• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

prices

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
so are prices coming off their highs? or was this just a fluke last week
1,000,000 Panama City Beach at $8.20/1000
and this one tonight
300,000 Bonnet creek at $8.40/1000

Not too long ago I would have expected these to go for $15/1000

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Cyclical decrease? Prices higher when people are fresh off summer vacations and looking to buy, and then decrease in the fall and winter.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cyclical decrease? Prices higher when people are fresh off summer vacations and looking to buy, and then decrease in the fall and winter.

I was thinking that also ... summer vacationing.

Or it could be MFs are slowing some people's buying mood.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panama City was $8200 with the closing costs. That's a lot for a seller with 3 feedbacks on hobby items, one negative for shipping the wrong item, which was corrected.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panama City was $8200 with the closing costs. That's a lot for a seller with 3 feedbacks on hobby items, one negative for shipping the wrong item, which was corrected.

I agree that an unknown seller would scare away a lot of casual buyers. So would a million points. But I gotta say if I had had $10000 in the bank I would have bid. Panama City has low enough fees that it is worth some risk

But the 300000 point Sumday auction tonight went for pretty much the same price per point. Bonnet creek is a popular ownership with slightly less than average mf and Sumday is a trusted seller and 300000 points is a good number (not too large and not too small)

I was surprised is all and hope the trend (if it is a trend) continues long enough for me to buy some more for under a penny a point

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was surprised is all and hope the trend (if it is a trend) continues long enough for me to buy some more for under a penny a point

Low cost points are good for your profits, but for me it increases my cost.

I used my $4.37 points to book Midtown 45 for one night in NY for $144, A big savings over $300-400 for a low cost hotel. But I spent about another $600 for train, play, boat ride, beer, and meals. Where's the savings?

Now I'm following another a small contract on ebay, I hope the price goes up.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Low cost points are good for your profits, but for me it increases my cost.

I used my $4.37 points to book Midtown 45 for one night in NY for $144, A big savings over $300-400 for a low cost hotel. But I spent about another $600 for train, play, boat ride, beer, and meals. Where's the savings?

Now I'm following another a small contract on ebay, I hope the price goes up.

Is anyone else having a hard time following this?

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else having a hard time following this?

He has points that have low maintenance fees ($4.37/1000), but had to pay much more than the cost of the unit for all the other expenses.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
NYC is expensive .. wonder if he has gotten the parking lot bill yet???? No in & out starts at $60 per day PLUS taxes plus tip to attendant.

I am sure his (freeloading?) travelling partner LOVED the city --- wants him to BUY MORE points so as to travel there MORE. He hopes for the point prices to GO UP and become too expensive verses paying ALL the support costs at the Wyndham Midtown NYC.

I got it ... I have already stayed there ... NYC is VERY expensive.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
NYC is expensive .. wonder if he has gotten the parking lot bill yet???? No in & out starts at $60 per day PLUS taxes plus tip to attendant.

I am sure his (freeloading?) travelling partner LOVED the city --- wants him to BUY MORE points so as to travel there MORE. He hopes for the point prices to GO UP and become too expensive verses paying ALL the support costs at the Wyndham Midtown NYC.

I got it ... I have already stayed there ... NYC is VERY expensive.

sure its expensive, but how does paying more for his points mitigate that

He must be a seller, and not a buyer

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now I'm getting confused.

Linda's correct. If the price of the contract goes up, then I don't bid which saves me not only the maintenance fee, but also the other higher costs.

We took AMTRAK at $160 for two, so there was no parking fee. Already my wife suggested that we could save money by driving to New Haven, pay to park there, then take Metro North off-peak and save $120 minus the parking fee and see another play.

By the way, we thought that the play "Beautiful" about Carol King and the music that she wrote with her husband was terrific, but maybe we should drive there for a Sunday matinee for the next play.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Ok, getting a nice place to stay in NYC is expensive. But if you get a good deal on a timeshare rental, or purchase that is a plus. The extras that you choose to do is true of any place you travel. Think of the money you saved on lodging and it should help because if you payed more for your place, you still would have to pay for the extras you chose to do.
Silentg

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score

Seller's market in July and August, buyer's market December through February has been the pattern since the economy emerged from the Great Recession.

There are fewer, but still a steady supply all year, of $1.00 contracts for those looking for less than 200,000 points.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, getting a nice place to stay in NYC is expensive. But if you get a good deal on a timeshare rental, or purchase that is a plus. The extras that you choose to do is true of any place you travel. Think of the money you saved on lodging and it should help because if you payed more for your place, you still would have to pay for the extras you chose to do.
Silentg

The timeshare place is acceptable for the price with a VIP discount.

