• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Posts Not Finalizing

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Has anyone else noticed this? I see a few duplicate posts in some of the threads, so perhaps others are. When I reply to a post I get the three orange little bars in the upper right that makes it look like the post is being saved but it never finishes. If I click refresh, my post was posted. Clicking the "Post Reply" button again likely results in the duplicate post because someone gets tired of waiting thinking something is wrong and clicks that button again.

ETA: Okay it happened with this new thread too. It looks like the post never finished saving and didn't take me back to the forum to see my new thread. However when I went back to the forum, my thread was there.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Adding that it doesn't look like the problem is happening when starting a new Conversation.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have experienced this. Kinda aggravating to go back, see a duplicate post to [edit-delete]. I just figured that the posting gremlins saw multiple simultaneous posts and couldn't decide which to post first.
Who knows?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I have experienced this. Kinda aggravating to go back, see a duplicate post to [edit-delete]. I just figured that the posting gremlins saw multiple simultaneous posts and couldn't decide which to post first.
Who knows?
I think what is happening is people are thinking the post isn't saving and then click the post reply button again and it causes the double post. There was even a quadruplicate post in a thread.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Yes, I had that happen when I made my post (question) in the HVCG section. After I hit post, it looked like it was taking a long time to post the thread, then I got the original page without my post. So I redid it -then hit post and same thing happened. I started to post it a 3rd time (luckily I had copied the original question while waiting for it to post), and then the first 2 appeared. :crash:

~Diane

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
do you mean the little 3 boxes at the top blinking? ive encountered that from time to time myself. im not sure what causes it as there is nothing specific in the logs...but I have found that simply hitting refresh displays the new post just fine! I can only guess that it happens when more than one person is editing or posting on a single thread etc...we now average more than 1000 concurrent users at pretty much any time 24 hours a day! (nearly 1600 as i type this)

on a side note, we do plan on upgrading the server that hosts the forums to a much more robust platform later this month, with resources for the new server being almost 10x what we run now. not that the current platform is struggling to keep up, but doubling the processing cores, ram, and disc space should keep things humming along nicely for years to come!

the only thing this server does at this point is host this forum (and the static pages on tug2.net)...though its pretty incredible that the xenforo database has surpassed 25gb in size and grows each and every month!

with the new server we will have more ram than the database size itself, and that should make everything much more efficient across the board!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
do you mean the little 3 boxes at the top blinking? ive encountered that from time to time myself.
Yes, that is what I was referring to. That along with the orange line that seems to move left to right as a post is saving. I noticed this delay a lot more this morning and a lot of double posting because of it. It seems to be remedied now. Perhaps it was due to a lot of people coming on to checkout the news about HGV and Bluegreen?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
my best guess without anything showing up in the logs....i can only imagine its some sort of table lock or similar when two users are trying to update/post on the same thread etc.

2300 current users now....this merger is big news today!

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Yes, that is what I was referring to. That along with the orange line that seems to move left to right as a post is saving. I noticed this delay a lot more this morning and a lot of double posting because of it. It seems to be remedied now. Perhaps it was due to a lot of people coming on to checkout the news about HGV and Bluegreen?

This is the first time I have experienced the long delay. I was posting to sightings this morning and almost hit the button again, but forced myself to wait it out. It did eventually post.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
FYI if you're trying to keep track for technical reasons: the same thing started happening with the Marriott MF's sticky thread while I was updating the links in the first post. The first 12 or so were no problem, the last few I gave them a few seconds before closing it out but found they posted when I opened it back up again. :)

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
It has happened to me in the past and seems to me like it is getting worse. Today, it happened when I posted to a thread and happened again when I edited that post.

When it happens to me, and I see those orange bars, I give it a few more seconds. I’ll copy what I wrote just in case and then hit the back button. When I go back into it has been posted.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
can just hit refresh after a few seconds to view the post, especially if its just a simple reply (vs an attachment or link)

began the process to install the new server today actually!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
not sure if its just a traffic issue or what, but the server is most certainly hitting its limits more frequently now (including just a few minutes ago).

thankfully the new server is up and running and is in testing at the moment, so perhaps it wont be too much longer until we have a permanent solution...though im frustrated that noone can seem to point to why this is happening with the current server all of the sudden.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Testing went well tonight, few odd errors here and there with the forum that can hopefully get sorted out....but the more depressing news is that the "sync" of the live server to the new server took 9 hours, with the vast bulk of that being the xenforo folder and mysql database.

while the final "sync" only copies whats changed, the nature of the forum and the database make it so that its going to copy all that over again in full and unfortunately is expected to likely take a very similar time to process during the final sync, and during that time the live server will be offline (or paused so to speak, so no new data can be written).

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
wont kick off till 5am or so next wed morning, but yea the sites will be taken offline until its complete.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
wont kick off till 5am or so next wed morning, but yea the sites will be taken offline until its complete.
How will we all go without the TUGBBS for 9 hours??? :bawl:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
fingers crossed its only about half that time!

tug2.com will be online the entire time (its a totally separate server)...can submit reviews or photos! =D

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's going to take a long time for my fingers to not automatically type Twitter, same way I still think Bank of Boston when I mean Bank of America.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, strange, this morning the website went down for about ten (10) minutes and came back on.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
didnt have any reported outages or errors in the log that I notice?

if it was around 2 or 3am, that is when the nightly backups run however. though that wouldnt shut the site down.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
tentatively scheduled for tonight, and wow, just saw nearly 4000 active users! looks like this upgrade comes at a perfect time!