiting if you need to borrow points. Also, if you book airline tickets far in advance, you cannot as you typically get your confirmation 6 months in advance. Also they don't have that many locations. Also, a number of there locations are not deeded, just right to use.

Disney (I am adding them) as most people with kids want to go to Disney. the drawbacks are that you must book far in advance for the most desired times. It too is not deeded. It is very easy yo transfer points from 1 member to anouther which can be a great benefit.

Starwood is not that easy to find availablity and their maintenance fees tend to be higher. They do have incredible properties though.

azsunluvr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own Starwood, so I'm biased. Have loved it!

Curious, though. Friends own Marriott and have a heck of a time trying to get in anywhere. They can never get what they want. Is there no internal trading so they have to go through II, as stated above?

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed while folks like MLC own all the mentioned resorts he/she also has Four Seasons...a name no one has talked about thus far.

Not that I can go out and get a Four Seasons, but I can dream can't I??? :)

BTW, this has been a very interesting thread.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Just a word about Four Seasons.

1. They are the top two rated TS here on TUG.

2. Their units are huge. The studio side is big as some one bedroom units.

3. All TS as assoc with a hotel so they have room service, great restaurants, daily maid service ect.

4. Bad- They have huge MF almost twice the MF of most nice resorts.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I prefer them in this order:

1) Hyatt. I love their resorts and the new locations they are adding. And, I like the point system they created.

2) Marriott. I like how many resorts they have, but they are not a point system and it is too hard to get a room with a view.

3) HGVC. Good solid points program and good locations.

4) Starwood. A couple of the off the chart resorts and a great hotel program.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Here's my idea for mixing the perfect timeshare system...

Combine:

HGVC ease of booking and stays of less than a week with...

Marriott locations, and

Starwood quality of resorts, and

Hyatt attention to detail, and

Four Seasons service, and

DVC's cancellation, banking and borrowing policies, including no fee to book, and finally,

Include a nice gift basket with every stay :) . There! My mixture for a perfect timeshare. Add a beach and I'd have to buy a week or two.

I think that every system has its pros and cons. If there was one great system, we'd all own an interval or two, and then compete against each other for the best weeks. And then it wouldn't be so great anymore ;) !

MLC

TUG Member
Reaction score
deniselew said:
Combine:

HGVC ease of booking and stays of less than a week with...

Marriott locations, and

Starwood quality of resorts, and

Hyatt attention to detail, and

Four Seasons service, and

DVC's cancellation, banking and borrowing policies, including no fee to book, and finally,

Include a nice gift basket with every stay :) . There! My mixture for a perfect timeshare. Add a beach and I'd have to buy a week or two.

I think that every system has its pros and cons. If there was one great system, we'd all own an interval or two, and then compete against each other for the best weeks. And then it wouldn't be so great anymore ;) !

That would be a perfect dream. I can see it now can't you.

Steve

Reaction score
DeniseM said:
Steve - where did you stay that you found the lock-off to be cramped? We think the small side of our Maui unit is very spacious, but I haven't stayed at any of the Starwood properties yet.

Hi Denise,

The resort I was thinking of most is Sheraton's Desert Oasis in Scottsdale. We had the whole 2 bedroom unit, but I gave my parents the larger side and stayed in the small lock off side. Small is the key word! The living room and bedroom were both tiny. I would have much rather been in one of Marriott's studio lock offs for the week than in that cramped 1 bedroom.

Steve

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
MLC said:
That would be a perfect dream. I can see it now can't you.

And I forgot to add,

Resales are treated like developer purchases :D . It's a great dream!