• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

POA required from buyer?

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I am buying a week from alltimevacations, and they are requesting that we notarize a POA, as buyers. The reason being Paypal chargebacks - they say buyers have paid for properties, and after transfer, they disputed the payment with Paypal.

However, this POA has no end date and basically gives them power over the week forever and ever, and it makes me very uncomfortable.

I already sent payment for the purchase, but I am just not easy hearted to do this POA.

Has anyone purchased from them and signed a POA as buyer? What's my risk here? Thanks for any advice.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just PM'd you. Please, please don't give POA to anyone that you don't know personally. I was shocked enough to see them doing it to sellers, but doing it to buyers is really going too far.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I am buying a week from alltimevacations, and they are requesting that we notarize a POA, as buyers. The reason being Paypal chargebacks - they say buyers have paid for properties, and after transfer, they disputed the payment with Paypal.

Here's the thing about that, if you google all of their company names, you will soon find out why buyers have disputed their charges.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
instead of paypal, send a check, or wire the money. That should remove their objection....or just threaten to move on. I bet they drop the requirement then

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
I paid them by Paypal, since that's what they requested. I do have impeccable eBay record, and many large $ resales and rentals.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
I paid them by Paypal, since that's what they requested. I do have impeccable eBay record, and many large $ resales and rentals.

You have paid them. I would not recommend signing a POA for them under any conditions. If they are afraid of a charge back from Pay Pal then there may be a reason. If you have there request for the POA in writting and their reason for it, I would send copies to E-Bay.

Was the POA a requirement listed on E-Bay and term of the biding? If not, I would advise E-Bay of that also.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I've heard that some resellers are asking for POA's as a means to get their hands on HOA's.
If it isn't in a contract (or listing) as a condition of the sale, your only duty is for payment.

I'd tell 'em that you do not sign POA's to anyone, have no obligation to do so, that using paypal was their choice (not yours), and if they want better assurance that your payment will stay put, you'll be happy to send it in another form, upon refund of the first.

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
The POA requirement came after we sent payment, together with the contract. It is not mentioned in the eBay ad. I understand their concern, but so many other sellers face similar issues on eBay, and do not require buyer POA. My positive feeeback for buying timeshares should mean something. I truly believe they would not misuse the POA, but I am still umcomfortable signing any POA for anyone, especially someone I don't know.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
The POA requirement came after we sent payment, together with the contract. It is not mentioned in the eBay ad. I understand their concern, but so many other sellers face similar issues on eBay, and do not require buyer POA. My positive feeeback for buying timeshares should mean something. I truly believe they would not misuse the POA, but I am still umcomfortable signing any POA for anyone, especially someone I don't know.

From your post, you signed the contract and sent the payment as a upfront payment. If they do not deliver I would contact E-Bay, Pay Pal, the BBB, and the Attorney Generals Office in the state the Resort is located.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Sign the contract and send it back sans POA. No need for that and they can move on with the sale.

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's what I did, and they wrote back saying they need it. I wrote back again and politely declined the POA. I would love to buy the property, but if they will cancel because of the lack of POA, I can live without it.

Sign the contract and send it back sans POA. No need for that and they can move on with the sale.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That's what I did, and they wrote back saying they need it. I wrote back again and politely declined the POA. I would love to buy the property, but if they will cancel because of the lack of POA, I can live without it.

If they cancel the sale over it, I would definitely leave negative feedback on Ebay.

rrlongwell

Reaction score

I had a number of similar situation on a number of timeshares that were Resorts/Ownership sold to me. The BBB of Central Flordia etc. got successful results, if you want it go for it.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 worth...

With all due respect, your belief does not appear to be supported by any personal knowledge about (or experience with) this seller. Your good track record as a buyer is essentially irrelevant to their purposes.

I would overtly and categorically refuse to sign a PoA as a buyer under any circumstances. Period, amen.
In your case, it clearly was not a term or condition of the listing and the seller should not be unilaterally inserting such a requirement "after the fact".

I'd tell the seller to just do without the PoA or go pound sand and refund my money. YMMV.

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Theo, that's exactly what I did. Waiting for response, we'll see what happens. Thanks for the feedback :)

With all due respect, your belief does not appear to be supported by any personal knowledge about (or experience with) this seller. Your good track record as a buyer is essentially irrelevant to their purposes.

I would overtly and categorically refuse to sign a PoA as a buyer under any circumstances. Period, amen.
In your case, it clearly was not a term or condition of the listing and the seller should not be unilaterally inserting such a requirement "after the fact".

I'd tell the seller to just do without the PoA or go pound sand and refund my money. YMMV.

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, they said it's ok to move on without POA, relief sigh.

I will post a review on how the process went with this seller when done.

Reaction score
When my wife and I purchased our resale timeshare at Star Island, CJ Timeshares asked us to sign a POA, but for a different reason: to represent us at HomeOwners Association meetings. Since we live outside Orlando, we just threw that away, since we could go to a meeting at any time.

TS

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
When my wife and I purchased our resale timeshare at Star Island, CJ Timeshares asked us to sign a POA, but for a different reason: to represent us at HomeOwners Association meetings. Since we live outside Orlando, we just threw that away, since we could go to a meeting at any time.

TS

This type of POA is interesting. I wonder if they are just trying to get enough votes to try to pass amendments where the board will take back weeks. They would rather give the weeks back to the HOAs than bother to sell them for $1 on Ebay and incure the fees associated with it.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I would NEVER give a POA to anyone looking for an open ended right as that sounds like they want to take control of an Association or worse. If I REALLY wanted that ownership and they wouldn't complete the sale without it I'd word the POA to terminate 5 days after the deed is officially recorded. That would give them what they claim to "need" until your ownership was confirmed - then it expires. Beyond that they get nothing except my payment. it doesn't sound right in any case & you did the right thing to refuse to provide it.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had the same experience as you, but with a different eBay seller. I refused to sign the POA, and the sale went forward without any problems. Then I received an auto request for a POA after the sale closed, explaining how they wanted to protect my interests at the resort. That is just plain spooky. I wonder how many newbies sign, and what on earth they are doing with those POA's?

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another $0.02 worth...

<snip> I wonder how many newbies sign, and what on earth they are doing with those POA's?

My bet is that very few (...if any) resellers would ever forego a "bird in the hand" sale over this PoA issue. TUGGERS are surely more savvy and experienced regarding timeshare matters than the general population might be. The innocent and inexperienced likely do not even begin to understand the potential implications of relinquishing their owner representation rights / votes over to a third party; they may even believe (...quite incorrectly) that the PoA is just a standard and acceptable part of the transaction process. :shrug:

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is not a reputable seller anyway. Huge numbers of complaints. They recently used an alternative eBay account to relist a unit where the buyer left negative feedback because they refused to allow the buyer to use an independent escrow service. They want all the money up front and won't use an independent escrow.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not at all unusual...

...they refused to allow the buyer to use an independent escrow service. They want all the money up front and won't use an independent escrow.

This is standard operating procedure for most eBay megasellers, actually. In some instances the "closing company" and the "seller" are one and the same people, just "changing hats" for different parts of the transaction. In other instances, the seller and closing company are indeed different people, but with a "cozy or contractual agreement / arrangement" for closings (...no, I did not overtly use the word "kickback").

In any case, I'd venture to say that most eBay mega-sellers dictate and require using only their pre-identified and pre-determined closing entity. No news flash there at all, particularly since most of them make that fact abundantly clear within their listings anyhow.

Last edited: