• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Points vs weeks

mianmike

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what benefit the weeks system has over the points system. I understand in the weeks system you may have a specific week or a floating week and room . . . and that may be comforting to some, but points seem to be the much more flexible. Or are weeks more flexible than I realize?:confused:

Question 1: If I were to purchase a week at at highly rated Marriott or DVC during a high value season, could I trade the high value week for two or three weeks at a lesser resort(s) and season?

Question 2: Looking at points . . . If I were to buy say 308,000 Wyndham biennial points, once given the points could I bank them and use them in any year (before they expire) or must I stick to the year the points were issued (even or odd years)?

Question 3: Is there a disadvantage to buying two biennial year points (one even and the other odd years)? Can I combine the even and odd year points after they are banked? Can I borrow the points from one another?

keepgoing

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had the same question a while back. And Tug forum gave me a great insight and answer to this big question. It is really depends on what your life style and need are. There is no one size fit all deal.

Generally if your vacation schedule is flexible, then goes for the points because they are flexible than week.

If your vacation schedule is rigid, like have little kids that only off a certain time every year, then points may not get you to those weeks that all the kids are off. For example:
1) I was looking for ski in ski out resort in during new year holiday. Buying points is not going to get me a week in a ski resort in Week 52 (New year holiday). I have to get that specific week in the resort I am looking for. And week 52 costs ten times more than the equivalent points to reserve that week in resale market, but I will never get that week with the points required in hand.

charford

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have any knowledge of the Wyndham system, so I can't help you there.

Marriott is not affiliated with a points system. There are rumors that they may set up their own system.

DVC is a pure points system. You can reserve as little as a studio for 1 night for around 11 points to a 3 bedroom Grand Villa (70+ points) for multiple nights. Points required for a stay and maintenance fees differ depending on the resort owned (maintenance fees) and the resort booked (points required). Mouseowners.com is a good place to learn about the DVC system.

Rules for borrowing depend on the system you are in. There are multiple point systems and several exchange companies. As a rule, the maintenance fees for a biennial week will be more than half that of an annual week, so if you are looking for something to use every year, I'd stick with annual.

Points are generally more versatile than weeks, but they require a little more advanced understanding of the system(s). Point systems can also change the rules on you with little or no warning. RCI points, for example, change the rules on points usage today which makes my points about 1/3 as valuable to me as they were yesterday.

mianmike

TUG Member
Reaction score
And week 52 costs ten times more than the equivalent points to reserve that week in resale market, but I will never get that week with the points required in hand.

Thanks. Good to know. That's quite a difference . . . we do have kids, but they will be leaving the nest in a few years.

Here in Arizona we have a school fall break. It's a great time to vacation. the crowds are less, the weather is usually nice and the hotel rates are good. I hope that seasonality translates over into timeshares. If not, a week system might be better. Decisions, decisions . . . :confused:

When in retirement (6 years away :D ) we will very flexible and points should do us well . . . assuming we have the point power to get the great vacation every once and in a while.

mianmike

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a rule, the maintenance fees for a biennial week will be more than half that of an annual week, so if you are looking for something to use every year, I'd stick with annual.

Thanks . . . that's exactly the information and advice I need to know.

RCI points, for example, change the rules on points usage today which makes my points about 1/3 as valuable to me as they were yesterday.

Yes, I read that. :( Thus my semi-trepidation of getting into a timeshare. The prices are right, but the economy is not . . . I guess you can't have both. With the economy such as it is . . . I wonder what other "new and improved" cost saving ventures may be on the horizon.

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question 1: If I were to purchase a week at at highly rated Marriott or DVC during a high value season, could I trade the high value week for two or three weeks at a lesser resort(s) and season?
While you still basically have a 1 for 1 exchange on your unit, if your unit is a lock-off, you might be able to deposit each side of the lock-off and get two weeks vacations. In addition, you may also get an AC (accomodation certificate) when you make your deposit which gives you an extra week as well.
Question 3: Is there a disadvantage to buying two biennial year points (one even and the other odd years)? Can I combine the even and odd year points after they are banked? Can I borrow the points from one another?
If you are talking about RCI Points, the big disadvantage of owning biennial years is that the points are allocated every other year and are only good for two years. If you own an annual unit, next years points can be borrowed. I'm not sure if you can borrow from a biennial unit where the allocation date is two years away. The points for each unit would be combined, so in the second year you will have the remainder of the first unit's points and all of the second unit's points. Depending on how you would want to use your points, you can determine how many points you need for each year.

IMO, if you are buying into an RCI Points TS for 60K to 70K points, you would probably use most of your using points for exchanges and not for airfare and other partners.

mianmike

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about RCI Points, the big disadvantage of owning biennial years is that the points are allocated every other year and are only good for two years. If you own an annual unit, next years points can be borrowed. I'm not sure if you can borrow from a biennial unit where the allocation date is two years away.

Given that, I'm thinking I'd be better off just buying into an annual points system and go from there. Thanks!

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given that, I'm thinking I'd be better off just buying into an annual points system and go from there. Thanks!

If you are using points just for exchanges, you may want to try the 3 year lease. After the 3 years, if you do not like the points system, you can just walk away and don't renew the contract.

mianmike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, will be researching that option . . . so much to learn . . . but having fun in the process!

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham FSP Points can be deposited into the RCI Weeks system, as an alternative to using them to reserve time in the Wyndham system.

There are some complications that I'll try to summarize here:

-- A Wyndham FSP points owner pays Wyndham dues every month, which makes Wyndham system reservations free, but if you use your points for an RCI Weeks exchange you do have to pay the RCI Weeks exchange fee in addition

--Wyndham FSP points generally have to be deposited as points, which means you don't have an actual week on deposit with RCI Weeks, which means you have to phone to find out what's available - - you can't search online on the recently improved RCI Weeks website the way people can who actually deposited a week (sometimes Wyndham will give you an actual week to deposit that can be searched online, but it's not the actual week you own and they'll often give you a dog trader or tell you they have no week at all to give you to deposit)

-- Wyndham FSP points deposited into RCI Weeks trade pretty well, depending on how many points you deposit (28,000 or 70,000 or 105,000 etc) but they're not the world's best and some exchanges are off limits to them

--a benefit to depositing Wyndham FSP Points into RCI Weeks is you get two years from the date of deposit to find something to trade for. So for example if I have some Wyndham FSP Points from calendar year 2008 that I haven't done anything with yet, they'll become worthless after 12/31/2008 except if I deposit them today (12/11/2008) that'll give me credit in RCI Weeks that I can use to make a reservation anytime between now and 12/31/2010

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham points converted to RCI Weeks exchanges are an addicting TS feature.

Buy 140,000 Wyndham points and deposit these possible combinations:
A: TWO 70,000 RED Studios ==> 2 weeks of vacationing
B: One 70,000 Red Studio
... one 42,000 Blue Studio
... One 28,000 White Studio ===> 3 week of vacationing
C: FIVE 28,000 Blue Studios =====> 5 weeks of vacationing

EVERY YEAR - YEAR IN and YEAR OUT

Ah, too much vacationing for the average mortal, not enough for the TS addict:D

mianmike

TUG Member
Reaction score
. . . which means you have to phone to find out what's available - - you can't search online on the recently improved RCI Weeks website the way people can who actually deposited a week (sometimes Wyndham will give you an actual week to deposit that can be searched online, but it's not the actual week you own and they'll often give you a dog trader or tell you they have no week at all to give you to deposit)

I don't care for that . . . not a deal breaker, but I wish they would enhance their internet reservation system. I love to plan for vacations using the internet. I need to have options. Seeing things in an online atmosphere makes it efficient, logical and most enjoyable. I hope RCI and Wyndham work out something for internet searches of banked Wyndham points(weeks).

Thanks for the information, most helpful!

mianmike

TUG Member
Reaction score

We'll do that while the kids still travel with us and go for a bigger TS. Maybe a one bedroom or two bedroom.

When the kids are gone and we're retired...We'll be traveling fools....Whoohoo!!!:banana:

beachlimey

Reaction score
Points versus weeks

Hi,
I have a Marriot week and i can trade it for points alternate years (in between i have to use the week) but there is no time limit for using the points and their value varies depending on the Marriot accomodation chosen. If i stay at a Marriot Hotel for 3 nights it will cost me more points than if i stay at a Fairfield Inn (part of the Marriot family). So i can decide how i want to spend them. I can also choose how many nights i want to stay so this is useful for overnight stops en route to vacation destination. I have found the points more useful since my travel plans are usually at short notice and you just have to phone the hotel to check for vacancies!

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
....If I stay at a Marriot Hotel for 3 nights it will cost me more points than if i stay at a Fairfield Inn (part of the Marriot family) ....... I have found the points more useful since my travel plans are usually at short notice and you just have to phone the hotel to check for vacancies!

IMO it sounds like in this case, a timeshare purchase may not have been the ideal option. Along those lines, maybe the timeshare season on HHI doesn't appeal at all to the owner for staying there at that time... :shrug:

lwilli6358

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really Good Info

B: One 70,000 Red Studio
... one 42,000 Blue Studio
... One 28,000 White Studio ===> 3 week of vacationing

Ah, too much vacationing for the average mortal, not enough for the TS addict:D

Thanks for the really great info...Did not know you could do this, wonderful.