• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Purchasing a unit at Hanalei Bay Resort

beach_bumz

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any Hanalei Bay Resort owners out there?

We love the resort, and are seriously considering purchasing a resale unit there but would like to hear from owners about the management of the resort.

After searching through threads on here I found a discussion about the financial mismanagement from over a decade ago. Now that a different management company has taken over, are things better, and are you as owners happy with the current company?

How hard is it to book a week? Is it more difficult to book a 1 bedroom vs a 2 bedroom? I called Grand Pacific and spoke to someone in owner services who said I can bank a week and use the exchange to go every other year for two weeks, but I'd like to hear from other owners if this is actually possible.

Any feedback on this timeshare would be very much appreciated!

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't own at Hanalei Bay but DO use GPX to exchange in there. In the past, available units were released on the 1 st of the month for that month the following year...Jan 1, 2021, all units for Jan 2022 are released, This year I presume because of covid, all the units for 2022 were released in January. With proper planning, I have been able to get the weeks I want, The drawback to exchanging back in through GPX is that they charge exchangers exorbitant fees.
The following fees are payable to the resort upon check out:
The resort fee per day is $20.94- includes Wi-Fi, phone calls, beach towels
The TOT tax per night is $11.05 for 1 bd or $14.23 for a 2bd
The parking fee per day is $6.28.

There is also a one-time $25 check-in fee.

The total comes to $315.55 for a 2 bedroom plus the $219 exchange fee. They do seem to treat GPX exchangers more like owners and assign better views from what I have experienced.

GPX is supposed to accept other resorts ( at this time they are reworking their system and have not been able to tell me what resorts) so if you have another resort with low maintenance fees you might want to exchange but I don't think you would want to trade your Hanalei Bay and add another $500+ to do so. Unless of course, they have a special deal for trading back into your home resort.

beach_bumz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that info - that's exactly what I was looking for. We'll have to decide if that additional $$$ is worth it. I guess we could buy two EOY contracts and just book them back to back.

Have you been happy with GPX?

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am happy so far the exchanges have put us in nice units. I have only exchanged to Hawaii so far. I do not like the added fees...but it is only some resorts and not all. I have an exchange to Hono Koa and there are no fees other than taxes. Any of the "diamond Resort" properties seem to have additional fees. Their flex option is only $29 or $39 forget which and it allows you to cancel up to 45 days and you get your week back as well as a credit for the exchange fee. I have used it several times with the covid stuff.

There are no ongoing search options to speak of....you can make a request and if they get the inventory you will get an email that they have inventory. It was delayed by the time I received it and had already found the inventory through my daily search.

They did get some good inventory this year that surprised me....lots of Worldmark units...I was able to book summer at west Yellowstone for this year.

@Zen In order to use GPX, you have to own at one of their affiliated or managed resorts. They supposedly allow you then to deposit other owned weeks but when I inquired earlier this year was told they were getting a new system so they were not able to tell me which other weeks of mine would qualify.

I bought a week at Indian Palms to use for trading in GPX , I believe it has the lowest maintenance fees of their resorts...but not all Indian Palms trade with GPX...there are several HOA's at Indian Palms.

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
Is the restaurant at HBR still closed ?

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we were there 2 years ago. food was available in the lounge but the restaurant was not open

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
There is an ongoing battle between the owner of the Bali Hai & Happy Talk Lounge with the resort-timeshare and year-round condo owners-over parking. The restaurant owner wants more parking and there was a resolution finally after extended legal battles so we'll see if they ever open the restaurant. The old management (Quintus) embezzled money and underfunded the reserves so owners had to pay special assessments for the reserves and a huge remodel of the timeshare units and now they look great. Things have settled down and Grand Paific seems to be doing a good job.

beach_bumz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a week at Indian Palms to use for trading in GPX , I believe it has the lowest maintenance fees of their resorts...but not all Indian Palms trade with GPX...there are several HOA's at Indian Palms.

That is a great idea. There are several available on Redweek. I would use it strictly for Hawaii- much lower mf.

