• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please Pray for Our Daughter

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I am so happy that your daughter has improved. She will be in all our prayers.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is very good news ... and until you have been through that weanning off the ventilator, you don't realize how thin that line is between breathing on their own or not. Like your daughter, my nephew rallied enough to be able to breathe on his own, but in a rapid, shallow, fast pant. Neverless, he was off the vent.

I too will keep your daughter in my thoughts.

K&PFitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm very happy for you that this is turning out well. Thank God she's going to be ok.

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great news. Will keep the prayers going for a strong recovery.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
more prayers

more prayers for you and your daughter, and family. Prayer works!

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
WOW it like we have been through this with you. Glad to hear all if going well.

hope this become a memory soon enough. :clap:

janckenn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Grand Waikikian x1
HGVC West 57th Street x2,
HGVC Flamingo x2,
HC The District x1
HGVC member since 2007
May God bring further blessings to your daughter for a speedy recovery.

vacationcrazy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jan,
I am glad to hear things are looking up for your daughter. I know how you must feel. It is very difficult when a child is sick or has medical problems no matter how old they are. We all love are children dearly and we would rather be the ones taking the pain for them if we could. I wish Jen a speedy recovery.
Deb

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Things are progressing with Jen. She is coming "down" from all the drugs they were giving her and it is not pretty. She has been so agitated. Well, violent and horrible actually. The first day as I mentioned previously she was a bit agitated and her roommate was able to keep her calm. She stayed with her the first night and although Jen was agitated and a bit cantankerous we thought it would probably pass in 24 hours or so. Whoa! So not true!

She seemed to be a bit better yesterday and asked for me so I stayed with her all day and last night. She was still agitated, still hallucinating, was arguing some, etc. but it seemed to be less so we were pleased. Then all of a sudden this morning at 5 am she became almost uncontrollable - fighting EVERYTHING! Trashing around the bed, trying to pull her feeding tube out, screaming at people, etc. She had ahold of my hand and all of a sudden her nails dug into my hand and she proceeded to launch off on a tirade of obscenity blaming me for everything. As a mother of course that hurts you but I keep that in perspective. I don't believe she means those things. Anyway, there she was saying the "F" word, injecting that into almost every sentence, and being a genuine pain in the butt. Finally after two hours of it, a shot of Percocet and another sedative that didn't work, I told the nurse they HAD to truly sedate her and I left. I stayed out for a few hours and during that time spoke to two of her doctors. Yesterday, they all seemed surprised that she was responding to coming down from the ventilator and drugs the way she was. They knew there would be some reaction, of course but not like how she was responding. This morning was horrible and I mean horrible. Her blood pressure at one point was 172/105, heart rate at 151, and she had not slept in 48 hours.

They proceeded to give her a different, stronger sedative that will help her rest until she works through all the different things going on with her body and told us to go home. She seemed to do better with the doctors and nurses than us. They felt she was acting better with them because they are "authority" figures in her eyes and because we are family she thinks it is ok to act the way she is. So, exhausted we came home.

The good news is they have removed both of her chest tubes and should be removing her feeding tube later today. There was some discussion of moving her out of ICU but I don't see that happening under the circumstances. We are going to go back in a little while after I shower and we get some dinner. They told us not to plan on staying the night with her and to just let her body go through this.

As I type this, I think of how far we have come and how grateful we are that she is still with us. I saw two mothers in ICU this week who weren't so lucky. One lost her daughter at 40 and another at 24, both mothers having to make the choice to take their daughters off life support. In between bouts of my own sorrow I managed to try and strengthen them. My heart just literally broke for them. What do you say to someone in that situation other than, "I am so sorry and am praying for you?"

Thank you again, my sweet friends on TUG. I could never have made it through this without you. We are very hopeful that Jen will make a full recovery and I know without your prayers it might not have happened.

Love,
Jan

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. What an experience. Stay strong and sending more prayers for you all.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Things are progressing with Jen. She is coming "down" from all the drugs they were giving her and it is not pretty. She has been so agitated. Well, violent and horrible actually. The first day as I mentioned previously she was a bit agitated and her roommate was able to keep her calm. She stayed with her the first night and although Jen was agitated and a bit cantankerous we thought it would probably pass in 24 hours or so. Whoa! So not true!

She seemed to be a bit better yesterday and asked for me so I stayed with her all day and last night. She was still agitated, still hallucinating, was arguing some, etc. but it seemed to be less so we were pleased. Then all of a sudden this morning at 5 am she became almost uncontrollable - fighting EVERYTHING! Trashing around the bed, trying to pull her feeding tube out, screaming at people, etc. She had ahold of my hand and all of a sudden her nails dug into my hand and she proceeded to launch off on a tirade of obscenity blaming me for everything. As a mother of course that hurts you but I keep that in perspective. I don't believe she means those things. Anyway, there she was saying the "F" word, injecting that into almost every sentence, and being a genuine pain in the butt. Finally after two hours of it, a shot of Percocet and another sedative that didn't work, I told the nurse they HAD to truly sedate her and I left. I stayed out for a few hours and during that time spoke to two of her doctors. Yesterday, they all seemed surprised that she was responding to coming down from the ventilator and drugs the way she was. They knew there would be some reaction, of course but not like how she was responding. This morning was horrible and I mean horrible. Her blood pressure at one point was 172/105, heart rate at 151, and she had not slept in 48 hours.

