• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pricing for 7,500 points at HGVC Kings Land...

Armand3

Reaction score
Just got off the phone after receiving an offer from an HGVC salesperson for 7,500 pts at the new HGVC Kings Land property for $23,605 - including closing costs. They are also including 15,000 bonus points. I've looked and seen HGVC resales with 7,000 pts for several thousand dollars less at other properties and am wondering if I'm paying way too much - even though this is a brand new property? I haven't signed anything yet (just let them run the down payment/closing cost on my AmEx), so I should be able to back out simply enough. I plan to use the points at different places (not just in Hawaii), so is this anywhere near a decent deal? Is there any benefit to having the points associated with this property?

Also, are there any other questions I need to ask before signing the contract? Some posts mentioned different types of rooms - regular, plus, premier - is this something I should worry about? Thanks.

benjaminb13

Reaction score
For developer pricing that is pretty good- Im surprised- they were selling 7000HGVC Waik resort at 30000 developer and half that price today resale- I think they ROFR at 14000-

Closing costs are around 1000 - so 22000 for the brand new kingsland units - plus closing costs paid for and 15000 points you can use or you can convert into 2 round trip tickets to Hawaii is not a bad deal.

Im here in Waikoloa now last night of three in bay Club- units are fair- Ill be in HGVC Waik tomorrow till July 6- cant wait- those units are really nice.
Kings club are under construction- so that must be the reason for good pricing.

Emi

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a good price for developer. When we were there in April, they were selling 2Br Platinum (12600) for $45700. On a per point basis that is $3.62 per point. When it was initially selling, the openin gprice was $3.41 per point. So your present offer is $3.14 per point.

7500 points does not sound familiar. What type of unit and season is it? There is a Platinum season and a Gold season. You can only reserve as a home advantage in the season you own. But if you are buying for using points elsewhere, then it does not matter. But if that is the casae, why not buy resale for less than $2 a point?

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Check out my other thread. I just paid $9800 for 7000 points at Flamingo, via an eBay auction.

Unless you plan to use exactly what you bought every year and you really need that 12 month window for Kingsland, I think you're paying way too much. $13000 extra for that 12 month window is a steep price.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Check out my other thread. I just paid $9800 for 7000 points at Flamingo, via an eBay auction.

Unless you plan to use exactly what you bought every year and you really need that 12 month window for Kingsland, I think you're paying way too much. $13000 extra for that 12 month window is a steep price.

Your offer is a good offer for a developer purchase. But I agree with Blue. Why pay an extra $13,000 if you don't have to?

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Congratulations

I bid on that. It was my first experience with ebay. I learned about TS auctions on ebay and investigated ebay because of this web site. Perhaps I should become a full fledged TUG member and not just a guest.

Last edited:

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bid on that. It was my first experience with ebay. I learned about TS auctions on ebay and investigated ebay because of this web site. Perhaps I should become a full fledged TUG member and not just a guest.

Becoming a member of TUG is a no-brainer. Best $15 I ever spent.

There seem to be quite a few HGVCs on eBay right now, for very reasonable prices. Keep looking, I'm sure you'll find a bargain.

Take a look at this one. You have to read through the description to discover that it's a 4800 point platinum 1 BR at Bay Club. Currently going for about $500. The description also says that the reserve is $2000, which would be the most incredible deal in the world. But you may be able to get it for $5-6000, which would still be a great deal.

Ends in 5 hours (from when I'm posting this).

-Bob

Edited to add:
Oops, I just read the text more carefully, and it's an every-other-year. Be careful in bidding -- it should go for half of an every year unit. BTW, I hate it when sellers bury such pertinent information way deep in the description.

Last edited:

benjaminb13

Reaction score
Your offer is a good offer for a developer purchase. But I agree with Blue. Why pay an extra $13,000 if you don't have to?

With this philosophy Bill - then everyone should just buy at less expensive resorts like the affiliate Bay Club- or flamingo (is the flamingo an affiliate?)- or scotland since they are cheaper and exchange- I think owning where you want togo for sure serves a purpose- Im in the Bay club now and if I want to access the pools in HWV itll cost me 75.00/day. And they keep saying they may drop the Bay club- I have my home resort in Waikoloa that I always have for a week for sure plat- and I add to it by using some of my Vegas Strip points around the same price as Blue did- which I purchased for to add days- I have a feeling it will become more difficult to exchange into the Hawaii resorts in the future- especially if you have childrenIts already getting more difficult in HHV in Oahu- and Waik was more difficult at the 9 month point to get the 2 bedroom I needed. Bay Club is always a breeze- but the units are still jujst --fair- on a positve note they are roomy.

AFJAY

Reaction score
Kings Land

We were on our VIP package, was offered the following.

Kings Land Platium 10,500 EOY 2 BR (Yes it's Platium)

21K, - 1800 VIP Package, and was willing to purchase our Gold 5000 EY 2 BR Las Vegas at 9k (we paid 6K)

Anyway... final cost with closing etc 10k. 7000 bonus points

What do you all think ?

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

Because if you want to go to Hawaii, specifically this resort, then it's best to own in Hawaii. Especially if you want a specific unit type, view and want to stay for a full week. I've watched the exchange availability for Hawaii and it's just not been there like it has in previous years. I suspect because the Vegas and Orlando sales offices sell those locations but push the idea that it's "easy" to exchange into Hawaii. Right now it's extremely easy to exchange out of Hawaii but not so easy to trade in, especially for a specific resort, specific unit type and specific view.

Just last month we were at HHV in the Lagoon Towers. We had a great time but, I'd rather have had a 2 bedroom unit either ocean view or ocean front and, I had enough points to pay for either. We especially prefer ocean front units. The best I could do was snag a 1 bedroom ocean view, which was great but, it's not really what we wanted. That and, as an exchanger, we were on the 8th floor rather than higher up the tower. We were afforded a lagoon side room but, again, as an exchanger I'm assuming we'd be behind actually owners for view placement.

Because of the cost my bet would be Hawaiian owners buy in Hawaii to stay in Hawaii rather than exchange. Conversely, Vegas and Orlando owners probably exchange more frequently and, if they believe the salesmen, many may actually buy at these locations for the lower MF's just to exchange into Hawaii.

So, IMHO, if you really want to go to Hawaii more often than not, then it's best to own where you want to go and own the unit/view type you'd be happiest vacationing in.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

21K, - 1800 VIP Package, and was willing to purchase our Gold 5000 EY 2 BR Las Vegas at 9k (we paid 6K)

What do you all think ?

As I mentioned in my previous post, if you're wanting to go to Hawaii and stay in this specific unit type/view, season and resort, then it's best to own there. If your going to be exchanging out of this resort more often than not, then it's expensive to own there and buy from the developer.

After having spent a week at HHV on Oahu, it would have been better to buy there than in Vegas for us. I could easily see us traveling to Oahu each year in January or March for a week of relaxation. But, the cost difference for the unit type/view over what we own and paid for at the LV Strip location was to much to pay, so, we'll have to be satisfied owning in Vegas and taking whatever exchange we can get when we want to go back to the islands.

jestme

Reaction score
"Buy where you want to go" is always a good policy. Although in HGVC's current world, trading into Hawaii from Orlando or Las Vegas is common, there is no guarantee that will continue. Both new resorts in Hawaii have larger point requirements than elsewhere, and that is not a fluke. Also, keep in mind, legally, what you own is what you are guaranteed. There is nothing stopping HGVC from deciding to trade everything through RCI, and getting out of the trading business altogether. I'm not saying it will happen, but if it did, I'd prefer to own where I want to go rather than own points where I have to RCI trade all the time.
As far as "buy resale", some people at TUG tend to lean towards it. I am a "last minute" type person, and use "Open Season" a lot. The developers "bonus points" were very valuable to me, as I used all of mine in Hawaii, mostly in studios and 1 BR. 15000 bonus points would have gotten me about 5 additional weeks in Hawaii in the first two years of owning. Even at $250 / night, that is over $8K worth of bonus. That would make your purchase effectively $15K, or $2.00 / point, which is certainly not far off resale point costs.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Walk don't run...

Just got off the phone after receiving an offer from an HGVC salesperson for 7,500 pts at the new HGVC Kings Land property for $23,605 - including closing costs.

What are you getting for 7,500 points? I don't see 7500 listed on the Kingsland point chart?
See page 101 of the Membership Guide - http://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/mg/

They are also including 15,000 bonus points.
Bonus points are ok but you will save more overall with resale.

According to the latest Membership Guide, Bonus Points cannot be used to reserve accomodations during the Home Resort week or Club Reservation window. Bonus points cannot be transferred or assigned and cannot be borrowed or deposited into next year's account.
See page 143 of the Membership Guide for the rules regarding Bonus points - http://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/mg/

I've looked and seen HGVC resales with 7,000 pts for several thousand dollars less at other properties and am wondering if I'm paying way too much - even though this is a brand new property?
You will always pay more if you buy from the developer. If you want Kingsland as your home resort and have to buy now then you're going to pay much more. Kingland is their newest resort so resale listings will be limiited for the next couple of years but it doesn't mean you can't find a better resale deal for Kingsland. It just might take longer.

