• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about trading inside Marriott System

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
We like to scuba dive, and instead of paying $8+K per year for a family Beaches vacation every year, we were thinking about buying a Marriott timeshare in the Caribbean.

I have stayed in Marriott's around the world over the years, so know the quality, but always hotel stays, never owned a timeshare with them.

If we purchase a Marriott timeshare in the Caribbean (Gold) as our "home resort," how easily can they be traded to move around other Marriott's in the Caribbean?

And if one year for whatever reason we wanted to stay in the U.S., how easily can it be traded to Marriott resorts in Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Hawaii, etc? (I don't mention Orlando because I know there always seems to be availability there)

Also, outside of the maintenance fees every year ($1100 to $1300), what other fees would we be responsible for outside of our II trading fee of $189?

Looking for some advice from the Marriott timeshare veterans.

Thanks.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We like to scuba dive, and instead of paying $8+K per year for a family Beaches vacation every year, we were thinking about buying a Marriott timeshare in the Caribbean.

I have stayed in Marriott's around the world over the years, so know the quality, but always hotel stays, never owned a timeshare with them.

If we purchase a Marriott timeshare in the Caribbean (Gold) as our "home resort," how easily can they be traded to move around other Marriott's in the Caribbean?

And if one year for whatever reason we wanted to stay in the U.S., how easily can it be traded to Marriott resorts in Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Hawaii, etc? (I don't mention Orlando because I know there always seems to be availability there)

Also, outside of the maintenance fees every year ($1100 to $1300), what other fees would we be responsible for outside of our II trading fee of $189?

Thanks.
I am not sure where you get "$1100 to $1300" for MFs?
I would check that out, as we pay over $1750 for each of our weeks in St Kitts.
We exchange via Interval most years and always successfully, although mostly to Asia and Europe.
We have exchanged to Frenchman's Cove, St Thomas too though.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
MF's on the island Marriott's are not cheap. 1600-1800 now, 1700-2000 probably for 2016.

My suggestion?? Buy a nice trader (lock-off) in a usable domestic location and trade into the Caribbean. With Marriott pref. you'll get plenty of opportunities to book. It depends on how tight your schedule is. If you can only travel on super-peak weeks and need to plan at least a year in advance....then by all means buy where you want to stay.

Also, with Interval trading, you can pick up a really nice resort somewhere in the Caribbean at a premier resort and maybe turn your week into two weeks.

Lots of questions about schedule travel dates locations etc... to really answer that question.

I did a quick look at Interval: I can see several beach locations and several Caribbean Island locations (Marriott and Westin) for exchange between May 20 and Sept 10 2016. Some one bedrooms and some 2 bedrooms. That's not OGS, just instant exchange. Can't post the specifics here...that would be a sighting which is a private board for members of TUG.

If you care to join TUG, I'll be glad to post some sightings in the private board or respond to a specific sightings request there. TUG is the best $15 you'll ever spend on a timeshare!!

good luck.
But, my point is made: You can own at a good location stateside and book the islands for lower maintenance fees..... IMHO.

Last edited:

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're set on buying in the Carribean Marriotts, my suggestion is to buy Aruba for the following reasons-

- Ability to lock off 2 bedrooms (St. Thomas and St. Kitts do not lock off)
- Maintenance fees are comparable with Aruba being slightly cheaper
- Trading power of Aruba is year round because it is below the hurricane belt
- Aruba gold season is quite expensive so plenty of weeks to choose from

I only own in Aruba and can tell you the trading power is fantastic. Searching with a studio July 4th week, I have been able to see 3BR Ocean Pointe in May 6+ months out, 3BR Grande Vista 9+ months out with the studio

The 1 bedroom has 2 BR trading power as well

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Actually, they don't look that expensive compared to Hawaii--now that I just looked.

Must be something I'm not seeing in the pricing. It's always the devil in the details...

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I really do appreciate it.

Bazzap / Taterhead: Thanks for the correction on MF fees. I misread the MF' s at the resort we were looking at. You are right, $1700 instead of $1300. And I am a member of TUG.

Seaport: Thanks for the personal insight into Aruba versus other Caribbean locations, and the lockoff advantage. Point taken.

To be more clear, we were originally looking for a Marriott Gold / Platinum week in the U.S. to use or trade with, but hard to find something we liked oceanfront 2BR/2BA (Myrtle / Hilton Head) under $10K (even at resale). Considering we just paid $20K to a developer for a timeshare this year (unfortunately before finding TUG) I am obviously trying to maximize the budget.

So we saw a Marriott 2 BR/2BA Gold week in the Caribbean for under $4K and it got us to thinking about buying there instead (due to interest in scuba and cost of Beaches for 4-6 people) and trading back into U.S. when we wanted.

Now I think maybe I should reconsider, and focus on something stateside, or target Aruba, since I do agree the lockout ability matters.

Just want to add, I have really enjoyed this site. I have read so much stuff and never commented. Just absorbing like a sponge from all of you. Thanks.

Last edited:

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't post the specifics here...that would be a sighting which is a private board for members of TUG.

If you care to join TUG, I'll be glad to post some sightings in the private board or respond to a specific sightings request there. TUG is the best $15 you'll ever spend on a timeshare!!
Tater,

I am already a member of TUG, but I am confused by the private board you are talking about. What is that? Where is that?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
First, you probably need to change your profile from guest to member. link is here: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43810

BTW: I'm not 'pushing' you to join TUG if you're not a member--that just for mgt! :p

I am a TUG Member and have registered as a user of the BBS. Why does the BBS show me as a guest?
[SIZE=-1]You must enter the current BBS VERIFICATION CODE into your bbs profile to be recognized as a TUG Member on the bbs. Note that you will need to update this any time the TUG Member password is changed. Please see this thread on the bbs for further information.[/SIZE]

The sightings forum is here: http://tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

private forum for TUG members. Just post a sighting request (loc, date size) and lots of folks will check it for you.

We bought in Hawaii for the exact reasons above... Wanted first choice on Waiohai every year. I begged the wife for Ko Olina (lockoff) and wish we had done it for that reason, but hey... what momma wants...momma gets!!

love this forum

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Tater,

...... the private board you are talking about. What is that? Where is that?

Sightings/Distressed
Sightings of good weeks available from the exchange companies. Direct exchange of weeks that are about to expire because they can't be used. Entry restricted to TUG Members. Please review forum rules before posting.

basically where people post good deals on the exchanges (II or RCI etc..) or answer 'sightings requests' for a specific thing people are searching for/thinking about. Pretty self explanatory when you get there. If you were checking to see what a "unit x" could pickup in II, you could find out. I think many people use it as a historical indicator for what might be coming up soon (bulk deposits) or what has been exchanged for in the past (flex exchanges inside 60) or whether Marriott preference is that significant (it really is). etc....

cheers.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tater, thanks for that info. Also it helped me get my membership corrected in TUG.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You are very unlikely to get oceanfront building when trading into SC resorts. Mid June through the first week in August are going to be difficult exchanges into the beach front SC resorts. Mid to late August isn't so bad. The resorts on HHI at Shelter Cover aren't as difficult. It would probably be easier to trade into a 2 br Aruba summer week then a 2 br beachfront SC week 25-31.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are very unlikely to get oceanfront building when trading into SC resorts. Mid June through the first week in August are going to be difficult exchanges into the beach front SC resorts. Mid to late August isn't so bad. The resorts on HHI at Shelter Cover aren't as difficult. It would probably be easier to trade into a 2 br Aruba summer week then a 2 br beachfront SC week 25-31.
Thanks for that info. Week 33 or 34 would work for us if we could trade into that. Would prefer to get oceanfront if we go, but understand why that would probably be unlikely.

One Marriott resort we like and have thought about buying at was Ocean Watch Villas in Myrtle Beach (because it is within driving distance or a very short flight for us). But it seems that even on the resale market, getting a good week there is rather expensive. We will also look closer at Aruba based on the comments here.

Last edited:

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points

Thanks.

It always comes down to the size unit you own,the week you own and of course the location you own...Trading into Myrtle beach ,Hilton head and Hawaii is doable for Marriot owners in non-peak times...South carolina Marriots in the summertime can be challenging unless your willing to deposit your week a year in advance .The same applies for Hawaii...Marriot to Marriot trades get preference over non Marriot to Marriot trades!