• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Questions from first timers heading to Westin Desert Willow

TexasChic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin kanapali
Harborside
Sheraton flex
Hi, long time vistana/starwood owners. Going to Westin desert Willow for the first time in February. Any tips for us? We plan to golf three days and be tourists the other three. Thinking about: Joshua Tree, tram and jeep tour for touring. Appreciate any feedback on villa location, things to do, golf courses for average players and restaurants.

also a tactical question: what type of coffee makers are in the villas? I have filter packs from our visit to Harborside in the fall and will bring them if they will work.

thanks in advance

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Coffee makers are basket-style. Most of them are kind of a weird sort where the coffee goes into a receptacle rather than a pot, and there is a dispenser valve where you hold your coffee cup to fill it, sort of like a soda dispenser. Anyway it uses normal basket-style filters or you can use the filter packs with coffee in them. We usually buy a small package of ground coffee at Ralph's around the corner as we prefer decent coffee to the no-name dreck they usually supply (and we bring filters.) The coffee mugs are tiny tiny!

Joshua Tree is fun and interesting, plan most of a day for that for sure. Look at a map of the park and figure out which sites you want to see. There are a couple of areas with modest hikes that might take a couple of hours if you want to do them. Of course, there's also more extensive hiking and camping available too. When we go, we enter the park on the north/west side near the town of Joshua tree and exit on the south side. That way, when you are done with the park, it's not so far back to "home." Be sure you fill up with gas (or electricity, or whatever) beforehand, there's none of either in the park.

The aerial tram is fun if you've never done it, great views if the weather cooperates. It will be COLD up there so dress accordingly. Never done the jeep tour so can't comment on that.

There is a Ralph's (grocery store) around the corner on Country Club which is a nice store if you plan to cook or at least do breakfasts in the room. The onsite restaurant has reopened, lunch and dinner only I think, and when we were last there in November there was a limited menu but what they had was tasty.

Have fun!

TexasChic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin kanapali
Harborside
Sheraton flex
Thanks so much for the great tips!

Mulege

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
WMH
WLM
Favorite restaurant and bar is Fresh Agave Mexican in Palm Desert on Hwy111. It’s a locals choice. I love their margarita.

MarineBlue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland 2B
Westin Lagunamar 1B EOY
Westin Lagunamar 2B EOY
With golf three days and your tourist activities other days I hope you're staying longer than a week to enjoy the area! The days will fly by. Right next door (walking distance altho the WDW shuttle/golf cart will take you there) is the Desert Willow Golf Course. (Same name, but not a partner altho they use to give owners 20% off). Even if you're not playing, go there for breakfast or lunch (they don't serve dinner) - it's a beautiful setting and good food. Yes, the drive to Joshua Tree will be all day and the drive to the tram will be most of the day - use that day to see downtown Palm Springs main drag and area; too far to go back that direction again just for dinner. Make dinner reservations ahead of time!! It's a busy time of year. Enjoy!!

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Favorite restaurant and bar is Fresh Agave Mexican in Palm Desert on Hwy111. It’s a locals choice. I love their margarita.
Agree about Fresh Agave, it's a great place. Great margaritas and food, friendly staff, and you even get a WDW discount if you have the owner's card!

ambere

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk/Hyatt
Palm Springs Tennis Club (2-bedroom Wimbledon) - 2 units
Lagonita Lodge (4 units: Christmas week, New Year's Week, 2-bdrm Lakefront, 3-bdrm Bear Peak)
Some of my favorites: walking around downtown Palm Springs, hiking (Tahquitz Canyon is a pretty and easy one, the Indian Canyons are reallyl nice, too), the Living Desert, Palm Springs Art Museum and dinner out somewhere. Enjoy!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Grill-a-Burger will be a must stop for us every trip we make to Palm Desert.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Cactus Jack's has great steaks. It's on 111, west of Cook.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grill-a-Burger will be a must stop for us every trip we make to Palm Desert.

In the same complex is Bristol Farms, which is one of the two better grocery options in the area. The other would be Gelson’s at about five minutes drive west from WDW. You’ll find Albertsons and other typical groceries as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mulege

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
WMH
WLM
Bristol Farms and Gelsons are expensive compared to Ralphs and Albertsons. There is a Costco and Sam’s close by too.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
We liked being next to the Quiet adults only pool, that also has 2 narrow lap lanes. The buildings next to it are 8, 9 and I think ,7.

If you like engineering and nerdy science,
we found the self-guided Windmill tours to be interesting and informative about development of alternative energy in the valley. There is still a cost to the tour.
They also will point you to the nearby Windmill Market for date shakes. We've been to the market several times before for their shakes and casual burritos/tacos etc.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Bristol Farms and Gelsons are expensive compared to Ralphs and Albertsons. There is a Costco and Sam’s close by too.

Of course! You get what you pay for. The deli counters at Bristol Farms and Gelsons are significantly better than the others, IMO.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have enjoyed dining at Bella Vita ( in the mall with Ralph’s) and Road Runner in La Quinta.
Castelli’s is also one of our favorites.
Lunch at the nearby Marriott Resort is always a treat.
We hike the area trails, Joshua Tree, and those around Idyllwild and the Salton Sea.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We have enjoyed dining at Bella Vita ( in the mall with Ralph’s).

Oops! Sorry. I was thinking of a different restaurant.

Last edited:

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I should mention Cork Tree, it's also just around the corner in the same center as Ralph's, but it's a really nice place with great food and service. We only recently discovered it and it's definitely worth trying.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm heading there next week and was surprised to find out that the resort gym is closed. Any idea why that would be?

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm heading there next week and was surprised to find out that the resort gym is closed. Any idea why that would be?
It was open when I was there a couple of months ago, but I know that it was due for a refresh this year, so if it's marked closed, I'd guess it's because it's being renovated and getting new equipment.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was open when I was there a couple of months ago, but I know that it was due for a refresh this year, so if it's marked closed, I'd guess it's because it's being renovated and getting new equipment.
Well, that's a good reason. My timing is just off. Concierge recommended a gym nearby which I appreciate.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Not sure if mentioned already…

Thursday evening street fair (VillageFest) in downtown Palm Springs - been going on strong for 25 years.

Palm Canyon hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, that's a good reason. My timing is just off. Concierge recommended a gym nearby which I appreciate.
Go by and look when you're there and see if it's getting a refresh... or maybe it will even have reopened by the time you arrive. Let us know, I'm curious, but I know it was scheduled for a makeover this year.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go by and look when you're there and see if it's getting a refresh... or maybe it will even have reopened by the time you arrive. Let us know, I'm curious, but I know it was scheduled for a makeover this year.
Will do. This is where the concierge told me to go: