• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about Resale

dantx

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing some points via resales since i have read numerous posts that recommend doing it this way. Is $0.007039/ point a good price and also. I know if you buy resale you lose the VIP but do you lose anything else. Can you bank these points in wyndham just like they tell you when you sit through one of there spills, if so for how long can you bank them in wyndham and then can you move to RCI and bank there for how long? All information is greatly appriciated.

thanks
dan

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Is $0.007039/ point a good price
Wlecome! That price seems a little high for most places, as that works out to about $542 for a 77,000 point contract. You can often get one for not much more than the cost of the $299 Wyndham transfer fee.

You can put them in the credit pool prior to the start of your use year (for a small fee), and they expire three years from the date you put them in the pool. You can deposit to RCI prior to their expiration; how long they are good for is currently up for debate, but it's around two years.

Last edited:

dantx

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if your use date starts January 1, 2012 and you have say 300K points at start and you use none, you can bank them at end of that year before your new year starts for a nominal fee? That is how i understand is it correct?

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So if your use date starts January 1, 2012 and you have say 300K points at start and you use none, you can bank them at end of that year before your new year starts for a nominal fee? That is how i understand is it correct?

Yes; however, that's not necessarily going to be the best value $-wise, by the time you factor in the exchange fee.

dantx

TUG Member
Reaction score
So then are the exchange fee to bank the points in wyndham based upon how many points you are trying to bank? If so can you kinda give me an idea of what the fee amount is?

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So then are the exchange fee to bank the points in wyndham based upon how many points you are trying to bank? If so can you kinda give me an idea of what the fee amount is?

No cost to deposit to RCI (other than a reservation transaction if you are out of them for the year), but $179 exchange fee. You have to deposit a minimum on 27,000 points.

GeraldineT

Reaction score
I bought Wyndham resale for $.005 per point which is on the high side but it included everything and it is a rather large point contract with was what we wanted as opposed to buying smaller point contracts with different dates, etc.

Do not trade into RCI as of yet but 3 year pooling is available within the Wyndham system for a small fee.

dantx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks in my $0.007 calculation i was including my fees for transfer and everything if i do it just based on purchase price / points it is $0.004910 if i purchase and this purchase is for quite alot of points. This is also not a deeded interest in a certain location now through wyndham. Is that a bad thing? It is just purchase of point.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
6 decimal places is putting way too fine a point on your calculations....I'd worry more about the maintenance fees per point. $5/1000 points would be good...$4.25/1000 very good...$6/1000 not so hot

The cheaper mf contracts will cost you more than the $6/1000 point stuff

I have noticed that the more desireable contracts are getting more expensive..Its not unusual to pay a years mf or more to buy your points

here are some recent ebay sales..the cost is the purchace price plus closing costs and transfer fees

points cost

801000 $5200 $6.50 purchase price per 1000 points
574000 $2073 $3.60
610000 $4449 $7.20
610000 $2423 $3.90
105000 $ 410 $3.90
210000 $1009 $4.80
695000 $3845 $5.50

The 210000 point contract is one I bid on and lost. Another tugger got it. This went for almost exactly one years mf...I knew what to expect, I was just too cheap to get it

My advice is to do as GeraldineT did...know what you want and be willing to pay for it. Remember your purchase is a one time event...mf is forever

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks in my $0.007 calculation i was including my fees for transfer and everything if i do it just based on purchase price / points it is $0.004910 if i purchase and this purchase is for quite alot of points. This is also not a deeded interest in a certain location now through wyndham. Is that a bad thing? It is just purchase of point.

Club Wyndham Access is not, in my opinion, a bad thing...I like the concept. mf will be about $5.40/1000 points... I wouldnt pay as much for it as you are willing to, but then again perhaps I dont want it as bad as you do... I get out bid on almost everything I try to buy...Ive gotten somewhat selective and cheap lrcently

dantx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really appriciate all the good information i have received and will help me make a more educated decision on my upcoming purchase. The current one i am lookin at would have $5.35/1000 on maintanence fees.

One last question would you suggest buying possibly more points than you would use in a year just in case so you do not have to buy more point through wyndham since resale is so cheap?

GeraldineT

Reaction score
Really appriciate all the good information i have received and will help me make a more educated decision on my upcoming purchase. The current one i am lookin at would have $5.35/1000 on maintanence fees.

One last question would you suggest buying possibly more points than you would use in a year just in case so you do not have to buy more point through wyndham since resale is so cheap?[/QUOTE]

NO!!!!!!!

Yes they are cheap but you are paying for them through your maintenance and will paying them every year forever. Even if you do not use them. The resale market is full of owners who try to rent out their unused points and often times you do not get back the proportionate amount of the maintenance on them. If you need more points rent from another owner. IMO;)

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Buying points is like poker. How much money do you want to put on the table (in MFs) each year? Yes, you can go on more vacations. But you can RENT points from Wyndham at $8 per thousand. Or you can rent from a Platimum VIP who gets a last minute discount and unit upgrade for less than your MFs and buy in cost.

