• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please report any/all ghost inventory issues here...

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Since we've been seeing various ghost inventory issues occur, really since the rollout of the current website in May 2020 - I'm creating a dedicated thread for reporting of any ghost inventory related issues. Please use this thread to report any/all issues - whether at a specific resort - using a specific search engine (monthly availability calendar vs date range search engine, etc.). If you think an issue you're experiencing may be related to ghost inventory but you aren't sure - please also post your issue here and we will attempt to reproduce the reported issue and advise accordingly. Many thanks in advance for your cooperation and for taking the time to report ghost inventory issues here on TUG! :cool:

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
3br at seawatch, 3/4-18/23. Shows when you search only for 3rs, but, then you get 'something unexpected just happened' when you put in the dates.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
3br at seawatch, 3/4-18/23. Shows when you search only for 3rs, but, then you get 'something unexpected just happened' when you put in the dates.

Going through the Dashboard, the only results I get are 2BR Deluxe units in both the Towers and Villas. Same thing going through the calendar searching for All Suites. If I select 3BR, something unexpected happens.

The discounted points cost for two weeks in a 2BR in the tower is only 123,200 -- pretty good deal!

Last edited:

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I saw multiple at Bonnet Creek around 8am this morning. I called VC saw the same and said they'd put in a ticket. The 'ghosts' are gone now. I don't think it's and inventory or resort specific thing.. it's an issue with how the system works. After booking a reservation, it takes some time for the inventory to reflect properly. A search will continue to find a reservation, eventually it won't. I've book something and gone back to see if I could book it again - and I can't.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
Going through the Dashboard, the only results I get are 2BR Deluxe units in both the Towers and Villas. Same thing going through the calendar searching for All Suites. If I select 3BR, something unexpected happens.

The discounted points cost for two weeks in a 2BR in the tower is only 123,200 -- pretty good deal!

Is the room selection issue limited to the monthly availability calendar that you're referring to here? I've already repro'd this issue and have reported it to Wyndham in mid-December and the product team has submitted this as a defect to be fixed. I can repro this issue when selecting 3/4 bedrooms for room selections across multiple resorts when using the monthly availability calendar.

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links

My issue is with the Availability Calendar. When I select the 3br's, the 3br's are all lit up as available. Once I select them, I get the 'something unexpected happened'. I'm not looking at 2br's, only want the 3br.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
My issue is with the Availability Calendar. When I select the 3br's, the 3br's are all lit up as available. Once I select them, I get the 'something unexpected happened'. I'm not looking at 2br's, only want the 3br.

The issue occurs whenever selecting larger three or four bedroom suite selections - it's not actually registering the selection at all. This is easily determined by the fact that the calendar view doesn't change at all to reflect the larger suite selection. Currently it is not possible to selectively search for 3/4 bedroom units at all when using the monthly availability calendar, at least based upon my testing last month.

troy12n

Reaction score
I don't know if this is related or not, but a change in behavior I have noticed for about a month now is, say you see 2 available days on the availability calendar somewhere, you would be able to select the two days, and check out on the third. Now, more often than not, it does not let you select both days. And often results in a "something unexpected happened".

Now, I feel, in some of these instances, it may be that this is a scenario where there are just two different rooms, available only for one-night each, but the fact i've run into this so frequently lately, I feel something is wrong and worth of reporting.

I will post some instances as I discover them, I have not done much vacation planning lately as i've already encumbered most of my 2023 points already. But last time I looked, New Bern was completely unbookable.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I don't know if this is related or not, but a change in behavior I have noticed for about a month now is, say you see 2 available days on the availability calendar somewhere, you would be able to select the two days, and check out on the third. Now, more often than not, it does not let you select both days. And often results in a "something unexpected happened".

Now, I feel, in some of these instances, it may be that this is a scenario where there are just two different rooms, available only for one-night each, but the fact i've run into this so frequently lately, I feel something is wrong and worth of reporting.

I will post some instances as I discover them, I have not done much vacation planning lately as i've already encumbered most of my 2023 points already. But last time I looked, New Bern was completely unbookable.

And, New Bern being completely unbookable makes no sense!

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)

Not sure exactly what you're referring to with regard to the first point about seeing two available days, unless you're referring to using the monthly availability calendar and when you select the date in question - it doesn't allow you to select the second day at all - or you get the "something unexpected just happened" error. I've already reported both of these issues to Wyndham in mid- December for investigation as well. If this isn't what you're referring to, please provide the steps to reproduce the reported issue and I'll get the issue logged and reported.

New Bern - there's a larger issue in play that I cannot comment on - but this reported issue should resolve eventually.

troy12n

Reaction score
Yes, regarding that first issue, I book exclusively using the monthly calendar. I refuse to use the other mechanisms because they are awful.

Regarding resorts i've had issues with phantom UNavailability, it's been at resorts with lots of fixed weeks still. Places like Lake Lure, Sapphire Valley (both these resorts have CHRONIC issues, not just recently) and new bern.

But not always, like in August when none of the panhandle FL resorts showed any availablity from January through mid April. Seriously this website has become such a trainwreck

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
Yes, regarding that first issue, I book exclusively using the monthly calendar. I refuse to use the other mechanisms because they are awful.

Regarding resorts i've had issues with phantom UNavailability, it's been at resorts with lots of fixed weeks still. Places like Lake Lure, Sapphire Valley (both these resorts have CHRONIC issues, not just recently) and new bern.

But not always, like in August when none of the panhandle FL resorts showed any availablity from January through mid April. Seriously this website has become such a trainwreck

To be clear - the back end inventory management has nothing to do with the website itself. If Wyndham blocks out sections of inventory in their back end system - the website is simply displaying what it sees on the back end. This same thing would be happening with the old website in other words - the website isn't the issue for the blocked out inventory. Blocked out inventory is not ghost inventory - ghost inventory is inventory that appears as available - but when the owner attempts to actually create a reservation - the system either freezes (spinning blue circle of death) - or throws the "something unexpected just happened" error.

troy12n

Reaction score
Well that begs the question... why IS Wyndham "blocking inventory"? Especially inventory inside the standard reservation window. We all understand Wyndham can do whatever they want with inventory inside of 60 days, but between 2-10 months, this should be 100% available to us, unless there is a situation like scheduled renovations, emergency repairs or something like that.

The couple of instances I have provided definitely DO NOT fall into that category. So why is Wyndham doing this, and what is the accountability here when it happens? I'm not sure if this is something they can legally do, or at least do according to club rules...

To me, this is a bigger issue than Phantom inventory because it tends to make entire resorts unbookable for, in some cases extended periods of time... in the case of the Panhandle FL resorts, it was for a period of 3 months straight, in the middle of one of the biggest seasons...

schreff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KBV, Bali Hai, Wyndham Palm Aire, Bonnet Creek, Patriot's Place, Harbour, Sea Watch, etc.
Well that begs the question... why IS Wyndham "blocking inventory"? Especially inventory inside the standard reservation window. We all understand Wyndham can do whatever they want with inventory inside of 60 days, but between 2-10 months, this should be 100% available to us, unless there is a situation like scheduled renovations, emergency repairs or something like that.

The couple of instances I have provided definitely DO NOT fall into that category. So why is Wyndham doing this, and what is the accountability here when it happens? I'm not sure if this is something they can legally do, or at least do according to club rules...

To me, this is a bigger issue than Phantom inventory because it tends to make entire resorts unbookable for, in some cases extended periods of time... in the case of the Panhandle FL resorts, it was for a period of 3 months straight, in the middle of one of the biggest seasons...
Agree fully. Phantom inventory problems are minor compared to blocked inventory games in general. Any break in an accurate inventory chain results in either over or under booking which of course in unfair to owners along with adding to our maintenance fees. I have seen the over booking syndrome happen on numerous occasions.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)

For the examples you provided, exception being PCB, Wyndham either doesn't own the resorts at all, doesn't manage the resorts, or only owns/manages a small portion of the resorts in question - therefore Wyndham is subject to more constraints from the actual resort manager/owner that they have no control over. I've often noticed that the affiliate resorts like this have less overall availability for these reasons, especially when compared to Wyndham owned resorts (which Wyndham obviously also manages):

