• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

    Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

    Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

    Come check it out for a chance to win a Free TUG membership (or renewal) just for helping out!

    Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

    Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 60,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

    Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Point @ Poipu Annual Meeting


TUG Member
Jun 26, 2005
Reaction score
Burnsville, MN
The VOA/AOAO Annual Meeting was held yesterday at the Hyatt. Three new board members were elected, only one of which was a DRI employee.

For the most part the meetings went smoothly, but went a little long. There was only one presentation that was totally irrelevant and that was a thinly disguised sales and marketing pitch for THE Club at the VOA Meeting. Most of the attendees were deeded owners, there were just a handfull of Club Members. IMHO, a waste of owner's time.

Some interesting stats were that 63% of the owners are deeded, the remaining 37% are in some way shape or form controlled by DRI. The problem is of course that DRI votes as a block, so controls most everything.

The bulk of the AOAO Meeting was spent on the water intrusion briefing. There was nothing new; same brief that is on the website. There were some good questions about the type of contract, most of which were deflected by Ms. Riddle. The best dance performance was the answer to a question regarding any additional liabilites beyond the $65M. The correct answer was "Yes" there could be additional costs that would be picked up by the owners, including DRI. Instead we heard about the built in contingencies (10%) and how DRI was controlling inflation, pre-buying when possible, etc.

As I said her answer should have been, "Yes, there is always is that possiblity and here are the steps we have taken to lessen the risk......"

The meeting was run by Ms. Riddle and then taken over by Mr. Goeckel. Your Boards were allowed to call the meeting to order and to adjourn the meetings. Other than that, the Boards did not participate in either meeting.

One thing that struck me was that the organizational lines of who does what to whom are very blurry and I think that is left that way for a good reason; you don't know where to direct your question, nor make "suggestions for improvement.":rolleyes:

One thing that came out of the meeting was that if you are an owner you need to get on the HOA Website on a regular basis to see what has been posted. It was clear that DRI has no intent to send out "blasts" telling you, for instance, that the minutes of the last VOA meeting have been posted; it is up to you to find out.

It is still clear in my mind, that DRI still doesn't get it. They keep dwelling on how well they manage the resort, how thorough their contracting approach was, etc. That is not the issue; the issue is their "attitude" toward the deed owners. That question was brought up, but they moved on quickly. The conflicts will continue (COPP, lawsuits, etc.) until they reach out to the deeded owners.




TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Apr 22, 2011
Reaction score
Oakdale, MN
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Thanks for the info. I hope the 63% still holding deeds realize what a bad deal it would be to convert those deeds into club points.