• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pompano/Ft Lauderdale Vacation

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
We are scheduled for 12/27 - 1/3 and it's been years since I've been in that area of Florida for a week. We're thinking about doing the day trip to Grand Bahama with Discovery Cruises. Has anyone done that . . . are do you have any comments or recommendations?

Also we're considering doing the Jungle Queen dinner cruise but was wondering about how chilly it might be at that time of the year. Is the dining area enclosed and weather-proof?

Any other suggestions for things to do in the area? We both want to go to the Everglades again, so that will probably be one of our day trips.

Input and suggestions are much appreciated!

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We weren't that ambitious, but we were in the area recently.

If you're looking for simple nighttime entertainment, at the top end of Ft. Lauderdale just south of the Pompano line, there's a Greek restaurant, Athena, at the corner of (East) Commercial Blvd and A1A (Ocean Blvd). Drive by and see if there's a live band playing outdoors: when we were there they had half the street roped off and a good 5-piece rock/oldies band playing beside outdoor tables, where we enjoyed a plate of Greek appetizers and beers. [The food is ordinary quality so I wouldn't make the effort without the music. There's also a candy/icecream store next door that also faces the band so you can stand and linger if you don't want the Athena's fare.]

The music and outdoor seating setup is where you see angle parking on the north side of E. Commercial Blvd in this Google Maps view:
http://tinyurl.com/6an4bh

Hophop4

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV/Silverleaf Owners-Holiday Hills, Branson; Seaside, Galveston;
Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, PCB, FL
We have done both.

We took the day cruise, but stayed 3 nights on the island. The cruise leaves early in the morning serving breakfast and returns leaving around 4 pm from the island and serving dinner. They have entertainment shows/games like newlywed game etc. Be sure to take a sweater/jacket, it was cool on the ship.

The Jungle Queen is a nice trip down the waterway to a secluded island where they feed you a bbq dinner and a show. The dining area is a large building enclosed with long tables in a row many rows. Think there were maybe 20 or so people per table. After the dinner, everyone goes outside to the outdoor theater where they put on a show. Seating is benches in a row outside.

Also have you check the Sticky link on the top of Florida Forum that KenK posted couple years ago...very informative!!

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Also we're considering doing the Jungle Queen dinner cruise but was wondering about how chilly it might be at that time of the year.

I always enjoyed the Jungle Queen. It's been very chilly down here the last few weeks. If it stays like this bring warm clothes! Check the 10 day before you come down.

Neesie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to like the Jungle Queen but now prefer the Water Bus (formerly known as the Water Taxi). They don't feed you on the Water Bus bus but you can get off and on as many times as you want and there are about 18 stops, several of them at bar/restaurants. The water bus has windows that you can close if you get chilly. Best of all you WILL get a window seat, not gauranteed on the Jungle Queen. The Jungle Queen has rows of seats and only the people on the end of the rows have an unobstructed view.

As far as the Disney Cruise, I don't get into Cruises. I'm someone who wants to go to the destination and BE THERE, and if you're on a cruise you're on the boat most of the time IMHO.

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also enjoy the water taxi when we are in the area. When we stayed at Weston, about a 20 minute drive from Ft. Lauderdale, we did the Holiday Park Airboat tour into the Everglades. We found it very enjoyable, informative and affordable.

Dori

shmuggee

Reaction score
Water Taxi

Pick it up at Oakland Park boul and the A1A - at the Shooters Bar. Great day (and evening) of fun.

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
We went on different routes on the Water Taxi and enjoyed it. You can or could take one to Miami but only on certain days.

We used the water taxi to get here and then went to the riverwalk area. Las Olas Blvd has shops and places to eat. http://www.lasolasboulevard.com/
http://www.goriverwalk.com

We ate here for our anniversary it's right on the waterway and was a Tug recommendation. http://www.ftlauderdaleriverhouse.com

Always wanting a bargain... the Sheraton concierge told us about Blue Moon Fish Company for lunch that on certain days entrees,desserts and wine are half price. It is closer to Lauderdale by the Sea maybe 10-15 minutes from Ft Lauderdale white table cloth dining . We really enjoyed it. It is just over a little bridge to the right with a small parking lot. But it's on the waterway and we dined outdoors to watch the boats. I would call to see if this is still the case. http://www.bluemoonfishco.com/

And there is a Galleria Mall with upscale places to eat that we drove by but did not have time to visit. http://www.galleriamall-fl.com/dining.php

Mega outlet- Sawgrass Mills Outlet Mall.
http://www.simon.com/mall/default.aspx?ID=1262

There is a flea market in the area that my aunt loves Swap Shop although I did not.

http://www.floridaswapshop.com/swap.html

I recall a sign for Outdoor World Bass Pro Shop in Dania and I think that town has antique shops.

We did the airboat ride at an alligator farm near Homestead on our way to the Keys and it was lots of fun. We stayed in Pompano on that trip.

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. We are looking forward to the trip . . . only hoping the weather warms up!!