• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Puzzled by giveaways/ROFR

Todd Moffitt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about timeshare giveaways. Don't these properties just get scooped back up by the developer when there is a ROFR? If you're at the point where you need to giveaway the property, why go through the whole process only to waste everyone's time when the property will go back to the developer anyway? Won't (in this case, Hilton) just take back the property? Has anyone ever been able to get a property from someone for "free" without the developer exercising their ROFR? Recently won a bid for an HGVC property on Ebay for $35 and sure enough, it was taken back. What's the secret here? Or is there one?

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
A few things -

1) There is a "ROFR Budget" - the conventional wisdom is at the end of the year they are out of money, where the beginning of the year they have lots of money for buy backs
2) They are probably very happy someone takes over a timeshare and they don't get stuck with having to pays the MF on less desirable units which they would have a hard time selling.
3) There are costs to buy the unit and then to sell the unit and pay the sales persons commission, as well as the cost of money to hold it until sold. It may be not worth it to take it back as they might not make enough money even at a low price.

Look at rofr.net for results, you will see a parc soliel sold for 8 cents.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
A few things -

1) There is a "ROFR Budget" - the conventional wisdom is at the end of the year they are out of money, where the beginning of the year they have lots of money for buy backs
2) They are probably very happy someone takes over a timeshare and they don't get stuck with having to pays the MF on less desirable units which they would have a hard time selling.
3) There are costs to buy the unit and then to sell the unit and pay the sales persons commission, as well as the cost of money to hold it until sold. It may be not worth it to take it back as they might not make enough money even at a low price.

Look at rofr.net for results, you will see a parc soliel sold for 8 cents.
I know in some states the developer does not get stuck with the MFs on "abandoned" units. The can roll those over to the existing owners. I just went through that a few years back with my unit in Utah. I would say that you could pick up units when that was happening basically for back taxes after the original owner defaulted and the developer was just standing back and watching.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I'm curious about timeshare giveaways. Don't these properties just get scooped back up by the developer when there is a ROFR? If you're at the point where you need to giveaway the property, why go through the whole process only to waste everyone's time when the property will go back to the developer anyway? Won't (in this case, Hilton) just take back the property? Has anyone ever been able to get a property from someone for "free" without the developer exercising their ROFR? Recently won a bid for an HGVC property on Ebay for $35 and sure enough, it was taken back. What's the secret here? Or is there one?

The eBay resellers have a way of pricing the unit that includes all money paid. The closing costs, buyers fees, sellers fees, MF’s and the like are all included into the price they submit to HGVC. It makes it look much higher than the actual cost.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
They do not always get taken back.

To avoid ROFR you can get an affiliate, no ROFR.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
They do not always get taken back.

To avoid ROFR you can get an affiliate, no ROFR.
While I don't claim to actually know the number I suspect the number of sales taken back by the developers ROFR is very low, my guess is well under 20% of sales....JMHO

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
per ROFR.net, it is about 20% fail, but total reported is 202 for 5 years. As terms of total sales, 40 sales a year must be a tiny percent of all their sales. When I looked up my District deed, it looked like they foreclosed on 20 or more for that resort in a single day. (Obviously a lump transaction). I did not look at how many new deeds, but a rather large amount. There has to be thousands of developer sales a year. So resale is a tiny piece and ROFR take backs is even tinier.

here is a simple view from ROFR data
Annotation 2020-02-05 114513.jpg