• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pros and cons 178k RCI Points contract Regal Vistas at Massanuten

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Thanks for posting. I would completely take that Colonies unit for free (good 150 TDI summer week) or be willing to pay a little for it but I want an annual instead of an EOY to maximize my ability to get rid of it when I am done.

I had one bought for basically free on eBay, but I am now going on 4 months, am not getting responses, and there are no indications they have it through the 30 day ROFR process yet. I also just missed one selling here on TUG (still listed but sale is pending).
Are you dealing with resort transfer group? If so they are terrible so it wouldn’t shock me it’s taking this long.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Are you dealing with resort transfer group? If so they are terrible so it wouldn’t shock me it’s taking this long.

Dealing with GC Getaways & Transfer Outlet. I bought a unit from them well over a year ago that worked out well but that was slow. I read their current reviews on TUG and knew I was taking a chance. So far this one is not working so well and communication ceasing is never a good thing.

Jbiedebach

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Resort Transfer Group has been stringing me along for 9 months now. I only put up $150, but I have pretty much written that off

Calba205

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista x 2
I also purchased from them off eBay February 2020 and it took almost 14 months to resolve. The first unit fell through for some reason and they offered me a replacement to choose from in their portfolio, then with respect to the replacement unit, the seller used the 2020 and 2021 usage (after estoppels and as/after the deed change) and then tried to stick me with the MF for the 2021 week that they used which was supposed to be mine. In the end, Resort Transfer Group did right by me. They never asked me to pay for the unit and I assume that was because I wasn’t getting what was agreed to since the sellers took two years of usage that wasn’t supposed to be theirs for the taking. Also, when I informed them that their sellers used my 2021 week and stuck me with the MF’s, they contacted Marriott and paid it with their own credit card. We literally wrapped this up just two weeks ago. I was certainly concerned and frustrated at times but in the end it all worked out. If not for the pandemic, I may have been upset about losing the 2020 and 2021 usage but since I didn’t have to pay for it, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.

scoutings

TUG Member
Reaction score
@escanoe What did you mean "Owning a red week Woodstone Meadows or Regal Vistas enrolled in points"? Can't you buy a week and enroll in in RCI points after purchase?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
@escanoe What did you mean "Owning a red week Woodstone Meadows or Regal Vistas enrolled in points"? Can't you buy a week and enroll in in RCI points after purchase?
Everyone I know (including @tschwa2) that owned a week and later enrolled it had to buy another week as part of the enrollment process. If you are able to pay to enroll one, I am fairly sure the enrollment fee will be significantly higher than what you would pay to buy a resale that is already enrolled in points.

scoutings

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everyone I know (including @tschwa2) that owned a week and later enrolled it had to buy another week as part of the enrollment process. If you are able to pay to enroll one, I am fairly sure the enrollment fee will be significantly higher than what you would pay to buy a resale that is already enrolled in points.
@escanoe The enrollment transfers to the new owner?

This is what the agent says:

It is enrolled with RCI for a weeks account. We can transfer the RCI week to you, but this is not a points contract.
It's a fixed week, you can enroll with RCI when the transfer has been completed.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I believe they may enroll you in points without a purchase but I think it was $6995 per week. I converted 3 weeks with a single purchase which was about $6000 for an every other year something or other during mid season. I get something like 31,000 points annually for $336 MF's. So it still worked out to just over $2000 per week. I did get my gold card and an additional 180 day bonus week vs the normal 45 day bonus week.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
@escanoe The enrollment transfers to the new owner?

This is what the agent says:

It is enrolled with RCI for a weeks account. We can transfer the RCI week to you, but this is not a points contract.
That means it is a fixed week rci weeks unit. If you join rci you would get trading power units and not rci points.

scoutings

TUG Member
Reaction score
That means it is a fixed week rci weeks unit. If you join rci you would get trading power units and not rci points.
@tschwa2 So, how does one get points (if not buying into a points affiliated resort)? Must one buy another week as part of the enrollment process?

Last edited:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@tschwa2 So, how does one get points (if not buying into a points affiliated resort)? Must one buy another week as part of the enrollment process?
1) In order to get an RCI Points account, you have to own a resort that is in the RCI Points system.

2) You either need to buy a resale unit that has been previously enrolled in RCI Points, buy something from the developer directly enrolled in points, or pay the developer to enroll a unit owned there into points.

3) You cannot directly get points for owning a unit at a non-points affiliated resort. However, if you have an RCI points account and own a week at an RCI affiliated resort that does not participate in the points program you can pay RCI for a "points for deposit (PFD)" transaction where you can get points for depositing a week. (They do not allow PFD for units at points-affiliated resorts because they want to incentivize your buying a week enrolled in points or paying to enroll your week.)

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
An rci points resort doesn't automatically mean the particular unit is associated with rci points. If it was never enrolled in rci points (enrollment wasn't mandatory and/or free at 99% or rci points resorts) then the week would remain as it was before, a week that can join rci weeks and get trading power units when depositing.

scoutings

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe they may enroll you in points without a purchase but I think it was $6995 per week. I converted 3 weeks with a single purchase which was about $6000 for an every other year something or other during mid season. I get something like 31,000 points annually for $336 MF's. So it still worked out to just over $2000 per week. I did get my gold card and an additional 180 day bonus week vs the normal 45 day bonus week.
@tschwa2

It sounds like you negotiated this. In other words, it's a MMV situation that depends on the individual property/developer?

How did you get 3 weeks for $6000?

What is "an additional 180 day bonus week"? You have 180 days to use a free week at any RCI-points property?

Is the advice: get a couple of weeks at the same resort then contact the developer to enroll in weeks?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had to buy a new deed from Massanutten and then they would convert my weeks at Woodstone and Regal Vistas to points. The negotiation was on the price of the deed. There were probably another $800 in closing costs plus some rci fees. I might have been able to get a slightly cheaper deed then the one I got but it would have been fewer points (and even harder to eventually get rid of) I didn't want anything worse than a penny a point in MF's and this was the best deal I could get on that.

It would have been the same $6000 if I had 1 deed, it wouldn't have been any lower. It would have been $6000 if I had crappier weeks to convert. My idea going in with what I had 1 89,000 week, and 2 134,000 weeks and could I get it done for under $6000. I couldn't but came close enough that I made the purchase.

Most resale Massanutten and Vacation Village properties give you a bonus week that can be used within 45 days of check in and generally have a trading power of around 7 or less. For the most part it is the same inventory as last calls. Bonus weeks cost the regular exchange fee which is now $289. Still a little less than last calls although sometimes sales on extra vacations are even lower. When you make a developer purchase they also throw in a bonus week good at 180 days. It still only covers lower trading value (around 7 or less) but you can book it earlier so you aren't competing against someone grabbing it as a last call before you. I have enough points and trading power that I rarely use bonus weeks but they are available if I need them.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@tschwa2

Is the advice: get a couple of weeks at the same resort then contact the developer to enroll in weeks?

My advice is if you are in no rush (have a year to three) keep an eye on eBay, Redweek, and TUG and get you a great used RCI points traders (Massanutten and The Colonies).

If I needed to do something quicker, I'd start buying the 122k point units at VV Grandview.

-----

A good gradual approach may be to start with a 122K Grandview unit and keep an eye out for prime Massanutten/the Colonies weeks that are enrolled in points.