Sapphire Valley:

1673023888011.png

Fox Hunt at Sapphire Valley:

1673024054673.png

New Bern (Fairfield Harbor):

1673023953629.png

Lake Lure (Fairfield Mountains):

1673024121673.png

Attachments

• 1673023908661.png
    1673023908661.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 4

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
the affiliate resorts like this
Just to clarify, in Wyndham's parlance these are still considered Club Wyndham resorts - not affiliate resorts. Per the map in the current directory, they are all red dots like the other Club Wyndham resorts. The only affiliate resorts/purple dots are Coconut Malorie, Angel Fire, the Club GeoPremiere resort in Quebec, and the El Cid resorts in Mexico. (There are also orange dot associate resorts that are part of South Pacific.)

Not to say that these not/partially-managed-by-Wyndham resorts don't have fussy booking rules; they do. (Especially since many are among the closest to my house but a pain to try to book just a few days at.) But they're not technically affiliate resorts.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
Just to clarify, in Wyndham's parlance these are still considered Club Wyndham resorts - not affiliate resorts. Per the map in the current directory, they are all red dots like the other Club Wyndham resorts. The only affiliate resorts/purple dots are Coconut Malorie, Angel Fire, the Club GeoPremiere resort in Quebec, and the El Cid resorts in Mexico. (There are also orange dot associate resorts that are part of South Pacific.)

Not to say that these not/partially-managed-by-Wyndham resorts don't have fussy booking rules; they do. (Especially since many are among the closest to my house but a pain to try to book just a few days at.) But they're not technically affiliate resorts.

Agreed - I consider them "affiliate member resorts" for all intents and purposes - as they behave similarly to the actual affiliate resorts - though in comparison - the affiliate resorts with purple dots are even worse when it comes to available inventory than the "affiliate member resorts" where Wyndham doesn't fully own/manage the property in my experience. Personally I think Wyndham should differentiate between resorts they outright own in entirety vs resorts where they don't own the property and/or don't manage the property in entirety - but that would lower the number of "real" resorts that Wyndham actually truly owns on their maps that allows them to claim they are the largest timeshare company on earth.

troy12n

Reaction score
Also, in the specific example I brought up in August, the panhandle resorts, it was ALL of them. PCB, Majestic Sun, Emerald Grand, Bay Club 1-2 and Beach Street Cottages or whatever it's called. All of them had the exact same dates blocked from booking from Jan 1 to April 4 for a period of at least Mid-August to October, when it magically fixed itself.

This, to me, is unacceptable, and demands an explanation.

Also, regarding "associate resorts", Sapphire Valley has 3 sections of the resort that are available to Club Wyndham: Mountain Laurel (fully Wyndham owned), Fairway Forrest (Diamond owned) and Foxhunt (owned by another company), it doesn't make sense that the entire resort would be unbookable (again, in PRIME season) for a period of 3 months straight.

Lake Lure is a similar arrangement where Wyndham does not own the entire resort, but has an arrangement with other timeshare companies to share inventory... It's not like the "affiliate" resort arrangement at places like Angel Fire, the former resort in Chicago, the former one in Galveston, Ocean City MD and Mills House in Charleston. Those are, in my opinion, shady arrangements so Wyndham has a "dot on the map" which looks good on a sales presentation, even though in practice, they are mostly unbookable to us...

These resorts I mentioned, we should have unfettered access to the resorts inventory from 10 months to 60 days... and in cases where these resorts have inventory in access, for those owners from 13 months to 60 days...

UGA1981

Reaction score
Steamboat Springs has a ghost issue for February 10,11. I reported it to the vacation counselors.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
Also, in the specific example I brought up in August, the panhandle resorts, it was ALL of them. PCB, Majestic Sun, Emerald Grand, Bay Club 1-2 and Beach Street Cottages or whatever it's called. All of them had the exact same dates blocked from booking from Jan 1 to April 4 for a period of at least Mid-August to October, when it magically fixed itself.

This, to me, is unacceptable, and demands an explanation.

Also, regarding "associate resorts", Sapphire Valley has 3 sections of the resort that are available to Club Wyndham: Mountain Laurel (fully Wyndham owned), Fairway Forrest (Diamond owned) and Foxhunt (owned by another company), it doesn't make sense that the entire resort would be unbookable (again, in PRIME season) for a period of 3 months straight.

Lake Lure is a similar arrangement where Wyndham does not own the entire resort, but has an arrangement with other timeshare companies to share inventory... It's not like the "affiliate" resort arrangement at places like Angel Fire, the former resort in Chicago, the former one in Galveston, Ocean City MD and Mills House in Charleston. Those are, in my opinion, shady arrangements so Wyndham has a "dot on the map" which looks good on a sales presentation, even though in practice, they are mostly unbookable to us...

These resorts I mentioned, we should have unfettered access to the resorts inventory from 10 months to 60 days... and in cases where these resorts have inventory in access, for those owners from 13 months to 60 days...

I agree that explanations would be in order - but we have never seen Wyndham provide any explanations for blocked inventory - or at least I never have in my years of Wyndham timeshare ownership. I have repeatedly asked for more transparency over time - but I'm not going to hold my breath so to speak.

With regard to the affiliate member resorts, while you may think you should have unfettered access to inventory, what really matters is Wyndham's contractual relationships with the managing entity/resort ownership. For example, I know that in the past, for the NC resorts in scope of this conversation, the resorts have overbooked their inventory during certain date ranges - and those resorts then instruct Wyndham (and any other affiliate owners) to block out inventory to resolve oversold inventory issues for a period of time (mostly by waiting for cancellations to occur over time). These blackout periods are dictated by the resort ownership/manager. Wyndham doesn't have any choice (nor do any of the other affiliate members). I know this because I happen to know a few other timeshare owners from other systems (such as Diamond) that have access to some of the same resorts - and their inventory within their system was also blocked out as unavailable. What does that tell us? It tells us it's the resort owner/manager that is blocking out their inventory from third party affiliates for a period of time to resolve oversold inventory issues. This is not uncommon unfortunately - especially in a world where overbooking is more common than ever (whether for flights or any other reservation based systems).

Am I happy about any of this? Nope. There are also extenuating circumstances to some blocks - such as what happened with the Chicago resort. Initially - no one was even aware that the Chicago resort was sold - yet we started getting reports where all inventory blocked out beyond a certain date. Any time there are potential resort affiliation changes in play - even if there's a chance of a resort affiliation change or an alteration to the contractual relationship - the resort, or Wyndham, or any other affiliate resort members, may block out inventory until the affiliation matters in scope are resolved. Should this be communicated to owners proactively? That's a debate to be had I suppose - but I'm not aware of any timeshare company that proactively tells their ownership base that a particular resort affiliation may be changed or may be terminated - until such time as it is.

troy12n

Reaction score
I think if we read between the lines of your comments, some change may be afoot at New Bern... "a la chicago"...

And I get that Wyndham will never be 100% transparent with us regarding these blockages, but when an entire region (6 resorts) total availability completely disappears for a period of 4 months, including all of SPRING BREAK, I feel that deserves SOME sort of explanation. Especially when you call a resort and they tell you directly they have tons of availability on the dates in question, but you can't book it.

And not to belabor this point, but getting back to affiliates and places like Sapphire Valley, it's certainly possible for Diamond to pull inventory or block, but same as Panhandle, it becomes increasingly unbelievable that all the Wyndham units (mountain meadow) there were completely unavailable as well for a 3 month timeframe as well. Not one single day. Having the resort verify this too, doesn't really help with their credibility

I get there's only so much you can do, but this is just us/me venting frustrations, because this nonsense is happening more recently, and with the timing of it, and the conspiracy theories around extra vacations taking inventory, these sorts of events don't help those rumors stop, so again, Wyndham loses credibility

msvca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know you requested ghost inventory issues but I believe there is an issue with the Hawaii resorts which is not ghost inventory related. Previously the Hawaii resorts were not part of Club Wyndham Access but now there are several listed on the website and in the new directory which are. I have been looking at inventory for a future trip and I am not able to search beyond 10 months but I should be able to search up to 13 months if it is part of CWA. I just checked and the farthest out I can make a reservation is beginning 11/6/23 which is 10 months at the following resorts which are listed as part of CWA: Kauai Beach Villas, CW Ka Eo Kai, CW Shearwater, Makai Club, and Makai Club Cottages. Any date after 11/6/23 and I get the Something unexpected just happened message. Even when I search for 11/7/23 with the same end date I used with a start date of 11/6/23 where there was availability I received the Something unexpected message.