It is ALL the other EXTRA expenses ... FOOD, DRINK, theater tickets, cabs, admissions, doormen, museums, boat rides, sightseeing tours .... very few things cost under $100 each.

Even the panhandlers want bills above $10 ... ;)

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seller's market in July and August, buyer's market December through February has been the pattern since the economy emerged from the Great Recession.

There are fewer, but still a steady supply all year, of $1.00 contracts for those looking for less than 200,000 points.

Wyndham has always had a smaller dip at the end of the year than a lot of timeshares, because we pay our fees on a monthly basis, there are no big January bills due. But its not even the end of the year yet. And this year is bound to be different than other years, In the past it was decreased demand that pushed prices down. Supply from the post card companies remained pretty constant. Its a completely different dynamic this year. This year the supply was diminished due to Ovation and prices went up. If the two sales I posted are any indication prices went down more than 50% practically overnight

A dip is one thing but these went off at half of what I would expect.(its not even the 4th quarter yet) I think the big buyers have either satisfied their needs or a penny and a half is just too much for them to make any money (I know its pushing my limit and Im pretty good at squeezing value out of this stuff)

I think something else is happening other than the typical end of the year dip, but Im not sure what. (perhaps Wyndham put Ovation on hold)

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
We're beackniks that plop for the week. Sun, sand, waves, bird watching etc... Took college aged sons and girly friends once, and its like "ok, what are we going to do tomorrow?" What about the next day, etc.... Our relaxation time became high maintenance time that we get at home. Told the boys "you're on your own!" And they are worse than panhandlers, "Mom, is it ok if I put this on your credit card????"

Now spending leftover college fund dollars on TS points. I too am waiting for the Dec to Feb price drop for some cherry picking.....

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham has always had a smaller dip at the end of the year than a lot of timeshares, because we pay our fees on a monthly basis, there are no big January bills due. But its not even the end of the year yet. And this year is bound to be different than other years, In the past it was decreased demand that pushed prices down. Supply from the post card companies remained pretty constant. Its a completely different dynamic this year. This year the supply was diminished due to Ovation and prices went up. If the two sales I posted are any indication prices went down more than 50% practically overnight

A dip is one thing but these went off at half of what I would expect.(its not even the 4th quarter yet) I think the big buyers have either satisfied their needs or a penny and a half is just too much for them to make any money (I know its pushing my limit and Im pretty good at squeezing value out of this stuff)

I think something else is happening other than the typical end of the year dip, but Im not sure what. (perhaps Wyndham put Ovation on hold)

Could it be that Ovation hit the wall and has run short of owners that know about, understand, and trust the program?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

Are the MF’s going up to the point that the ROI is creating less of a demand and the buyers that purchase these big points units no longer see the value? It is weird that there is a 50% drop seemingly overnight

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are the MF’s going up to the point that the ROI is creating less of a demand and the buyers that purchase these big points units no longer see the value? It is weird that there is a 50% drop seemingly overnight

New MFs haven't been released yet.

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, for me I feel the drop in the stock market has some of us worried. I used to love to watch ebay to see what was up for sale in the timeshare world, but now I don't trust myself and might bid on something when I shouldn't.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

the two sales I posted don't make a trend so I wouldn't say we have a 50% drop yet. Although a royal vista 308 k went off at 11/1000 a few minute ago ... So maybe 25%

You and I do however agree that prices should be related to mf and the higher the mf the lower the price should be. Kind of like stock prices ought to be related to earnings

However I believe that if prices come down its because the relationship between price and mf got out of wack 1.5 to 2 cents a point was too high. A speculative bubble, you might say. If prices come down I would call it a correction or a return to normalcy not a reaction to a change in mf

That's just an old stock brokers opinion. Probably doesn't mean much

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another factor that can lower the selling price is current year points have less value with vacation seasons over and not likely to book Christmas week. Also, the closing might not occur until 2016, thus losing all of 2015 points.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another factor that can lower the selling price is current year points have less value with vacation seasons over and not likely to book Christmas week. Also, the closing might not occur until 2016, thus losing all of 2015 points.

2015 points arent a factor at all. At this time of the year they neither add value by being there, or or take it away if not.

for my purposes 2015 was over 2 or 3 months ago, when I could buy something with 2015 points, get it settled by Sept 30, and the points in the credit pool.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could it be that Ovation hit the wall and has run short of owners that know about, understand, and trust the program?

Thats what I think, a few months you you couldnt find a 300000+ points contract on ebay or redweek.. recently Ive seen several