• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Potential new owner - questions!!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
If they don't get back to me, where should I send it....the address in our contract or the address in the documents overview/rescinding information?

I'll send a letter to both if I have to
I would go with the address in the rescinding information, but if it will make you feel better send it to both. Just be sure to get a receipt from the post office showing the date you mailed it. That is the key. It's the date you mail it, not the date they receive it, that proves you rescinded within the 10-day rescission period.

Caperguy

Reaction score
This is a bad-deal. Stop talking to the sales-peep. They will mess you up, intentionally.

Send your rescission notice in the manner and to the address stated in the contract...
EXACTLY as stated. If it says "mail," do not fax, text, e-mail, twit, or fed-ex.

The contract states purchaser shall notify seller "in writing" and is effective as of the "date sent". I will notify them by fax that the official request is coming by mail.
Make sense?

Caperguy

Reaction score
I would go with the address in the rescinding information, but if it will make you feel better send it to both. Just be sure to get a receipt from the post office showing the date you mailed it. That is the key. It's the date you mail it, not the date they receive it, that proves you rescinded within the 10-day rescission period.

awesome...will do

Caperguy

Reaction score
Quality Assurance Manager said my e-mail and fax were sufficient to cancel. I'm still leery because of the Las Vegas reference in the documents. I may still send the request by registered mail to Orlando and LV.

And she said because we're in Canada, we don't have to send everything back (to save us the cost). Nice couple of people we dealt with down there (Parc Soleil).

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Quality Assurance Manager said my e-mail and fax were sufficient to cancel. I'm still leery because of the Las Vegas reference in the documents. I may still send the request by registered mail to Orlando and LV.

And she said because we're in Canada, we don't have to send everything back (to save us the cost). Nice couple of people we dealt with down there (Parc Soleil).

This raises an interesting question...

The advice offered here on TUG is almost always, "Rescind in writing, certified mail, no fax or email, etc, etc" Obviously, that is the result of rescissions being denied by developers for not following the instructions exactly, to the letter. I could see that could be a loophole that some of the less ethical developers might use to nullify rescissions; but has this ever been a serious issue with the more ethical developers like Hilton, Marriott, etc.? Has anyone ever had a recession denied by Hilton/Marriott/etc. because they faxed the request instead of mailed, followed up by phone/email, etc and made an obvious good faith attempt to cancel?

I agree it makes sense to do exactly as written to be sure, but in practice, is that really a problem with the big, well-known brands as long as a reasonable attempt is being made to notify of the cancellation?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Quality Assurance Manager said my e-mail and fax were sufficient to cancel.

I agree it makes sense to do exactly as written to be sure, but in practice, is that really a problem with the big, well-known brands as long as a reasonable attempt is being made to notify of the cancellation?

I don't recall anyone reporting that their rescission notification was denied by the "big, well-known brands" but I'd hate for the OP to be the first. If one follows the instructions in the contract exactly as stated, there won't be an issue.

MelanieB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you are in Canada and would have to fly to all the Hiltons, I don't think you should buy Hilton. I think you'd be happier with a different system that had more locations closer to you.

Maybe, but not necessarily. I am in Canada, I own Hilton, and it suits my family's needs well. There are some drivable locations near us available through Club Intrawest and RCI, but mostly we do fly. Much of our desire to travel is for a winter escape, and we'd be flying for that anyway, timeshare or otherwise. I like the flexibility of the Hilton system, since we don't always stay in the same place. Over the past few years we've stayed in Hilton managed properties, Club Intrawest and RCI trades, all on our small 4800 annual point contract.

Also keep in mind that "Canada" is a big place, and in many areas the drivable timeshare options would be few to none in any system. Most of the timeshares that do exist here are concentrated in the Western Mountains, or "cottage country" in Central Ontario. Depending on the OPs precise location and vacation preferences, those might or might not suit. Just depends on what he is looking for; the key is to do the research and be sure he knows what they are getting into.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Is that really a problem with the big, well-known brands as long as a reasonable attempt is being made to notify of the cancellation?

