• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question on getting a new desktop computer

geekette

Reaction score
It was based on previous threads which I had forgotten.

As to the salient points, this thread already mentioned several advantages to laptops, but I certainly didn’t say a laptop is “always a better option”. If you’re trying to be fair, be fair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gee, thanks for letting me know that I am personally offensive to you. I will guess that you have always been condescending suggesting how I should live my life and for some reason I rejected that. I can own that.

geekette

Reaction score
That was not very fair, IMO. Geekette nailed the benefits of a desktop in the first sentence: for the same money, you get a more powerful, durable, expandable machine that runs cooler. If you have no need for portability, why would you pay for a laptop that includes a monitor that you will never use? Inferring that a laptop is always a better option than a desktop is silly.

Kurt
thank you, Kurt. Seemed like a weird reaction to my post but apparently wasn't about that at all. bet he hates dividends, too.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Play nice.

We are Android Folks - Fones and Tablets. We rarely turn own our Lap Top Computer, which is a Wintel based system, except at Tax Time. We transfer photos, documents, etc via email, text, or Blue Tooth.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I am a desktop person myself. I am not an apple person, I even use Android phones.
Me too. I'm retired so I don't rely on my computer for any type of work. Even when I worked both at home and at work I had a desktop. I've never personally owned a laptop. I have a Samsung tablet that I use when we travel, and that accommodates my needs.

My dh is a computer network guy, and doesn't like Macs and Apple products in general so I've never been inclined to try them, except for an iPod. Our older dd has gone to iPhone and iPad, but still also has a desk computer.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
gee, thanks for letting me know that I am personally offensive to you. I will guess that you have always been condescending suggesting how I should live my life and for some reason I rejected that. I can own that.

Way to take everything I said out of context and portray me as the bad guy. I apologized for posting at all, but I guess that’s meaningless to you, eh?

As for thread topic, I posted valid reasons why a laptop works. As with all things, it won’t work for everyone. However, the stated reasons to purchase a desktop over a laptop of cooling, expandability, ergonomics, and performance are no longer true. I detailed how I resolved those issues, but you completely discounted my post and then stated quite clearly that you weren’t interested in anyone else’s opinion. But sure, take offense at my post since you have no legitimate reason to dispute my conclusions.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I was a desktop person until 2012 when I bought a laptop to take on vacations. I found myself using it more and more at home and in 2013, gave my desktop to someone who needed one. In 2015, hubs bought me a really nice 15" laptop and added the 1 TB SSD - I am using it now. I have a Logitech cordless mouse and solar keyboard that I use with it. Last year I bought a super nice HP Envy 13" Ultrabook that I love. I use it for vacations and my one volunteer jobs. I also have the cordless mouse and keyboard setup as I hate the touch pads! We no longer have desktops in our home, but do still have 2 older 19" monitors that we sometimes attach for a bigger screen for special projects.

Personally, I think it depends on what you are used to. With an new Windows 10 desktop or laptop, he will be up and running instantly. There will be a learning curve for a Mac. It tried one for a few weeks a couple of years ago when helping with a church project, and it was not the same. I happily handed it off to someone who was drooling over having a Mac.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
it's just wanting to own something that doesn't break and doesn't need virus protection.
If you don't want to run virus protection, your only real option is a Mac. Though even it isn't immune to viruses.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Dear Moderators: can you have a private discussion with Ken555 and geekette?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We had desktops in the past but for the last several years I only use a lap top. I actually think this laptop runs faster than my old desk top. I retired my desk when I cleaned out my office which meant no more desk top. I was running windows 8 and having upgrade issues anyway.

I use google docs now instead of office. My next laptop will be a red Dell 17 inch alienware when I wear this one out a bit more. It is a gaming laptop that supports vr. Should be fun.

Now if I could just find an ink cartridge that doesn't dry out between uses I would be happy as a clam, I think. Are clams actually happy ?

Bill

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Browsing, email, use of word, excel, and powerpoint. Would also watch TV or live sports on it through the browser once in a while
It is certainly fair to observe that you wouldn't be pushing any device exceptionally hard computing wise - have you considered a Chromebook?

There are many more choices these days in the world of Chromebooks. As has been mentioned previously, Microsoft Office software has alternatives as well (Google Suite, Open Office, etc) - and many much cheaper these days.

I too was at a similar crossroads with my computing devices as you are now. A new SSD breathed new life to my Mac Mini such that I'll get more years of use from it that adequately fulfills my computing needs. The Mac Mini was an excellent fit for me because I had a solid monitor and keyboard - no sense buying those again. And my Samsung S7 Edge serves as a decent portable computing device when circumstances call for it.

Best of luck with this. There is no ONE correct answer here.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Now if I could just find an ink cartridge that doesn't dry out between uses I would be happy as a clam, I think. Are clams actually happy ?

Bill

Try laser printers - I have a Brother laser printer for everyday Black & white - the 2370DW is great. Samsung makes a nice color laser that is not too expensive - I have one of those for when I do need color. I went laser on that because I do not need color as much and the ink jet ones do dry out. :(

I like the laser ones because you do not have to wait for the ink to dry - no smudging.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best of luck with this. There is no ONE correct answer here.

That is the best advice in this whole thread. I use a 13" Mac Book Pro with an LG 27" 5G monitor and a wireless keyboard with a lot of peripheral devices plugged in with bus bar(s). One ThunderBolt line to disconnect and I'm mobile. Works for me but not cheap. My son uses essentially the same system except that being still a member of the unfortunate working class his employer gives him a windows laptop. He uses the Mac Book on vacations and the Windows traveling at work but plugs them both into the LG monitor at home and just toggles one key to switch the display from one to the other.

I could rant about how much better Macs are vs Windows and 10-15 years ago it was no contest. Windows OS has improved a lot since then and while I still prefer a Mac the difference in reliability and performance is not as great as it used to be.

Good luck choosing.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
The most enlightening part of this discussion was learning how passionate people are regarding their computer decisions ;)

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The most enlightening part of this discussion was learning how passionate people are regarding their computer decisions ;)
One of the things that I used to tell people who insisted on Apple is that I just want a computer, not a religion.

geekette

Reaction score
Try laser printers - I have a Brother laser printer for everyday Black & white - the 2370DW is great. Samsung makes a nice color laser that is not too expensive - I have one of those for when I do need color. I went laser on that because I do not need color as much and the ink jet ones do dry out. :(

I like the laser ones because you do not have to wait for the ink to dry - no smudging.
I recently did this for same ink-goes-dry problem. I am loyal to HP, good enough quality for price I'll pay (I have zero high end printing needs). The last inkjet wouldn't print even bw if yellow were dried up. I went low end HP home laser and happy with it. Laser printers are not as expensive as they used to be, I think I was under $300 on it and could have gone cheaper. More than I have ever paid for inkjet, but, no heinous ink bills.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards the Mac.........but, my current desktop disk isn't acting up. Maybe some divine intervention occurred.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards the Mac.........but, my current desktop disk isn't acting up. Maybe some divine intervention occurred.

Please be sure you have a good, and automated nightly, backup! Your data is the most important, the computer is secondary.

Whichever you get, I’m sure you’ll be happy. Windows works quite well and I usually recommend buying what you know, but many have converted to Mac with great success, as mentioned in earlier posts.

If you’re near an Apple Store, they offer regular free limited classes for various topics, and you can always find local assistance, and lots online, to get up to speed quickly for your particular needs.

Just be sure to get a good backup!