The only listed CWA resort that I can make a reservation 13 months out is CW Mauna Loa Village.

The system would let me make a reservation at CW Bali Hai Villas beginning 2/6/24 but it is not listed as part of CWA. In the directory it is listed as Presidential Reserve. If it is not part of CWA I am not sure why I can book 13 months out.

There are two resorts in the directory which do not have any designation of CWA, CW Prefer Hawaii, or Presidential Reserve. They are CW Kona Hawaiian Resort and CW Royal Sea Cliff. 10 months out is the farthest I can search for availability for either of the resorts but there is plenty of availability during the second half of the year. They were Wyndham resorts prior to the addition of the Shell properties so it seems odd that they are not identified like the other Hawaii resorts as belonging to an ownership type so I cannot tell if they should be in the 13 month ARP of CWA and available for me to search.

The CW Prefer Hawaii resorts all limit me to 10 months out but that is what I would expect. It seems that most of the original CW resorts have been moved into CWA but for whatever reason CW Mauna Loa Village (and maybe CW Bali Hai Villas) is the only one being recognized as having the 13 month ARP when searching for availability and booking.

I did not look at Oahu so I do not know if there are any issues with those resorts.

Snippy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Ghost: Club Wyndham Branson at The Falls.
Jan 11-12
studio deluxe- mobility
1673112892951.png

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bonnet creek. Feb 10-12. One bedroom deluxe.

It doesn’t seem to me so much a ghost inventory problem as it does a terrible IT department in over its head that can’t provide real time accurate displays of inventory that was likely booked hours ago. But continues to show up hours later and now gives the spinning wheel of death when I attempt to book it.

If my monthly payments to Wyndham operated like their website, how patient would they be? The oligarch Michael Brown is cashing checks from his bonus. And I’m stuck complaining about an ongoing problem. And I’m complaining, not to Wyndham, because they don’t care as long as my payments are made, but on a blog website. How sad is it, that more help and assistance is provided here than by Wyndham?

Wyndham is a broken company. Morally.

Snippy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
What recourse do we have?
1. Frequent and often use of the side "feedback" button. I suggest each and every time you log in.
2. Emails to Michael Brown. (My one email asking for action on a 10 month old IT ticket went unanswered)
3. Paper letters mailed to corporate Wyndham
4. anyone know how to get a news reporters attention? This is way outside my knowledge, but how could we get a news article that is shared via yahoo, etc?
5. ??

So many issues. There are several others here on TUG that write way better then I do, giving it a shot.

1. Commercial letters. according to the annual meeting, owners are being "disciplined". Someone here on TUG used some very accurate descriptive words. Poorly implemented. Poorly managed. etc.
2. Poor management of our accounts. I'm still getting emails notifying me of payments for someone else.
3. Poor implementation of dual factor - owners locked out - no way to change initial option
4. Poor implementation of paymentus - requiring each owner to call in - owner details often not accurate.
5. "overselling". Just this week, I heard the person checking in next to me being offered a 1br and a 2br as the 3 bedroom presidential they had booked did not really exist.
6. Spilt off of resale being implemented poorly. I'm not arguing that this was not a valid decision, only that their implementation was bad. My account and others were totally a mess for months.
7. System change to count some every other year differently that caused many owners to drop in status. Again, also a valid decision for wyndham, but a poor implementation and support. Return emails/call that occurred weeks later. A compassionate company would have offered a very discounted rate to allow members to buy up to the level they were promised.
8. Call in center with staff that do not know the system.

I'm sure I have missed many many issues. How can we be heard?