Not that I seen on TUG (since 2007).
Given their volume of sales and clientele, I doubt they care to ruffle feathers.
However, you should still show that you can read and follow directions, like an 5th grader.

Last edited:

Caperguy

Reaction score
Maybe, but not necessarily. I am in Canada, I own Hilton, and it suits my family's needs well. There are some drivable locations near us available through Club Intrawest and RCI, but mostly we do fly. Much of our desire to travel is for a winter escape, and we'd be flying for that anyway, timeshare or otherwise. I like the flexibility of the Hilton system, since we don't always stay in the same place. Over the past few years we've stayed in Hilton managed properties, Club Intrawest and RCI trades, all on our small 4800 annual point contract.

Also keep in mind that "Canada" is a big place, and in many areas the drivable timeshare options would be few to none in any system. Most of the timeshares that do exist here are concentrated in the Western Mountains, or "cottage country" in Central Ontario. Depending on the OPs precise location and vacation preferences, those might or might not suit. Just depends on what he is looking for; the key is to do the research and be sure he knows what they are getting into.

I agree with you that we liked the idea of staying in various places, having some flexibility and knowing the quality of the rooms would be there (not have to go searching for what we hoped to be quality, sufficient rooms in who-knows-where). That being said, we are in Nova Scotia, so only one affiliated location is within driving distance. However, if we get a resale timeshare, similar to your size, for a reasonable cost (not the $17k they were talking about), then paying for plane tickets every 2-3 years doesn't seem so bad, since your hotel is already paid for! (I know, except yearly maint fees/tax).

We have two kids, and there are locations that are quite intriguing near Orlando and California. We'll do our research now, as we are quite interested in this concept. Now just have to find the right fit.

We really thank you all for saving us from buying retail and taking on that debt. We're never impulse buyers, but almost caught this one too late.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
This raises an interesting question...

The advice offered here on TUG is almost always, "Rescind in writing, certified mail, no fax or email, etc, etc" Obviously, that is the result of rescissions being denied by developers for not following the instructions exactly, to the letter. I could see that could be a loophole that some of the less ethical developers might use to nullify rescissions; but has this ever been a serious issue with the more ethical developers like Hilton, Marriott, etc.? Has anyone ever had a recession denied by Hilton/Marriott/etc. because they faxed the request instead of mailed, followed up by phone/email, etc and made an obvious good faith attempt to cancel?

I think you raise a valid point about legitimate developers with good reputations, but here is my counter: Even if they say a fax and email is sufficient and mean it, how much harm is there in protecting your interests by sending a certified letter with return receipt in addition to the methods the nice sales people told you would suffice?

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I think you raise a valid point about legitimate developers with good reputations, but here is my counter: Even if they say a fax and email is sufficient and mean it, how much harm is there in protecting your interests by sending a certified letter with return receipt in addition to the methods the nice sales people told you would suffice?

Absolutely. As I said in my last sentence in my previous post, sending the notification exactly as prescribed is certainly the best path. I wasn't trying to say a buyer should not do exactly as the instructions say. Better to be safe. I was just questioning whether respectable companies like Hilton and Marriott with brands and reputations to protect would, in practice, actually try to use a technicality to invalidate a legitimate rescission.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. As I said in my last sentence in my previous post, sending the notification exactly as prescribed is certainly the best path. I wasn't trying to say a buyer should not do exactly as the instructions say. Better to be safe. I was just questioning whether respectable companies like Hilton and Marriott with brands and reputations to protect would, in practice, actually try to use a technicality to invalidate a legitimate rescission.

I personally think they would have more to lose in goodwill than they would gain by screwing over individual rescinders. I wish all developers could see that.

x.david.you

Reaction score
To answer your question, yes, you can get an every other contract resale for less than 2,000. In fact, I purchased 4800 points last year from one of the suggested brokers for $1,000. I am so happy with my purchase; I love the flexibility of program and locations. Also, I haven't heard of losing a deposit when you rescind. Like others have said, rescind as soon as you can and do your family a favor and buy resale.

Hi may I know how you purchased your 4800 DC points just for $1000? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk