• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Polo Towers- 2006 Main. Fees 13-Days Late & Being Charged $139.11!!!

JEFF H

Reaction score
cluemeister said:
This scenario then changes the due dates for maintenance fees based on the date of a sale transaction. If I was on this board, and I knew owners knew their bill amounts 12 months in advance, I would think it unfair to grant certain members a grace period based on when they sell or buy. This would also have an impact on cash flow to the tune of $100,000 - $200,000.

Thats Not the situation at all.
Maintenance fees and due dates are set by the homeowner Association CC&R's
The Homeowners association charges a Transfer fee and are obligated to update the records and send the Membership information as well as the maintenance fee bill to the New owners.
When they don't do this they must accept part of the responsibility for the late maintenance fee payment. Its only reasonable to expect them to waive the late fee in specific cases where they did not do there job in a timely matter.

JEFF H

Reaction score
timeos2 said:
The HOA operates the resort for the owners. They usually, but not always, hire a management firm for day to day operations which would include things like maintenance of the owners listing. I certainly agree that if it is taking 4 months to get a sale updated then that management is remiss and the HOA Board should do something about it. But the owners still owe the fees no matter how bad the management may be.

What a terrible image that conjures up.
The power struggle of the HOA board and the management company causing alot of stress and owners caught in the middle feeling the hard wrath from both sides.

cluemeister

TUG Member
Reaction score
JEFF H said:
IF it was a big problem for the resort I would recommend a new resort ownership transfer rule the requires the next years maintenance fee be paid inadvance on all 4th quarter closings to avoid this type of situation altogether.

Jeff,

I appreciate your position, but let's assume this rule was put in place, and I believe it would be put in place once grace periods were instituted. I will again go to my "what if" list.

What if a timeshare closing is scheduled, with the new owners taking ownership in December? I know as a buyer I wouldn't want to be told by a seller that I have to pay the mf's for a unit I don't own, and as a seller, I don't want to pay up to 90 days early based on a potential timeshare closing that may fall through.

What if a ts closing is delayed a few weeks, instead of September, it rolls into October? Now the mf is late, as the closing occurred in the last quarter. In effect, you are asking owners to predict the future. This means anyone with a timeshare for sale would have to pay their mf's 90 days in advance or possibly be in default.

What if a ts was for sale with no buyers for a year or so, and then someone came in and bought it right away in the fourth quarter?

In effect, all you've done is move the deadline. Now the HOA would be granting grace periods for payments not received by October 1st.

Again, I will state that the management company, while on the phone with a new owner asking about mf's, had a customer service obligation to urge her to not wait for the bill, but give her the exact amount and mailing address to send payment.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
cluemeister said:
Again, I will state that the management company, while on the phone with a new owner asking about mf's, had a customer service obligation to urge her to not wait for the bill, but give her the exact amount and mailing address to send payment.
Please note that the OP doesn't say anything about calling the resort until AFTER she got the bill with the late fee, etc. In fact the OP talks of hearing things on TUG that there were delays. That alone should have triggered a call to the resort that, done prior to 12/31, could have prevented the whole problem.

cluemeister

TUG Member
Reaction score
My mistake

timeos2 said:
Please note that the OP doesn't say anything about calling the resort until AFTER she got the bill with the late fee, etc. In fact the OP talks of hearing things on TUG that there were delays. That alone should have triggered a call to the resort that, done prior to 12/31, could have prevented the whole problem.

I absolutely stand corrected, thank you for pointing that out. I should have read the original post more clearly.

JEFF H

Reaction score
cluemeister said:
Jeff,

What if a ts closing is delayed a few weeks, instead of September, it rolls into October? Now the mf is late, as the closing occurred in the last quarter. In effect, you are asking owners to predict the future. This means anyone with a timeshare for sale would have to pay their mf's 90 days in advance or possibly be in default.

They would not be in default untill the maintenace fee was due.
The Resort would simply not accept 4 quarter transfers of ownership unless the maintenance fee was paid inadvance for the following year.
This would be handled thru Escrow just as maintenance fees and Transfer fees currently are.

cluemeister

TUG Member
Reaction score
That could work

Hey Jeff,

Your suggestion about mf's being due with any 4th quarter closings could work. Most ts owners wouldn't complain about that, because it only affects those that are selling. Most buyers wouldn't complain, as they would just think it's part of the process. Some buyers might complain that it adds an unfair early charge to their closing, but I think that would be minimal.

However, be aware that your solution means payment comes EARLIER to the HOA, not later. It also means that the original poster would have had to pay her assessments 2 months prior to the date of her receipt of a bill.

In principle, I still support one due date for all, regardless of closing date, mailing address, etc.

Last edited:

bingowingo

Reaction score
with regards to polo towers customer service, they really suck.

I can name names there wherein I was fed up(with regards to their homeowners association)...and almost wanted to throw back their ownership at them(if they had a deed in their clause wherein it says you can sell it to them again, i would gladly have done it a long time ago)....

I have decided to sell my timesharing with them, but I know that when you sell timesharing, it really depreciates, but better sell it than paying exorbitant fees...

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
bingowingo said:
I have decided to sell my timesharing with them, but I know that when you sell timesharing, it really depreciates, but better sell it than paying exorbitant fees...

But, if you purchase another timeshare of equal value on the resale market for the same price or less, have you really lost anything at the point? Perhaps if you sold the PT's unit and purchased something more expensive or did not purchase anything in return there would be a loss but, if it's replaced I feel it's more like a trade.

I have been considering this option of selling and repurchasing a different timeshare in a different location for the past year. I feel like it would be more of a trade (or exchange) than selling at a loss.