• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pros and cons 178k RCI Points contract Regal Vistas at Massanuten

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
That is the same strategy I have taken since getting the free weeks account set up and obtaining some boosts. My family is headed to Summit for a long weekend this Friday. I used part of a boost and a $159 exchange fee to book it.

Wish I could stay for the week, but feel I am getting plenty of value over the 3 day weekend. I will stop by the front office and get 4 days of my resort fee returned when I leave.

If Massanutten was all I did in RCI, I would prefer the weeks account to a points account. However, I bought a resale points unit there mostly to 1) use my affordable points at other places and 2) be out from under the “one every four” exchange rules that apply there.

I book Massanutten primarily with my weeks account and often with trading power boosts. I do pay the $159 booking fee. The $50 booking is only at your home resort (so Woodstone, etc), not any section, and I agree in that I rarely book that far ahead there.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
That is the same strategy I have taken since getting the free weeks account set up and obtaining some boosts. My family is headed to Summit for a long weekend this Friday. I used part of a boost and a $159 exchange fee to book it.

Wish I could stay for the week, but feel I am getting plenty of value over the 3 day weekend. I will stop by the front office and get 4 days of my resort fee returned when I leave.

If Massanutten was all I did in RCI, I would prefer the weeks account to a points account. However, I bought a resale points unit there mostly to 1) use my affordable points at other places and 2) be out from under the “one every three” exchange rules that apply there.
What are the “one every three” exchange rules?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
What are the “one every three” exchange rules?

I should have typed “one every four” and I have now gone back and edited my post. If you are not a Massanutten owner you can not exchange into any one section more frequently than once every four years using an RCI account.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have never stayed at Regal Vistas, but intend to. By all accounts, they are the nicest units at Massanutten.

The thing about Regal Vistas that is less than ideal with my current lifestyle and Massanutten usage trends is the lack of a Friday check-in.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it’s in RCI Points, it’s automatically deposited every year, but you can reserve one half or both for free starting at 13 months IIRC.
can I book my week at 13 months and, if I decide later not to use it, deposit it in RCI at that time?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
can I book my week at 13 months and, if I decide later not to use it, deposit it in RCI at that time?

You actually wind up booking through RCI, not the resort, because it’s already deposited. You can cancel the reservation, subject to the diminishing credit as it gets closer to the check in date starting at 9 months, IIRC. RCI would let you pay to restore the deposit power similar to in weeks. It works like any cancellations do, but no loss of the exchange fee because it was free in the first place.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
You actually wind up booking through RCI, not the resort, because it’s already deposited. You can cancel the reservation, subject to the diminishing credit as it gets closer to the check in date starting at 9 months, IIRC. RCI would let you pay to restore the deposit power similar to in weeks. It works like any cancellations do, but no loss of the exchange fee because it was free in the first place.
If I book through RCI, being my home resort, can I still rent it out? I am thinking for the years when we do not need all the points, to rent half. Does anyone know if it has any rental value? I assume, being week 29, the rent should at least cover the MF for that half.
I see a couple of summer weeks listed on Redweek at 2x the MF but that does not mean they actually rent at that price.

Also, do I have priority for week 29 in RCI or I access the same inventory like everyone else?

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
@tschwa2 can probably weigh in better re: renting out Massanutten weeks. I believe you can do that with your own week. The other option you would have is to find someone that wants the points, which is essentially the same as renting your own week. There are a few people with ads in the TUG marketplace looking for RCI points, typically around a penny per point. That would cover your MF.

sharewhereMiMi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanutten VA,
Presidential Resorts Wilderness VA, Wyndham Myrtle Beach SC,
The Quarter House, New Orleans LA
since it is a 4 bdr lockoff, can I deposit just 2 bdr (one side) in RCI and keep the reservation for the other 2?
Yes you can
We did that for our summer Regal Vista.

right now we are in unit #2064 (half of the lock out)

sharewhereMiMi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanutten VA,
Presidential Resorts Wilderness VA, Wyndham Myrtle Beach SC,
The Quarter House, New Orleans LA
How is the regal vista section Incase I actually do want to go during Christmas?
Our opinion, It is the nicest newest property here in Massanutten . We are here at Regal Vista this week. We are owners

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Yes you can
We did that for our summer Regal Visa

right now we are in unit #2064 (half of the lock out)
Do you own weeks or points there? How has the maint fee increases been? DannyTS and myself are closing on 178K 4 bedrooms. I assume that’s a hefty amount of points for RCI? And a much better deal than Grandview? Seems these are under the radar and harder to come by.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
DannyTS and myself are closing on 178K 4 bedrooms.
just to clarify if necessary, 2 separate contracts lol

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Haha yes yes to clarify...... we both are closing on our own. That’s why I’ve joined in on the what’s the deal posts haha

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And I thought the 178k point regal vistas was the best deal out there.

Here is the unicorn. Someone is now selling a 151k point Regal Vistas unit on eBay that is ocean front if the pictures are to be believed.

1600489005601.png

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
And I thought the 178k point regal vistas was the best deal out there.

Here is the unicorn. Someone is now selling a 151k point Regal Vistas unit on eBay that is ocean front if the pictures are to be believed.

View attachment 26687

the 151K is still a good unit but not as good as the 178K I think they just loaded up pictures of all of the vacation village Resorts.
C6E605A5-F50C-42DD-8230-D50CE3700E2D.jpeg

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham

If Massanutten was all I did in RCI, I would prefer the weeks account to a points account. However, I bought a resale points unit there mostly to 1) use my affordable points at other places and 2) be out from under the “one every four” exchange rules that apply there.
I am reviving this thread, after staying at Regal Vistas last week. My family loved it, but when I went to my RCI account through Wyndham I saw the note that I could not rent again.
So now I am trying to learn about Regal Vistas ownership. Can anyone suggest either previous treads or resources?
It seems I need to learn about RCI points, but not sure. It would be nice to book less than a whole week.
@escanoe I assume you are able to get the "4 days of my resort fee returned" because you are an owner at Massanutten?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How did you book it or "rent" it as you say?

Past reports on TUG are that the "1 in 4 rule" applies to exchanges but not to "renting" by booking an "extra" or "last call" vacation.

Important Note: Owning any timeshare in Massanutten gets you around the "1 in 4 rule." So you do not necessarily need to own Regal Vistas.

If you need to be able to book less than a week, points is definitely what you want.

Owning a red week Woodstone Meadows or Regal Vistas enrolled in points is considered a very good RCI Points trader to own. Finding them on the resale market can be difficult, but if you keep an eye out they show up every once in a while.

I am reviving this thread, after staying at Regal Vistas last week. My family loved it, but when I went to my RCI account through Wyndham I saw the note that I could not rent again.
So now I am trying to learn about Regal Vistas ownership. Can anyone suggest either previous treads or resources?
It seems I need to learn about RCI points, but not sure. It would be nice to book less than a whole week.
@escanoe I assume you are able to get the "4 days of my resort fee returned" because you are an owner at Massanutten?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Keep in mind if you purchase an RCI points resort, in addition to MF's you would also have to pay an average of $115 more per year for an rci points membership if you purchase 2 years at a time.

How often and what time a year do you think you would be booking? An alternate plan would be to purchase an every other year Summit unit (1-52) 4BR either set up so you get a 4 BR EOY (MF about $455 per year) or a 2BR EY (MF about $480 per year). You wouldn't need to pay for an extra RCI account because a weeks account is included in your Wyndham program fee. If you reserve a good week you would get 20-23 tpu's per side plus a trading boost for paying MF's early (which you would want to do anyway to be able to reserve the prime weeks) of 10-17. You would then have enough trading power for 1 prime and 1-2 off season exchanges back into regal vistas per year with a $159 exchange fee (and no extra housekeeping charges or 3-4 exchanges back into less than prime.

When you exchange with points a 3 night stay would cost a $109 exchange fee . Each would also have a housekeeping fee of $47 and you would only have enough points for one prime 3 day weekend and one shoulder season 3 day weekend because weekends cost more than week days.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
How did you book it or "rent" it as you say?

Past reports on TUG are that the "1 in 4 rule" applies to exchanges but not to "renting" by booking an "extra" or "last call" vacation.

Important Note: Owning any timeshare in Massanutten gets you around the "1 in 4 rule." So you do not necessarily need to own Regal Vistas.

If you need to be able to book less than a week, points is definitely what you want.

Owning a red week Woodstone Meadows or Regal Vistas enrolled in points is considered a very good RCI Points trader to own. Finding them on the resale market can be difficult, but if you keep an eye out they show up every once in a while.
Sorry, I should have said exchange not rent. I used Club Wyndham points.
Thanks for the advice. I am in no hurry to increase my TS expenses, so I can be patient for a deal. I will also try to get exchange into a different division so we can compare.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Keep in mind if you purchase an RCI points resort, in addition to MF's you would also have to pay an average of $115 more per year for an rci points membership if you purchase 2 years at a time.

How often and what time a year do you think you would be booking? An alternate plan would be to purchase an every other year Summit unit (1-52) 4BR either set up so you get a 4 BR EOY (MF about $455 per year) or a 2BR EY (MF about $480 per year). You wouldn't need to pay for an extra RCI account because a weeks account is included in your Wyndham program fee. If you reserve a good week you would get 20-23 tpu's per side plus a trading boost for paying MF's early (which you would want to do anyway to be able to reserve the prime weeks) of 10-17. You would then have enough trading power for 1 prime and 1-2 off season exchanges back into regal vistas per year with a $159 exchange fee (and no extra housekeeping charges or 3-4 exchanges back into less than prime.

When you exchange with points a 3 night stay would cost a $109 exchange fee . Each would also have a housekeeping fee of $47 and you would only have enough points for one prime 3 day weekend and one shoulder season 3 day weekend because weekends cost more than week days.
Thank you for the information.
Having to pay for a RCI points membership is why I stopped looking into this last year. I'm not sure if it's worth it to still have to pay exchange and housekeeping fees. The Regal Vistas exchange was my first time doing an exchange with my Wyndham account. I am very afraid I will book something that is subpar. But previously, I was only looking for resorts in SW FL where there are not any Wyndham resorts.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I largely agree with what @tschwa2 is saying. And you might find someone willing to pay you to take one of those Summit contracts. If it was me, I would probably rather get for free or pay a few dollars for a prime Woodstone week (versus Summit), which may be easier to unload in the end. The other thing I will add is there is no guarantee that the "trading boost" for early payment will continue. They make it clear every year that it is something that could go away if they do not have the excess deposits. The program was scaled back last year by not allowing owners to purchase additional boosts after prepaying MFs. We should find out next month if it sticks around for this year.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Timeshare nation has some free massanutten resorts. I also saw a colonies listed as well. I do not know the TPU you’ll get based on the week though.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for posting. I would completely take that Colonies unit for free (good 150 TDI summer week) or be willing to pay a little for it but I want an annual instead of an EOY to maximize my ability to get rid of it when I am done.

I had one bought for basically free on eBay, but I am now going on 4 months, am not getting responses, and there are no indications they have it through the 30 day ROFR process yet. I also just missed one selling here on TUG (still listed but sale is pending).

Timeshare nation has some free massanutten resorts. I also saw a colonies listed as well. I do not know the TPU you’ll get based on the week though.