They proceeded to give her a different, stronger sedative that will help her rest until she works through all the different things going on with her body and told us to go home. She seemed to do better with the doctors and nurses than us. They felt she was acting better with them because they are "authority" figures in her eyes and because we are family she thinks it is ok to act the way she is. So, exhausted we came home.

The good news is they have removed both of her chest tubes and should be removing her feeding tube later today. There was some discussion of moving her out of ICU but I don't see that happening under the circumstances. We are going to go back in a little while after I shower and we get some dinner. They told us not to plan on staying the night with her and to just let her body go through this.

As I type this, I think of how far we have come and how grateful we are that she is still with us. I saw two mothers in ICU this week who weren't so lucky. One lost her daughter at 40 and another at 24, both mothers having to make the choice to take their daughters off life support. In between bouts of my own sorrow I managed to try and strengthen them. My heart just literally broke for them. What do you say to someone in that situation other than, "I am so sorry and am praying for you?"

Thank you again, my sweet friends on TUG. I could never have made it through this without you. We are very hopeful that Jen will make a full recovery and I know without your prayers it might not have happened.

Love,
Jan

I went through the same sort of thing when both of my parents did a stint in ICU. My Dad scared the "you know what" out of my sister and years later when my mom ended up in ICU she wouldn't even go to the hospital with me.

There is a name for it, ICU psychosis. I think there was another thread here on it awhile ago.

Will keep you and Jen in my thoughts. One of my DVC friends had his MIL go through something similar and she really bounced back quickly. Within weeks she was in PT and logged into the DIS boards to thank everyone for supporting her and her family.

taffy19

Reaction score
Just read the whole thread and believe that the worst is over and your daughter will get better but you have endured so much.
hug.gif
You have many people pray for you or send you good vibes and it is working.

Don't worry what your daughter said to you because that was caused by these drugs but they have saved her life besides the good vibes and prayers. :)

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Oh Jan I'm so happy for you. :whoopie:

ICU Psychosis can look scary but when she transfers to a regular room and gets back into a regular sleep pattern, this too shall pass. :zzz:

Don't fear, God is obviously parking a guardian angel at her side.

I've gone to visit many of our patients on the floors once they transfer out of the ICU and many of them don't remember a thing about the ICU stay. Those drugs can have an amnesic effect and also make you paranoid.

One day soon you'll be sitting around the dinner table telling Jen ICU stories and laughing about it. I know it doesn't feel like it now but hopefully sooner than later she'll be home again.

I'm glad you have your faith to sustain you.
I'll continue to pray for you both.
Please continue to keep us updated.
God bless you both. :) :) :)

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I'm very glad she is progressing, but sorry that she and you are dealing with this complication. You are right to not take her outburts personally. Soon, God willing, your "old" daughter will be back with you. Continued prayers being sent your way. - Jacki

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Oh Jan I'm so happy for you. :whoopie:

ICU Psychosis can look scary but when she transfers to a regular room and gets back into a regular sleep pattern, this too shall pass. :zzz:

Don't fear, God is obviously parking a guardian angel at her side.

I've gone to visit many of our patients on the floors once they transfer out of the ICU and many of them don't remember a thing about the ICU stay. Those drugs can have an amnesic effect and also make you paranoid.

One day soon you'll be sitting around the dinner table telling Jen ICU stories and laughing about it. I know it doesn't feel like it now but hopefully sooner than later she'll be home again.

I'm glad you have your faith to sustain you.
I'll continue to pray for you both.
Please continue to keep us updated.
God bless you both. :) :) :)

I'm very glad she is progressing, but sorry that she and you are dealing with this complication. You are right to not take her outburst personally. Soon, God willing, your "old" daughter will be back with you. Continued prayers being sent your way. - Jacki
Nurse number 3 here - it will get better - so glad she is improving physically....the rest will follow.

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am just so happy that she is on her way to recovery! You do know rationally those are the drugs talking, and not your daughter! I understand it is still painful, but please rationalize - drugs turn us into creatures we are not - but sometimes we need them to save our life!

I personally deeply appreciate all you shared with us through this process - thank you again for turning to your friends here on tug for comfort and communication, and know we are always here for you to listen, talk, share, support, pray and comfort!

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
:cheer: :cheer: Jen is out of ICU!! She was transferred to intermediate care this evening where she will be for 2-3 days most likely. The turn around has truly been a miracle provided by the Lord through the many, many people who prayed for her and kept her in their thoughts. She has had fantastic care by the staff here and her doctors have been amazing. I think in many ways I am still in shock at all that has happened. It is just hard to comprehend.

The sedative they gave her has helped calm her and she is her old self again. It is interesting that she in fact remembers her horrible behavior and when she saw me late last night she started crying and apologizing for everything. I told her that there was no need to apologize - that I knew she was simply suffering terribly from all the drugs, etc. For those of you who identified ICU Psychosis, thank you so much!! We had no idea that could happen and after reading your thoughts on it I did a little research. Sounded just like our sweet Jen. She is still having a little agitation (restless legs and arms) and some anxiety but they are treating that and she is doing very well.

It has been a long two weeks but I have been strengthened and bouyed by all of your support. I am grateful that I could come here and ask all of you for help and know that you would truly care about our little girl. Much love to all of you!! I will post again to let you know how things are going!

Love,
Jan

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw your sightings, so I figured Jen must be doing better.

Big :cheer: to being out of ICU.