• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question About Lockoff

drpaddack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Canyon Villas
DC
If you own a 2br lockoff odd year use and want to lock it off to use two weeks, can you spread that use over two years or is the usage only allowed for the year own?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
You can use any part of the unit only in the year you own.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only for the year you own. But you can use II to trade the lock off to get another 1BR or 2BR.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The only way to do that is to trade it through II into the next year.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about an unenrolled week you reserve your week with Marriott a year in advance and lock off and then you can deposit 1 or both of the pieces into interval international to exchange. The deposits are good for 2 years so you can stay in different years. But you can’t reserve directly separately.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you own a 2br lockoff odd year use and want to lock it off to use two weeks, can you spread that use over two years or is the usage only allowed for the year own?

The use of your home resort is only allowed during the odd year in your case. However, using Interval International, you can deposit the entire unit, one half, or both halves (after locking it off) and you will have two years in which you are able to utilize these deposits to exchange elsewhere, or back into your home resort (if you are able to obtain an exchange back to your home resort).

My advice? Always lock off both sides and deposit both halves into Interval. Then, you will have the option to search for a larger size unit for an upgrade fee..

Last edited:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Trading one or both sides in II with the expectation of trading into a larger unit can certainly be a great way to maximize your usage, but keep in mind that you can't put in on on-going request for a larger unit (unless it's for a resort without lock-offs), so you'll have to search manually and frequently. IF you have flexibility (wrt travel dates and more last minute plans) it's an ideal way to maximize your ownership. However, if you need a 2BR during school vacation periods, and need to plan vacations way in advance for work, then that might make trading a studio for a 2BR on a regular basis a bit dicey.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Trading one or both sides in II with the expectation of trading into a larger unit can certainly be a great way to maximize your usage, but keep in mind that you can't put in on on-going request for a larger unit (unless it's for a resort without lock-offs), so you'll have to search manually and frequently. IF you have flexibility (wrt travel dates and more last minute plans) it's an ideal way to maximize your ownership. However, if you need a 2BR during school vacation periods, and need to plan vacations way in advance for work, then that might make trading a studio for a 2BR on a regular basis a bit dicey.

It used to be that way but now with the upgrade fees you can place an ongoing request for a larger unit.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can adjust a sliding scale now when placing a request to indicate you will pay the fee and take a larger unit.
If you want a larger unit only you can call II and have them adjust your request so you only match that size.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last time I did the larger unit only on the website, I started to get calls every day that said gee, we found you a studio, would you like us to trade for that? I picked minimum 2 bedrooms. After the 3rd day in a row, I said please don't call me to offer me studios and they did stop.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last time I did the larger unit only on the website, I started to get calls every day that said gee, we found you a studio, would you like us to trade for that? I picked minimum 2 bedrooms. After the 3rd day in a row, I said please don't call me to offer me studios and they did stop.

This might have changed, but last time I placed a request myself (last fall) it wasn’t possible to exclude the size unit I was requesting with- I could slide the bar to include larger but not exclude my size.
So I had a similar situation- I was offering a studio but only wanted a 1 or 2 br- and I matched to a studio immediately (I could see one sitting there manually). I called II and they adjusted my request to say 1 or 2 br only.
By choosing the sizes and agreeing in advance to the upsize fee the confirmation was automatic- II didn’t call me first.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This might have changed, but last time I placed a request myself (last fall) it wasn’t possible to exclude the size unit I was requesting with- I could slide the bar to include larger but not exclude my size.
So I had a similar situation- I was offering a studio but only wanted a 1 or 2 br- and I matched to a studio immediately (I could see one sitting there manually). I called II and they adjusted my request to say 1 or 2 br only.
By choosing the sizes and agreeing in advance to the upsize fee the confirmation was automatic- II didn’t call me first.
Similarly, this is why we always place our exchange requests by telephone so that we can be very specific about our requirements.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

No, it did let me, my request as shown online and even the agent who called me was 2BR to 2BR. They just called anyway. I just told them to stop and they did.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Just to clarify- now in II if I have a studio deposit I can put in an on-going request for only 1 and 2 BR units at resorts that also have studios? Wow- I must have missed that- thanks!!

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify- now in II if I have a studio deposit I can put in an on-going request for only 1 and 2 BR units at resorts that also have studios? Wow- I must have missed that- thanks!!
You do have to pay the upsize fee.

Also- I posted earlier that I didn’t think I could exclude the size unit I owned from the request- trying it now I see that I need tap on each unit size I want ( I originally thought it was more of a sliding scale). Steve was probably right that I could have done that all along.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You do have to pay the upsize fee.

Also- I posted earlier that I didn’t think I could exclude the size unit I owned from the request- trying it now I see that I need tap on each unit size I want ( I originally thought it was more of a sliding scale). Steve was probably right that I could have done that all along.
It looks kind of like a sliding scale to me.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks kind of like a sliding scale to me.

It does and so I slid all the way to 2br but then trying to slide in from the studio didn’t work so I thought that was it.
But I found today i was able to select everything and then eliminate what I didn’t want.
I’m working on an iPad but on the full site not an app so I know sometimes things are a bit off.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't think it is possible to pick say just a 1BR and a 3BR. You have to pick the range of 1BR through 3BR? I am able to slide both sides on the desktop site using Chrome.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree- the sizes need to be next to one another.

Last edited: