• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Problems with the Wyndham Owners Forum?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ride

the folks that rent their points for $5/1000 are just trying to recover their costs. They will even make their VIP benefits available to you

You may be just a poor single dad looking for an affordable vacation...but Im a poorer old fart trying to get by on social security. I need a profit..$7/1000 points is about right if I want to help someone out..but Ive been renting 3 day weekends at about $10/1000. Although if you catch me the week before my social security hits my bank account you may get a deal...there at least one tugger that got some of my points for $4.50/1000

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score
$7 per 1,000 :eek: Some of the Timeshares in the Wyndham system go up to 700,000 points! That's $4,900 for a week!

Granted i only need about 40,000 for two nights, but that's still $280 for only two nights! I'm just a poor single dad! That extra $80 is a week of food!

ETA:
I guess if that includes the $99 cost of a Guest Certificate its not bad...now(2:28pm) if i can get a Platinum member to book it, with their 50% off points and free upgrade, i can get a 2br for 30,300 points $7 per 1,000 equals, $212.10....still more then i like to pay per day, but not 'ridiculously high'

If you are looking for a plat with discount and upgrade I'm guessing your point cost is going to be closer to 15,000 than 30,000 which would save you some money. so if you got one for 15,000 at $7 then your cost is only 52.50 per night.

Jason

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I asked on the other Wyndham yahoo group, Glenn responded that that the backups for the past couple months were corrupt and they brought a tool in to fix it and that he has seen some indications that the platform is being put back in place.

The space was donated and not only was the forum lost, but the donor's business stuff also.

Ride,
I saw a PM where my husband might have tried to help you, but we are a poor family with upcoming college expenses which doesn't leave much room. I do agree that it is that darn guest certificate fee that kills the price. And of course, those newer Wyndham resort's point charts are through the roof. I don't even like paying the point prices with the discount and the upgrade.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I asked on the other Wyndham yahoo group, Glenn responded that that the backups for the past couple months were corrupt and they brought a tool in to fix it and that he has seen some indications that the platform is being put back in place.

The space was donated and not only was the forum lost, but the donor's business stuff also.

Ride,
I saw a PM where my husband might have tried to help you, but we are a poor family with upcoming college expenses which doesn't leave much room. I do agree that it is that darn guest certificate fee that kills the price. And of course, those newer Wyndham resort's point charts are through the roof. I don't even like paying the point prices with the discount and the upgrade.

Your husband was very nice and i wish i could have worked out something with him, i hope i didn't offending him with the lowballing, that wasn't my intention. It is those darn guest certificate fees that kill everything with Wyndham, it can't be easy for those that make a business out of renting to put out competitive pricing

rrlongwell

Reaction score
If you are looking for a plat with discount and upgrade I'm guessing your point cost is going to be closer to 15,000 than 30,000 which would save you some money. so if you got one for 15,000 at $7 then your cost is only 52.50 per night.

Jason

I could be wrong but the trend I see becoming more visable is preditor renters want the rental from Platium Members at a fraction of the maintance fees they pay and all the associate benifits. I suspect there are not very many takers on this approach. I could be wrong. I would leave the units sit empty or use them myself at the rate indicated above. I suspect that most of this activity is driven by people trying to rent for a fraction of the maitance fees being paid to then re-rent to others for the profit. A verision of Equity Stealing that you occussionally hear about in the real estate market.

Last edited:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but the trend I see becoming more visable is preditor renters want the rental from Platium Members at a fraction of the maintance fees they pay and all the associate benifits. I suspect there are not very many takers on this approach. I could be wrong. I would leave the units sit empty or use them myself at the rate indicated above. I suspect that most of this activity is driven by people trying to rent for a fraction of the maitance fees being paid to then re-rent to others for the profit. A verision of Equity Stealing that you occussionally hear about in the real estate market.

Aren't you one of the people always saying 'Rentals are cheaper then MF's, so why buy?"

When the Wyndham forum was open there were dozens of ad's for people wanting to rent their points for $5 per 1,000, i remember 1 or 2 at $4.50 per thousand, i don't think its 'predatory' when it is the going rate ....If you are a Platinum owner and your paying MORE then $5 per thousand in MF's, you need to reconsider what properties you own at....

As for the 'Equity Stealing' belief, i'm not sure how this would work unless the platinum owner was in on it....The Guest can't call up and change the Guest Certificates, that's something that HAS to be done by the owners...seems like something that would have to be planned out months ahead...the renter would have to advertise and get a renters name to put on the Guest Certificate BEFORE the owner books the room...Very dangerous, its more likely you aren't going to be able to follow through with the rental then you are

Last edited:

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to try this Wyndham group, if you are not already a member. This is not a very active group at all. It is an offshoot of the original yahoo group whose members didn't want to lose the email format when it when into a board format. There may not be alot of activity, but there are a number of members. You have to join of course.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wyndham_Fairfield_Timeshare_Owners/

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Aren't you one of the people always saying 'Rentals are cheaper then MF's, so why buy?"

When the Wyndham forum was open there were dozens of ad's for people wanting to rent their points for $5 per 1,000, i remember 1 or 2 at $4.50 per thousand, i don't think its 'predatory' when it is the going rate ....If you are a Platinum owner and your paying MORE then $5 per thousand in MF's, you need to reconsider what properties you own at....

As for the 'Equity Stealing' belief, i'm not sure how this would work unless the platinum owner was in on it....The Guest can't call up and change the Guest Certificates, that's something that HAS to be done by the owners...seems like something that would have to be planned out months ahead...the renter would have to advertise and get a renters name to put on the Guest Certificate BEFORE the owner books the room...Very dangerous, its more likely you aren't going to be able to follow through with the rental then you are

... IF you are only getting what you believe are low ball offers, obviously your asking too much ... You guys should feel privileged to even get offered $100 for you week...

Letting you week go to waste because you can't accept the REAL value of your week is stubborn and ignorant...It's the same thing with retail buyers and the thing we fight everyday against here on TUG
No, you have me confused with someone else, I do not rent on E-Bay or the Internet. I am the one that believes that direct purchases from Wyndham still make sense in some cases. As I have already indicated to you, in response to your PM, I do not have enough remaining points to rent to you.

P.S. Posts with negative implications will not change my mind. I guess I am just stubborn and ignorant and no I do not rent for $100 dollars a week.

Good try.

P.P.S. No, I am not a distressed timeshare owner, wish you well on your searches for distressed Platium Owners. I would tend to think finding them would be similar to looking for a needle in a haystack. Please note: I do see million point packages show up on E-Bay from time to time, but not many and even fewer that do not have mininium bids associated with them and none showing up in the for rent timeshare/timeshare packages.

Last edited:

hjtug

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was able to login today

to the Wynham Resorts Forums (Wyndham Owners Forum). The format seemed different and I didn't find any new posts, but I didn't spend much time on it.

Last edited:

massvacationer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can get-in too. The formatting sure does look different.

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's just the raw forum data without a pretty skin or theme. I don't think all the data is their either. Sure hope they can get it back.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to try this Wyndham group, if you are not already a member. This is not a very active group at all. It is an offshoot of the original yahoo group whose members didn't want to lose the email format when it when into a board format. There may not be alot of activity, but there are a number of members. You have to join of course.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wyndham_Fairfield_Timeshare_Owners/

Remember the good old Yahoo Group days??!!! I miss that format.

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember the good old Yahoo Group days??!!! I miss that format.

I have that thought frequently and I wonder what ever happened to Keith who origially founded it.

Glen did a great job taking it over and I know alot of work went into setting up the current forum, but for me it was just never the same. I finally decided to really give it a chance about a month or so ago and within a week or two it crashed.

So much for that idea...

One of my current forms of entertainment is figuring out which tug users names belong to old forum members and I am not quite sure if I have you figured out yet. :)

vkrn

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any news about the Wyndham Forum? There is nothing at that site now. Has the forum been given up?

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is the current update from the site...

Current Status

Chad and his techies have been able to partically bring back the site. I will be working with them to get us back up and operating. However my 90 yr old father is in the hospital and I will not be able to devote a lot of time this week.

Glenn Benscoter (March/29/2012)

Hope that helps.

Jason

hjtug

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just tried the site and got a login page for the first time since the site went down. I tried to login but it wouldn't recognize my ID. Perhaps we have to reregister.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just tried the site and got a login page for the first time since the site went down. I tried to login but it wouldn't recognize my ID. Perhaps we have to reregister.

Board index
Change font size
FAQ
Register
Login

Some news is good news!:cheer:

Information

Yes its been a long time.. but we are almost back.. Data recovery under way (wish us luck!!) -May 2, 2012

Board index
The team • Delete all board cookies • All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]