• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Post-Lockdown Timesharing Improvements?

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Now that we're finally getting a bit of good news in the battle against the Wuhan Coronavirus, it's time to start thinking about how to reopen the economy. Obviously we can't stay shut down forever, however, we can't just get back to normal on government command either since many customers will continue to avoid businesses that they aren't comfortable interacting with. This is especially a problem for timesharing since the customers share living quarters with others serially and common amenities with others concurrently. What are some changes timeshare resorts can make to mitigate the risks to employees, owners, exchangers and renters going forward?

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Radio silence. Well, how about this? Bronze Season in Hilton Head is typically slow. Maybe change things up a bit by designating it Senior Season, only those 65+ can occupy a timeshare unit. All persons have their temperature taken at check in, those with a fever are denied occupancy. Social distancing is enforced at the pools and the common areas.

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
First off, I love Toronto. What a beautiful city to visit!

Second, perhaps we are too stunned to think much about what lies beyond the next few weeks. My husband and I talked about what happens when "stay at home" is lifted. People will certainly go back to work but will kiddos go back to school? Our order extends to May 4 in NH. At that point, we are better off staying with remote education for the few weeks of school left. But, honestly, that's as far as our discussion went. We actually have reservations in June and September but I can't even think that far out. Maybe many folks are like me and can't even imagine the "after" just yet.

Stay safe and well.

Best,
Judi

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't see an advantage to limiting a Bronze season to Seniors Only. Seniors as as likely -- or more likely -- than other groups to catch the Covid-19 virus. So, keeping out other age groups won't protect them.

All sorts of things may change with the novel coronavirus -- better testing, possible medications that work against it, serology testing to see who is recovered and now immune, and eventually a vaccine (two vaccines are in safety testing right now.) Those are the sort of techonologies that will eventually help, but I don't know how long it will take.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
One of my timeshares that is still opened has reduced the stay to 6 nights so ample time can be given to deep clean each unit. Plus more attention will need to be given in wiping down shared areas. Providing wipes and hand disinfectant might become common in lobbies. It will be like anywhere else, those who decide to use their timeshares will need to continue being aware of their surrounding, distancing and following recommended guidelines.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Tradewinds is spending the down time getting their staff to further their dive certifications.
And the base in Tonga is working on gardening and sprucing up.

Some of the staff of the dive shops on Bonaire are out battling and cleaning up the sargassum seaweed.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
The big advantage timesharing has over other forms of lodging in the world of coronavirus is the ownership. Hilton Hotels may have to go into bankruptcy if customers are not allowed to stay there or choose not to. As long as the owners pay their maintenance fees timeshares can stay financially viable. Perhaps owning a timeshare as a trader or renter will not be viable going forward if the value is in owners using their own property. Look at all the TUG threads on renting disputes and issues since the arrival of the coronavirus. As a timeshare owner do you really want to be a hotel for a bunch of jumpy, needy tenants? Are there things that timeshare management can do to reassure nervous renters and exchangers?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village at Weston
Now that we're finally getting a bit of good news in the battle against the Wuhan Coronavirus, it's time to start thinking about how to reopen the economy. Obviously we can't stay shut down forever, however, we can't just get back to normal on government command either since many customers will continue to avoid businesses that they aren't comfortable interacting with. This is especially a problem for timesharing since the customers share living quarters with others serially and common amenities with others concurrently. What are some changes timeshare resorts can make to mitigate the risks to employees, owners, exchangers and renters going forward?

A bit of good news? Where?

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Less renters and people staying at home means better availability for me.

I can see letting a unit sit empty for 24 hours before next check in. I hate waiting all afternoon to get the rooms cleaned anyway. Everyone must be out of room at noon on day 6 and next occupant can check in at noon next day. I See that as a short term fix.

Long term we will always have virus and other disease to deal with so stay healthy , eat better , get more exercise, and if your immune system is compromised stay home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Shouldn't timeshares already be doing some of these things?
  • Online check-in and checkout
  • Amenity reservation windows, e.g. hot tub
  • Limit rentals to HOA-approved agent