• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ranking the Top Timeshare Systems

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
4. Marriott-good quality, lots of properties, must use II for internal exchanges

You do know that Marriott has it's own points program now, and that all reservations within this program are done internally, not through II?

mesamirage

TUG Member
Reaction score
I missed this first time around. I looked into HGVC, SVO and Hyatt seriously but not Marriott since they are only a weeks program.

My rankings are:

1. Hyatt - Pros great points program allowing you to book partial weeks i.e. 3 day weekend or lower points 2 or 4 day weekdays. I love KW properties and Carmel and had heard great things about other locations Cons: not as many locations as the others.

**Hyatt is adding some great locations.. Siesta Keys recently, Miami, and now a NEW Maui location is being built!!**

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, if you buy resale with Marriott, you don't have access to DC points, which is a big disadvantage. At least with Starwood you can buy at a mandatory property and internally trade with other Starwood properties. With Hyatt or Hilton, if you have enough points, you can internally trade anywhere. This seems to be a big disadvantage from a relative standpoint unless you are buying to stay at the same TS every year or you externally trade through II (which some on the Marriott forum are saying it is becoming increasingly more difficult). Even if you are lucky enough to be able to buy points, the cost of the number required at a Marriott in Hawaii is quite expensive relative to the others mentioned with the exception of Hyatt, which doesn't have a property there yet (in the process of development).

[/B]OTE=thinze3;1481717]You do know that Marriott has it's own points program now, and that all reservations within this program are done internally, not through II?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is an open thread, where anyone can express their opinion.

Last edited:

texascowboy

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own Hyatt, Marriott and Hilton. None of the hotel based systems have the quality of resorts that Hyatt does. Siesta Key, Aspen, Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Maui and Sunset Harbor are amazing resorts. Some of them would be above 5 star or 5 Diamond. My only complaint with Hyatt is limited locations. Marriott has nice properties and lots of locations. They also have activities that are very good at most resorts. Hilton has the best website and booking sytem. We love to be able to book 12 nights or more and stay in the same room. We also love Vegas and Hilton has several properties there. Starwood has nice properties. Second to Hyatt. Overall I rank them 1-Hyatt, 2-Hilton, 3-Marriott and 4-Starwood.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
HGVC is also suppose to be getting a Maui location. They have the land, But Maui politics is the issue, permitting is always the issue in Maui these days.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Was this ever a poll at one point? Seems some of the early threads indicate this may have been a poll, but I don't see it. Perhaps it was removed when transferred to Xenforo?

mesamirage

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was this ever a poll at one point? Seems some of the early threads indicate this may have been a poll, but I don't see it. Perhaps it was removed when transferred to Xenforo?

I never setup a poll... back when I started the post I am not sure there was the option, I would just tally the numbers every few months. :) We should start a new poll and see where things are now for voting.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own Hyatt, Marriott and Hilton. None of the hotel based systems have the quality of resorts that Hyatt does. Siesta Key, Aspen, Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Maui and Sunset Harbor are amazing resorts. Some of them would be above 5 star or 5 Diamond. My only complaint with Hyatt is limited locations. Marriott has nice properties and lots of locations. They also have activities that are very good at most resorts. Hilton has the best website and booking sytem. We love to be able to book 12 nights or more and stay in the same room. We also love Vegas and Hilton has several properties there. Starwood has nice properties. Second to Hyatt. Overall I rank them 1-Hyatt, 2-Hilton, 3-Marriott and 4-Starwood.

Four years later, my ranking has changed slightly. I would now place Hyatt first because of resort quality and unique locations. Westin drops to second, although still a strong showing. Marriott comes in third. Quality is generally a half notch below Hyatt and Westin, but very good locations. Hilton drops to fourth. Good locations, but resort quality is generally a half notch below that of Marriott.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
oh there has been plenty of quibbling! =D

its been a fun project for sure! gotten so much help from members in creating this and hashing out the details!

macmanrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Costa Sur PV Mexico
This is a great thread, but it still comes down to, "Where do you want to visit?"

I visit Disney World often, thus I own a DVC and think they have the BEST system for Orlando, but it is not so good for trading.

I like to ski once a year, thus I own a Westgate Park City because I liked the location and units better than the other two Marriotts in Park City.

I want to buy a Marriott Williamsburgh, so I can play golf and then trade to other Marriott locations.

I think Hilton, Hyatt, and Starwood are fine TS companies, the only problem was a LACK of locations I was interested in. I would love to buy Hyatt, if they expand to another 15 locations or so.
I agree with you buy where you want to vacation. Both my timeshares have day use 1 is close to home.