• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pricing question, dollar per point

jlange

Reaction score
One more question as I research our purchase, perhaps folks here will know. We are looking at buying into an LV location resale. I see some out there that are 5,000 points going for between $5-7K. But 7,000 point listings tend to be between $11-13K. The cost per point is much cheaper for the 5,000 point deals. Why is that? Usually the more you buy the lower the per unit cost. What am I missing that would explain this?

Thanks

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
The 7000 point packages are 2BR units in Platinum season, whereas the 5000 point packages are 2BR units in Gold season. You pay yearly maintenance fees based on unit size, not number of point -- so the 5K point owner will pay the same MF every year as the 7K point owner, but will receive 2K less points!

Even though HGVC is a points-based system, you actually purchase a certain unit size and a certain week. The week you purchase determines how many points you will receive, not the other way around.

Therefore with all things being equal, Platinum-season weeks usually command a premium over Gold-season weeks, due to the yearly MF/point ratio.

Kurt

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the price difference is the expectation of the owner that is selling. For example, when I purchased my TS, I was able to buy a 9600pt platinum season for what other sellers were asking for their 8400pt platinum at the same resort.

TS is no different than buying a house. A seller makes an asking price and the buyer can give a counter offer. In the good old days of the housing boom, sellers good ask for outrageous prices. Currently during the housing bust, buyers can drop the price and get a paid 1 week vacation in Hawaii.

In closing, buying resale will always put you ahead because it will always be up to 50% off the retail price. Sometimes even more.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Platinum weeks have higher purchase prices usually, but lower per point costs over time.

Gold weeks usually have lower purchase prices, but then have higher costs per point over time. So initially this may be a cheaper purchase, but over time it will always cost more, unless you sell your week.

So for example $1000 MF for 7000 points Platinum = $0.1428 per point cost
same $1000 MF for 5000 points Gold = $0.20 per point costs. So Annually it would be about 40% more per point costs for a Gold underlying weeks versus a Platinum. If you keep your timeshare for any length of time, cost per point of ownership will be less on the larger packages.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to use Hilton every year and you need a 2 bedroom, 7K points is the way to go. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't later add one 2K point package - you'd have to buy more- and pay more maintenance fee.

5K is enough for me because we own 2 Marriotts - we only need Hilton every other year (this year we hope to borrow ahead for Hawaii). If Hilton had more locations (the affiliates "don't count" for me because they're not as easy to trade into), I would have bought more points and one less Marriott.

robichaudj

TUG Member
Reaction score
EOY cost?

Hey, can anyone provide some guidance on how every other year packages should price out, I see $1.40/pt - $2.00/pt being thrown around as "good" sales prices, but don't see a lot of info on EOY units. We are looking at a 2 bed/platinum in Hawaii with 7,000 HGVC points, seller is looking for $6k, any advice is appreciated.

Bill4728

Reaction score
BostonKeo said:
Hey, can anyone provide some guidance on how every other year packages should price out, I see $1.40/pt - $2.00/pt being thrown around as "good" sales prices, but don't see a lot of info on EOY units. We are looking at a 2 bed/platinum in Hawaii with 7,000 HGVC points, seller is looking for $6k, any advice is appreciated.
Price /pt has several variables. In your case the biggest variable is that your looking at pts from the hawaii resorts. They often get a significant price bonus. So platinum pts from resorts in LV or Orlando pts may be a good deal at $1.50/pt, Pts from the hawaiian resorts ( except the bay club which is an affiliate) generally run significantly higher >$2.00/pt.

Hope that helps!