Thanks Wilma for the restaurant information. I remember reading about the old management company on here back in 2008 or 2009. Glad to hear things are much better with Grand Pacific.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is a great idea. There are several available on Redweek. I would use it strictly for Hawaii- much lower mf.

Thanks Wilma for the restaurant information. I remember reading about the old management company on here back in 2008 or 2009. Glad to hear things are much better with Grand Pacific.

Just make sure that it is in the section of the resort that exchanges with GPX. There are units out there that show the maintenance fees at around $500. The ones that trade with GPX the fees are around $900.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
I am happy so far the exchanges have put us in nice units. I have only exchanged to Hawaii so far. I do not like the added fees...but it is only some resorts and not all. I have an exchange to Hono Koa and there are no fees other than taxes. Any of the "diamond Resort" properties seem to have additional fees. Their flex option is only $29 or $39 forget which and it allows you to cancel up to 45 days and you get your week back as well as a credit for the exchange fee. I have used it several times with the covid stuff.

There are no ongoing search options to speak of....you can make a request and if they get the inventory you will get an email that they have inventory. It was delayed by the time I received it and had already found the inventory through my daily search.

They did get some good inventory this year that surprised me....lots of Worldmark units...I was able to book summer at west Yellowstone for this year.

@Zen In order to use GPX, you have to own at one of their affiliated or managed resorts. They supposedly allow you then to deposit other owned weeks but when I inquired earlier this year was told they were getting a new system so they were not able to tell me which other weeks of mine would qualify.

Thank you chellej. I own at the Four Seasons Aviara and use it almost exclusively to trade through II in Hawaii but many other locations, so GPX is sounds like not the company for us. I appreciate reading about it and understanding it in posts so than you for the detail. Always looking for ways to get to Hawaii and Princeville/Hanalei are probably my favorite!

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu

Otoh, if you own a week at hbr, pick it up for next to nothing on redweek, you can reserve specific units. I recommend getting a 2 bedroom which has a much bigger kitchen and 2 decks, and the 2 bedrooms have stunning views. We always reserve 2 weeks in advance to get the plumeria bldg.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha,
I remembered a bit more so was able to do a better search. Here are two more links:
Jack

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
..... There are units out there that show the maintenance fees at around $500. The ones that trade with GPX the fees are around $900.
Hi to all -- been a Long time since we stayed at HBR -- loved our stay many years ago ( in an owner-condo - not part of any TS ) ... but the above comment on $500 MF's --that is just not enough to keep any unit up to date .... the TS units we toured when there were very very bad .... a lovely location ... but ...

ps - I see there has been NO reviews posted on TUG since 2019 .... ?? Sure hope this resort gets back on track -- been off the rails for a long time.

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi to all -- been a Long time since we stayed at HBR -- loved our stay many years ago ( in an owner-condo - not part of any TS ) ... but the above comment on $500 MF's --that is just not enough to keep any unit up to date .... the TS units we toured when there were very very bad .... a lovely location ... but ...

ps - I see there has been NO reviews posted on TUG since 2019 .... ?? Sure hope this resort gets back on track -- been off the rails for a long time.
I believe the $500 mf referred to Indian palms resort in palm desert not hbr. All of the hbr timeshare units were fully renovated 5-6 years ago and they are back on track.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes the $500 referred to some of the Indian palms units that ARE NOT associated with GPX

macmanrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Costa Sur PV Mexico

If you buy a resort close too you. You can use the day use. That's why we bought ours in Tahoe vista.

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any Hanalei Bay Resort owners out there?

We love the resort, and are seriously considering purchasing a resale unit there but would like to hear from owners about the management of the resort.

After searching through threads on here I found a discussion about the financial mismanagement from over a decade ago. Now that a different management company has taken over, are things better, and are you as owners happy with the current company?

How hard is it to book a week? Is it more difficult to book a 1 bedroom vs a 2 bedroom? I called Grand Pacific and spoke to someone in owner services who said I can bank a week and use the exchange to go every other year for two weeks, but I'd like to hear from other owners if this is actually possible.

Any feedback on this timeshare would be very much appreciated!
I have a 1 br odd year paid thru 2023 if you want free…getting too old travel.