• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Post 6/10 Resale Week Owners - Enrolling - Yes or N

Are you enrolling Weeks per the Promotion announced Aug '15?

• Total voters

rpw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ko Olina, Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
I voted no

Truth is I have 2 Hawaii properties and probably would be a likely candidate for this. BUT we always use, rarely lockoff, and on the odd occasion we travel to other places Interval Getaways has always come down cheaper than renting a hotel in the area. I don't need more maintenance fees when getaways can be gotten relatively cheap.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I certainly am not trying to change your mind, but I did want to say that I feel the DC program is MOST valuable for those who like to travel in the off season to resorts they do not own (like my wife and I do).

I appreciate the info. It is always great to hear from people who have learned to maximize the benefits of the program.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
Not me. I'd rather take that money and buy more resales.

CA Richard

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we took advantage of the promotion.

I too voted "Other". I don't have a post-2010 week to enroll, but if I did, I'm pretty sure I would do it. It's the cheapest way I've seen to get a bunch of points.

I certainly am not trying to change your mind, but I did want to say that I feel the DC program is MOST valuable for those who like to travel in the off season to resorts they do not own (like my wife and I do).

I know I am in the minority here, but we did take advantage of the promotion. A couple of the previous posts above give some hints as to why. We started down the Marriott path about 11 years ago with two developer purchases before finding TUG. Then we added three resales. We enrolled everything in 2010 and found we loved destination points. As BocaBoy indicated, it's perfect for those who can travel off-season. We can travel off-season and it is our preference to avoid the summer and holiday crowds. We are within driving distance of multiple resorts and can take advantage of off-season, short stays, adding a couple days to a week, Sunday thru Friday stays when the points are lower, booking inside 60 days for the point discount, etc. We used to go to Ko Olina for two weeks, staying in the lockoff the first week and the one bedroom the second week. Now one of the coolest things we can do is select points instead, throw a few extra points at it, and stay in a one bedroom unit for the entire two weeks. That one thing made enrolling in the destinations program in 2010 worth it. For the last few years, we found that we have selected points for all our units and booked everything using destinations points, staying in many places we do not own. I realize that this may not work for many or even most people, but the flexibility is amazing. It suits us perfectly and with a little planning we get great value for every point we use and occasionally enjoy "splurging" for something a little nicer by using some extra points.

We would have liked to add additional trust points, but as everyone has pointed out, even buying trust points resale is expensive with the additional fees. So instead we added two more unit resales after 2010 to use in addition to our points reservations, and I had begun to look into the possibility of "renting" some additional points when we need them.

Then this promotion came along. As JIMinNC indicated, "It's the cheapest way I've seen to get a bunch of points". We purchaed 3500 points with the 20% off option (10.12/point, no additional incentives), which enrolled our two post-2010 resale units. Since I paid next to nothing for those last two resale units, I was able to add 8,600 points a year to our ownership for about $4 per point. This gives us Chairmans Club status and should keep us there (or whatever the top level is called in the future) for a very long time.

Again, I know this is not for everyone and certainly recognize the value of all the other alternatives people have mentioned here, such as buying resale at resorts you will always use and trading thru II. But for us and how we use our ownership, this was the perfect opportunity to expand our ownership. Since we are just a couple years away from retirement, we will make great use of it.

mclyne

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are not enrolling our weeks. Of our 5 platinum weeks, one was purchased through developer, and the other 4 are resale. Of the resale, 2 were purchased prior to 2010. At this time, enrollment is too costly and I wonder why Marriott set a cut-off of 2010.

Does anyone know why 2010 was designated as the cut-off point and not open to any purchases before that date

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
We are not enrolling our weeks. Of our 5 platinum weeks, one was purchased through developer, and the other 4 are resale. Of the resale, 2 were purchased prior to 2010. At this time, enrollment is too costly and I wonder why Marriott set a cut-off of 2010.

Does anyone know why 2010 was designated as the cut-off point and not open to any purchases before that date

Any Weeks purchased prior to 6/2010 are and have always been eligible for enrollment. This promotion is for Weeks that haven't been "officially" eligible until now (and presumably won't be eligible when this promotion ends?)

Prior to this promotion they waived the enrollment fee for eligible Weeks when Trust Points were purchased direct or a bundle package (Week plus an equal amount of DC Trust Points) was purchased from Resales Operations. If you're taking advantage of this promotion in order to enroll your post-2010 Weeks you could ask if they'll waive the fee to enroll your pre-2010 Weeks simultaneously.

mclyne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. We will wait and see if Marriott can come up with a better offer than is currently being offered.

chrono88

TUG Member
Reaction score
We ultimately decided, after much deliberation, not to enroll. We agree with many of the other folks -- we would get more value in just purchasing additional resale weeks.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
For that price, I am diversifying my portfolio to more upscale and versatile points club on resale. Gives me access to wider range of locations and properties. There is competition, you know...Marriott needs to know that.