• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Preventing passing on timeshare after death

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Island Links
Owning a timeshare with the increasing maintenance fees is one problems. However since it is property, how do you prevent it becoming part of your estate so it doesn’t become a burden to your heirs?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Instruct your personal representative to instruct a lawyer to advise the TS that you are deceased and no heir is accepting a negatively valuable property. DO NOT authorize paying anything ongoing. Obviously it's better if it's only titled in your name than jointly where it would just revert to whomever else is on the title.

Jim

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I believe if it’s paid for. Then whoever stands to inherit it has the option to take it or leave it

If not paid. Then I believe the TS company can get their money out if the estate

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Leave instructions in your will to gift it to your favorite charity.....
You could just leave a flaming bag of dog doodoo on their doorstep -- I think they would prefer that over a liability that they don't want and can't sell... ;)

Kurt

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I am not giving legal advice. If the Estate is going to Probate and has other assets. Then the Estate should continue making payments and MF's. Make sure there is a publication of the probate which includes direction for all creditors to file their claim with probate. Do not send anything directly to the timeshare. Have each taker file a disclaimer with the Probate Court for the timeshare. Then close the probate as soon as possible after the time for creditors to file claims has expired. In all likelihood the timeshare company is not reading all the published legal notices around the country. The closing of probate should cut off future valid claims by the timeshare against the estate or heirs.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
We have 7 kids. Blended family
All are gone except one son and he is way ahead of the curve. Started college at 14 ( had to convince the school he could do it and he’s actually tutoring the 22 YO kids )

But he. Of all the kids has said many times he wants our TS
He’ll probably have no problem affording it. But need to make sure he knows the long term commitment

That said. We have taken remarkable vacations and he sees that

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
How about a Beneficiary Deed back to the resort's association or timeshare corporation, whichever is in control?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Our wills say that, if all beneficiaries disclaim a TS, the executor shall dispose of it by sale, gift, deed to management, or abandon it and suffer a foreclosure, at his or her absolute discretion.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
How about a Beneficiary Deed back to the resort's association or timeshare corporation, whichever is in control?

Under the assumption that there is no original thought, although I cannot find anyone/any place suggesting a Beneficiary Deed back to the association, here's an article regarding timeshares that mentions BD:

As a real estate interest, no matter the value, some form of a probate proceeding is typically required at death if the property is not in a revocable trust or the subject of some other deeded mechanism to avoid probate, such as right of survivorship or beneficiary deed.

http://bogutzandgordon.com/what-to-do-with-a-timeshare-some-options/

- - - - -
Oh, look, it does exist:

Since there are so many timeshare-deeded properties in the state of Missouri, the state solved the problem by making available a Timeshare Beneficiary Deed which avoids probate for timeshare owners.

http://www.timesharefun.com/what-is-a-timeshare-beneficiary-deed/

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
It occurs to me that in these discussions regarding inheriting a timeshare, there is a general assumption that it is an obligation, not a benefit, and is unwanted, so the preponderance of the advice is how not to inherit it.

I'm saying that as opposed to advice given to people who come here trying to find out how to get rid of an unwanted timeshare, and a good portion of the advice is on how to use it better, probably because trying to get rid of a timeshare is so problematic for the actual owner.

I guess the difference might be that in the case of inheriting a timeshare, the person never had a desire for it, and in the case of trying to get rid of one, the person did have a desire for it, or at least what they perceived it would be, at one time.

I'm trying to say this right, which I don't always do, but in one case it is almost always perceived as an obligation and in the other it is almost always perceived as something of benefit, when, in fact, for the person seeking advice, in both cases it is something they see only as an obligation and they came here to get advice on how to get rid of it.

Or, in one case the person has a legal right to not accept it and in the other the person has a legal responsibility to be stuck with it. But, still, in both cases, for the person seeking advice, it is seen as an obligation, not a benefit.

Last edited:

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Also

Many here try and show ways to get a resale for cheap and use it

Wouldn’t inheriting it be free?
If there’s a balance owed. Isn’t that paid off from the estate? And then be free to the kids again?

As mentioned. If they don’t know how to use it then there’s way less value

Some who do use theirs still don’t to the full and even then the value may be hard to see

I’ve purchased some from the resort and when they start telling me what an investment it is I stop them and tell them it’s not an investment. It a screw job at the minimum but it allows me a certain level of vacations and we pouchased from the resort to allow what we had to be pooled in the mix

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score

True, but like many here on TUG try to tell newcomers here who are considering taking on a "free" timeshare, one should do his homework and research regarding his travel needs, circumstances, and preferences before taking on ownership of a timeshare regardless of how much it costs. The cost of acquiring a TS is not as important a factor as maintaining it. You have to factor in the annual MFs, possible special assessments, and the peripheral costs of traveling.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Under the assumption that there is no original thought, although I cannot find anyone/any place suggesting a Beneficiary Deed back to the association, here's an article regarding timeshares that mentions BD:

As a real estate interest, no matter the value, some form of a probate proceeding is typically required at death if the property is not in a revocable trust or the subject of some other deeded mechanism to avoid probate, such as right of survivorship or beneficiary deed.

http://bogutzandgordon.com/what-to-do-with-a-timeshare-some-options/

- - - - -
Oh, look, it does exist:

Since there are so many timeshare-deeded properties in the state of Missouri, the state solved the problem by making available a Timeshare Beneficiary Deed which avoids probate for timeshare owners.

http://www.timesharefun.com/what-is-a-timeshare-beneficiary-deed/

I think it can be explained this way. A timeshare is a very specific benefit to a very specific group of people. The two I own and consider a benefit would not be a benefit to very many people out there. If you change that universe of possible benefit to my kids age group it is rarer still. I have seen many here who as they aged out transferred their timeshares to their kids who were thrilled to keep this asset in the family. The key is to have a frank talk with the kids about what they are getting into and whether they would rather abandon it.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
You have to factor in the annual MFs, possible special assessments, and the peripheral costs of traveling.

and the forever aspect

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
A timeshare is a very specific benefit to a very specific group of people.

& it is a natural course of events that even within that very specific group of people, a timeshare ceases being a benefit

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
& it is a natural course of events that even within that very specific group of people, a timeshare ceases being a benefit

I will have no use for my timeshare after I die.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also

Many here try and show ways to get a resale for cheap and use it

If there’s a balance owed. Isn’t that paid off from the estate? And then be free to the kids again?

As mentioned. If they don’t know how to use it then there’s way less value

Some who do use theirs still don’t to the full and even then the value may be hard to see

I’ve purchased some from the resort and when they start telling me what an investment it is I stop them and tell them it’s not an investment. It a screw job at the minimum but it allows me a certain level of vacations and we pouchased from the resort to allow what we had to be pooled in the mix

The TS would be free to the heirs. But there are some timeshares that are worth less than zero, especially to someone who isn't knowledgeable about them.

Of course, if it is one of the timeshares that have value (a hotel brand week on Maui, etc) the estate could just sell it if the heirs don't want it.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Yes, that is one of the natural occurrences for even the most devoted timeshare lover. Amazingly, it does not end your timeshare obligation.

:eek:

die

get divorced

get married

have kids

have kids leaving home

loose your job

get a different job

get too old to travel

Change your lifestyle

Change your habits

All add up to reasons people want to get rid of their timeshare, in addition to fees.

What were we talking about?

:D

I will have no use for my timeshare after I die.