Get the points YOU need for annual family vacation - the one YOU book 13-10 months in advance. The vacation you might need ARP for.

kalua

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
wyndham credit pool

dantx if I understood your question correctly referring to your post on being able to wait till the end of your use year to deposit your points in wyndham credit pool,you can not deposit your points at the end of 2012, you have to pool them before the beginning of your use year,example if your use year was 1 jan 2012-31 dec 2012 you would have to deposit them in wyndham credit pool no later than 31 dec 2011 it would cost you $39.00 this year to deposit them.

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score

One last question would you suggest buying possibly more points than you would use in a year just in case so you do not have to buy more point through wyndham since resale is so cheap?[/QUOTE]

NO!!!!!!!

Yes they are cheap but you are paying for them through your maintenance and will paying them every year forever. Even if you do not use them. The resale market is full of owners who try to rent out their unused points and often times you do not get back the proportionate amount of the maintenance on them. If you need more points rent from another owner. IMO;)

Wyndham stopped letting you rent points from another owner years ago. I hate it because my deposits never come out right and I always have some extra points. I have one of the Wyndham resorts that trade in II. I enjoy II and get 4 vacations a year with bonus weeks. I used to get much more before the new point value charts. There are not anymore studio deposits..lumped with 2 bedroom. I get excess inventory Marriotts a lot right now. 4 booked in the past 6 months. When the economy improves, who knows?
Research. You are stuck with your decision.

sinclair

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the VIP program offers little over the regular points program. However, you need to read the rules which change regularly. They're in the directory. You can do some surprisingly beneficial things if you know the rules.

dantx

TUG Member
Reaction score
wyndham credit pool

dantx if I understood your question correctly referring to your post on being able to wait till the end of your use year to deposit your points in wyndham credit pool,you can not deposit your points at the end of 2012, you have to pool them before the beginning of your use year,example if your use year was 1 jan 2012-31 dec 2012 you would have to deposit them in wyndham credit pool no later than 31 dec 2011 it would cost you $39.00 this year to deposit them.

I am still very new to this. If i understand, the points i would get for my upcoming use year you have to pool before that year starts? Also when you book can you pick to pull from the pool or not? I really appriciate all the help.

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am still very new to this. If i understand, the points i would get for my upcoming use year you have to pool before that year starts? Also when you book can you pick to pull from the pool or not? I really appriciate all the help.

Correct that pooling is done before the use year begins. Generally, bookings will pull the earliest expiring points that are eligible for the booking. If you wanted to specify something you would need to call. There is no way to specify online. An example of a situation where this might matter - say you have points in the credit pool that are valid for several more years and also regular year use points expiring the end of this year. Now say that I just decided that we want to take a last minute trip this weekend but we are also planning a Christmas trip that I want to reserve during ARP before the standard window opens. Since pooled points can't be used for ARP, I should call in for the booking for this weekend and ask the rep to make the reservation from pooled points so the regular points remain available for my ARP reservation.

dantx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct that pooling is done before the use year begins. Generally, bookings will pull the earliest expiring points that are eligible for the booking. If you wanted to specify something you would need to call. There is no way to specify online. An example of a situation where this might matter - say you have points in the credit pool that are valid for several more years and also regular year use points expiring the end of this year. Now say that I just decided that we want to take a last minute trip this weekend but we are also planning a Christmas trip that I want to reserve during ARP before the standard window opens. Since pooled points can't be used for ARP, I should call in for the booking for this weekend and ask the rep to make the reservation from pooled points so the regular points remain available for my ARP reservation.

So it would be to late to bank this use year when i buy my ts this year cause i am fixing to buy one. But can i still bank them into RCI or does that have to be done prior also like Wyndham?

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So it would be to late to bank this use year when i buy my ts this year cause i am fixing to buy one. But can i still bank them into RCI or does that have to be done prior also like Wyndham?
If the use year you are looking at purchasing started in January, it is too late. An April one would probably not transfer in time either.

RCI deposits can be done any time during the use year.

arby8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Merging resale purchase points with developer purchased

Not sure I understand what I have been reading here. I own just under 600,000 points, and recently purchased another 127,000 resale points for $26. Can I combine points from my existing account with the new points to use them in a Wyndham property?
:ponder:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure I understand what I have been reading here. I own just under 600,000 points, and recently purchased another 127,000 resale points for $26. Can I combine points from my existing account with the new points to use them in a Wyndham property?

all your points will be in one account and merged for use in the standard reservations window (10 months out)

rrlongwell

Reaction score

If you existing 600,000 points are developer bought points, then you would be VIP Gold. Your new 127,000 points should also receive the 35 percent discount. When you use them, you might come back and let us know if they did get the VIP discount.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Did you give the closing company your existing member number? If they put it in a different account for some reason, you can call and ask to have them merged.

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score

One last question would you suggest buying possibly more points than you would use in a year just in case so you do not have to buy more point through wyndham since resale is so cheap?

The thing you can do if you aren't sure how many points you are going to use is purchase close to what you think you will use and if you end up needing more you can use the credit pool to add points to your current use year. We did this for the first couple years. We initially bought 189,000 and started borrowing from future years for current year reservations and ended up purchasing 343,000 more points to meet our needs.

For example if you needed to "borrow" points from future years for a reservation this year, you would pool your 2013 points today which makes them available for 3 years from today's date. so even though you wouldn't normally have access to use those points on reservations until January, using the credit pool you can start using those now. With time sharing it's always better to under buy than over buy.

Jason