• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Priceline bidding for air?

flowergurl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used Priceline to put in a 'name your own price' bid for an airline ticket? How did it work out? Advantages, disadvantages?

My niece and husband want to join us in Hawaii for my daughter's June wedding there and they are considering bidding on Priceline to get a lower cost ticket.

Thanks,
Diane

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The main disadvantage is that you must pay before you bid, and all purchases are final, and you can't choose the time of the flight. I like Priceline for hotels, but have never used it for flights, because we want to choose our flights.

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I used it once a long time ago and never again. Ended up with such an inconvenient schedule that the savings wasn't worth it.

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
how about hotwire for flights.??

natasha5687

TUG Member
Reaction score
how about hotwire for flights.??

Hotwire is OK for flights but I usually use Expedia. Once I find the least expensive flight I go directly to the carriers website. I find that often times the selection of flight is better once you get to the actuall carries site.

flowergurl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hotwire is OK for flights but I usually use Expedia. Once I find the least expensive flight I go directly to the carriers website. I find that often times the selection of flight is better once you get to the actuall carries site.

Good to know, Natasha, thanks! For some reason, I think I'll feel more secure purchasing our six round-trip tickets to Hawaii through the actual carrier's site. It's such a chunk of money and from what I see it appears to be nonrefundable for the best priced tickets, which are already sitting at about $1200 each from my hometown!

I haven't bought an airline ticket for over 30 years so I'm really rusty at this whole process!

natasha5687

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good to know, Natasha, thanks! For some reason, I think I'll feel more secure purchasing our six round-trip tickets to Hawaii through the actual carrier's site. It's such a chunk of money and from what I see it appears to be nonrefundable for the best priced tickets, which are already sitting at about $1200 each from my hometown!

I haven't bought an airline ticket for over 30 years so I'm really rusty at this whole process!

Diane,

You are very welcome. If you want to post (or PM) the airport that you (or whomever is looking for tickets) are flying out of and into as well as your dates I may be able to locate cheaper tickets. I'm kind of obsessed with saving money. For instance I saved $100 per ticket on my upcoming Orlando trip by flying out of an airport 35 minutes from home and then flying back into an airport 45 minutes from home and ended up with direct flights to boot. A little bit of creativity can go a long way. I am also going to Myrtle Beach, my family and I will drive but due to disability my mother cant sit as long. Her ticket was $300 cheaper and a direct flight by flying in and out of the airport 35 minutes away.

Last edited:

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas

I do the same thing, but with Kayak. I use Kayak for everything (Car & Hotel) but then go to the website after looking up coupon codes, etc.

What I have observed is that pretty much every search site ends up searching the same database and presenting the same info.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've used Priceline quite a bit with hotels and rental cars and have been very happy with the results, but I will probably never use Priceline for flights. The flexibility you have to give them (your initial flight out can be anytime from 6am to 10pm and you may have one connection) basically makes the first and last day of the trip useless.

For instance, if I wanted to go to NYC and needed to be there by 4pm on 7/21 and could leave anytime after 4pm on 7/24, I would HAVE to fly in on 7/20 and back on 7/25, otherwise I might arrive to late and/or have to leave too early. If I booked direct, I could book a flight out that arrives before 4pm on 7/21 and a flight back that doesn't leave until after 4pm on 7/24. Those two extra nights in NYC would cost $200-$300 or more, so it's highly unlikely I would save enough to make it worthwhile.

Maybe it's not as big of a deal on a full week (or multi-week) trip staying in a timeshare, with a whole family, because that first and last day isn't as important. But from what I've heard from others, there's usually not a whole lot of savings.

Perhaps it might work out for last minute timeshares/flights. Find a great timeshare. Put it on hold. Bid on cheap airfare at Priceline. If you get it, confirm the exchange. If not, release it.