• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Purchase scenario question

brettskyg

Reaction score
Whcih scenario do you prefer:

$100 purchase including closing
3400 annual points maintenance 719
Seaworld

OR

$720 purchase including closing
4800 EOY points maintenace 820.
I-Drive

What do you guys think?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
How big is your family and will you be staying during peak season or can you stay off season? Do you want to stay in HGVC every year, or every other year?

Both are what I would consider as bare minimum entry level ownership for HGVC. If you have a family, or will be having a family in the near future, then you will be trading this up for more points within 5 years. I'll even go so far to say it would be cheaper to rent until you can buy a 7000 point contract.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

brettskyg

Reaction score
I also already have a 5k point package as well. I should have mentioned that previously. i am solo. Would be using this with friends, wh would eb reimbursing me for their part. I just know that the 5k points are not necessarily enough.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I also already have a 5k point package as well. I should have mentioned that previously. i am solo. Would be using this with friends, wh would eb reimbursing me for their part. I just know that the 5k points are not necessarily enough.

In that case I'd go with the eoy 4800, you can borrow enough to make 7400 each year with the 5k existing. Even though the mf is slightly higher, you only pay it every other year, so that will offset the difference in buy in price.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
In that case I'd go with the eoy 4800, you can borrow enough to make 7400 each year with the 5k existing. Even though the mf is slightly higher, you only pay it every other year, so that will offset the difference in buy in price.

I agree with this.

elleny76

Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal!...Never though about it.
( 7.4k if borrow points ) :)

fernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
3400 the better buy because...

The 3400 pt package may be the better buy.

Using 7000 points or 8400 points is easy to do. Using 7400 points (borrowing) is difficult and you may in reality waste 400 pts per year if you go with the EOY 4800 pt package. Yes you can move the 400 pts forward but at a price.

Using 1000 pts per night(7000 pts/wk for 2 bdm) and amortizing the purchase price over 15 years, your deals yield ON AVERAGE:

3400 pt package: $213/night.
4800 pt EOY: $190/night.

At 1200 pts (8400 pts/wk for 2 bdm):

3400 pt package: $256/night.
4800 pt EOY: $229/night.

BUT if you waste the 400 pts per year, which is likely IMO, the 4800 pt EOY is:

At 1000 pts/night: $229
At 1200 pts/ night: $274

Nothing is ever simple. Buy the 3400.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A couple of issues with your analysis:

The per night cost in points is not linear, weekends are more expensive, weekdays are half price. He could stretch 7400 into three or four shorter stays by using the weekday discount.

Borrowing only occurs when a reservation is made, at no cost, so he won't necessarily need to rescue if the full 7400 is not used.

fernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct but still

Almost answered that in my initial post anticipating the first line of my post may not be understood.

The first line of my post stated "it is easy to use 7000 or 8400 points..."

Yes borrowing is free.

Yes you CAN find a way to use 7400 pts per year but you will have to work at it.

IF the OP intends to vacation in 1 week blocks then makes no sense to buy the 4800 EOY. Even if the OP intends shorter vacations, 7400 pts every year or 9800 pts EOY are odd lots. High risk of wasted points IMO.

Just another way to look at it. OP should have all opinions to consider. Nothing wrong with the analysis. End of the day, the risk is less then $40/night.

Last edited:

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
shoot! Buy them both and invite more friends and let them cover the bar bill!

fernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its all about yearly fee

To the OP.

As SmithOP points out, there are ways to extend the use of your points with HGVC. It is part of the fun but also a challenge.

Remember, however, it is not about points. People love to talk about how much they paid per point. But we don't want points. We want nights of lodging.

When looking at the purchase of HGVC, it is all about the yearly fee IMO. Both your deals are $0.21 yearly fee per point. I have seen deals for 7000 or 8400 points where the yearly fee per point is as low as $0.16. I such a case, you can pay as much as $1.00 per point plus closing cost and over 15 years be paying ON AVERAGE (using 1000 pts/night) only $160 per night.

Lot depends on what you want to do and how often you want to do it.

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP.

As SmithOP points out, there are ways to extend the use of your points with HGVC. It is part of the fun but also a challenge.

Remember, however, it is not about points. People love to talk about how much they paid per point. But we don't want points. We want nights of lodging.

When looking at the purchase of HGVC, it is all about the yearly fee IMO. Both your deals are $0.21 yearly fee per point. I have seen deals for 7000 or 8400 points where the yearly fee per point is as low as $0.16. I such a case, you can pay as much as $1.00 per point plus closing cost and over 15 years be paying ON AVERAGE (using 1000 pts/night) only $160 per night.

Lot depends on what you want to do and how often you want to do it.
If the room costs 400 bucks a night to rent and 220 bucks a night to the op by paying next to nothing or 160 a night by paying 7k...is it really a bad deal?

Op is still saving 180 a night... which by my math is a 45 percent savings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
??

Who said anything about a bad deal?

Guy is looking to buy more points and I am trying to be sure he gets the best deal for him which may not be the best deal for me or someone else.

Usually IMO, IMO, IMO, larger point deals are better then lower point deals because of the lower yearly fee per point.

But may wish to pay more for less if you don't want more.

Buying direct from HGVC is still a "deal" if you want to use $400/night as your baseline.

Given his two current options, both can work fine but the 3400 pt makes more sense to me.

Because there is soooo much focus on cost per point, folks don't often run the numbers to realize the yearly fee per point really drives cost of lodging.

Forums.