I plan to use the points at different places (not just in Hawaii), so is this anywhere near a decent deal? Is there any benefit to having the points associated with this property?

I suggest that you hang out on TUG and learn about the system and timesharing before you rush into a decision. If you decide that you want to go ahead with a purchase directly from HGVC then you can simply contact HGVC for the latest offer.

HGVC has three reservation windows:
(1) Home Resort window (3 month period requires a full week reservation)
(2) Club Reservation window (9 month period requires a three night minimum)
(3) Open Season window (30 day period requires a two night minimum)

HGVC works like a floating week system during the home resort window which means from 12 months to 9 months before check-in, if you want to visit your home resort then you must reserve the exact unit size and type in the season that you purchased (studio, 1 bedroom plus, etc) for the full week based on the fixed checkin date at your home resort. There is no flexibility.

HGVC works like a point based system during the Club Reservation window which means 9 months before checkout anyone can exchange into any season, resort (including your home resort), unit size and/or type for any number of days (minimum of 3 nights). This means all HGVC resort owners have an equal chance at booking at any HGVC resort (except NYC W57) during the Club Reservation window.

To me, it only makes sense to buy Hawaii if you're planning to
(1) primarily stay at your home resort with plans to book during the home resort period (9 to 12 months out). Don't count on last minute reservation at the HGVC developed Hawaii resorts.
(2) need or prefer to travel during peak season - whenever the kids are out of school (Winter Break, Summer, Spring Break).

HGVC has the right to change the Club Rules at anytime so I do believe it is important to be happy with staying at whatever location you choose as your home resort.

Also, are there any other questions I need to ask before signing the contract? Some posts mentioned different types of rooms - regular, plus, premier - is this something I should worry about?

Read the HGVC overview on the TUG advice board - http://www.tug2.net/tugadvic.shtml (under the section titled "Clubs and Multi-Resorts")
Read Timeshare 101 on the TUG advice board - http://www.tug2.net/advice/TimeShare-101.htm
Read the old TUG threads and use the Search function to locate different topics of interest.

Welcome to TUG and Good Luck with your decision :hi:

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

What do you all think ?

Just realized you bumped this old thread. I guess some of my comments above still apply.

I found an old thread that has the Waikoloa prices from last year. Post #20 from this old thread also shows the additional HGVC point values which are not displayed in the HGVC Membership Guide on page 101 - http://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/mg/

So for a total of 16K (6k you spent on the trade-in plus the additional 10K), you get a 2 bedroom (unit type XI) EOY at Kingsland. It's a personal decision. If this is where you plan to primarily stay and you plan to use the home resort window then it's not a bad deal.

AFJAY

Reaction score
Went back and told them we were looking to cancel and just keep our Las Vegas. They bummped it to 12,600 plat. + and 9000 bonus points EOY for $1,500 more. We do like the Kings Land Prop. and see ourselves going there, so were happy with this and one maint. fee for now, we'll maybe look at resale in the future if we feel like we need more..

Jay

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Went back and told them we were looking to cancel and just keep our Las Vegas. They bummped it to 12,600 plat. + and 9000 bonus points EOY for $1,500 more. We do like the Kings Land Prop. and see ourselves going there, so were happy with this and one maint. fee for now, we'll maybe look at resale in the future if we feel like we need more..

Jay

Congratulations on your Kingsland purchase. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Bill4728

Reaction score
AlwaysOnVac said:
HGVC has three reservation windows:
(1) Home Resort window (3 month period requires a full week reservation)
(2) Club Reservation window (9 month period requires a three night minimum)
(3) Open Season window (30 day period requires a two night minimum)

HGVC works like a floating week system during the home resort window which means from 12 months to 9 months before check-in, if you want to visit your home resort then you must reserve the exact unit size and type in the season that you purchased (studio, 1 bedroom plus, etc) for the full week based on the fixed checkin date at your home resort. There is no flexibility.

HGVC works like a point based system during the Club Reservation window which means 9 months before checkout anyone can exchange into any season, resort (including your home resort), unit size and/or type for any number of days (minimum of 3 nights). This means all HGVC resort owners have an equal chance at booking at any HGVC resort (except NYC W57) during the Club Reservation window.
I may change the HGVC FAQ to this wording . It is very clear and easy to understand.

Thanks

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks Bill :)

Bustah

Reaction score
I think we need to get him a job fixing our member guide, we can easily shrink it down to 3-4 pages of useful information with posts like that!