• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please List Best Dining Deals on Maui

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I'm trying to create a list of the best places to dine at with a family of 5 on Maui that will not break the bank… I will be stopping at Costco and buying food for breakfast, lunch and some dinners….I just wanted to start to get a list together...

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
Aloha Sugarcubesea!

Costco was going to be my first suggestion for saving on dining! ;) Check out their gift cards and see what they have. I just picked up several last month while on the Disney Cruise to Hawaii for DH and I to use when we fly to Maui next May to stay in our TS. We really love Honu, Mala Ocean Tavern and Frida's which are all owned and run by famous Hawaii chef, Mark Ellman. They had gift cards, $100 for only $79. YAY! And their assortment of gift cards can change.

We find that as east coasters we are hungry earlier so we often take advantage of Happy/Aloha Hours to order slightly cheaper pupu's (apps) and beverages and call that dinner.

Btw, Costco has some awesome sashimi and poke, so check it out when there!

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
Where are you staying Sugarcubesea? That will help with suggestions. :D

triangulum33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2005 WKORN
Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina has good local food and ocean views for $10-$15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Be sure you use the search function and search for Maui dining and Maui restaurants - there is lots of good info. in the old posts.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Knowing location will help a lot.

We tend to use Open Table a lot both at home, and when traveling. You can look for restaurants and filter it by price (as well as location, etc.). There are reviews, and links to the menus. Then you can make your reservations online.

We also use Trip Advisor, and so far they haven't steered us wrong.

Our timeshare is in Kihei so I can provide more info on places to eat on that side of the island.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We will be staying at Maui Lea, in Maui next year. Any suggestions you have we appriecate!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We will be staying at Maui Lea, in Maui next year. Any suggestions you have we appriecate!

That's our home resort. We love it.

Here is a list I put together for some friends. The prices vary, I'll try to indicate which ones I feel are more reasonable.

Wailea:
Gannon’s – they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, we’ve only had lunch and dinner there. (expensive)
Joe’s Restaurant - (another Bev Gannon restaurant)
Manoli’s Pizza – another one where the setting is great. They do have good pizza and pastas. (moderate)
Monkeypod – we liked it for lunch better than for dinner as we were able to get a table outside. This is in a small shopping center kind of up the hill from the resorts. (moderate to expensive)

The restaurants at the Wailea shopping center are okay, but I’d recommend these others first.

Kihei:
Café O Lei – this is usually our first night dinner spot. It’s within walking distance for you in the Rainbow Mall. Not the fanciest of places, but good selection. And I love their lilikoi margarita. (one of our favorites, moderate)
Bistro 808 – breakfast and dinner, they don’t have a liquor license, but you can bring your own wine in if you want (moderate)
Ono Gelato
Fred’s – for breakfast, again within walking distance (reasonable)
Five Palms – lunch, mostly for the atmosphere (expensive)
Cuatro – don’t have a liquor license, but you can bring your own (moderate)
Three’s – get a table outside (moderate)

Hali'maile General Store – address is Makawao. We’ve only been there for lunch, it was excellent. Another of Bev Gannon’s restaurants. (expensive)

Mama’s Fish House – always excellent and very expensive

If you check around a lot of places have early bird specials, or Happy Hours that would provide enough for a meal.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our timeshare is in Ka'anapali, so don't know much about the south Maui restaurants. However, I do want to second the Cafe O'Lei recommendation. We've eaten there several times and even had them cater our daughter's wedding this past August. Their food has always been very good, and they did an excellent catering job too.

We enjoy Hali'imaili too.

Another place we frequent is the Fish Market, either in Paia, or Kihei. I like their Mahi burgers.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
There is also a Fish Market in Kaanapali, just up the street from K. Beach Club. I don't know if its the same chain as the others, its just a hole in the wall place with a counter and a few tables outside. You can buy fresh fish and cook it yourself too.

On the same street the ABC store has a lunch / deli counter that has cheap lunch plates that is popular with locals. Tables outside there too.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiting on Sugarcubesea for their accommodations location before making additional recommendations…….;)

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aloha Sugarcubesea!

Costco was going to be my first suggestion for saving on dining! ;) Check out their gift cards and see what they have. I just picked up several last month while on the Disney Cruise to Hawaii for DH and I to use when we fly to Maui next May to stay in our TS. We really love Honu, Mala Ocean Tavern and Frida's which are all owned and run by famous Hawaii chef, Mark Ellman. They had gift cards, $100 for only $79. YAY! And their assortment of gift cards can change.

We find that as east coasters we are hungry earlier so we often take advantage of Happy/Aloha Hours to order slightly cheaper pupu's (apps) and beverages and call that dinner.

Btw, Costco has some awesome sashimi and poke, so check it out when there!

Thank you so much as those are excellent suggestions...

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Where are you staying Sugarcubesea? That will help with suggestions. :D

The first 5 days we are at: Hono Koa Vacation Club ---Honokowai, Maui, Hawaii
The remaining days we are at: Sands of Kahana Vacation Club ---- Kahana, Maui, Hawaii

I appreciate the help

Last edited:

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Dolly's Pizza will be in walking distance when your at Sands of Kahana. Probably
The best pizza I've had on any island in Hawaii. We were only up there a week
And had it twice.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

We'll be there in 2017. Subbing thread.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I LOVE the Kahana/Honokowai area, Sugarcubesea! There is a fabulous little farmers market we always go to in Honokowai on Wednesdays and buy pineapple bagels and lilikoi cream cheese for breakfast. YUMMY!!!! It is at a little green market that is RIGHT on Lower Honoapiilani Hwy across from a small beachfront park. There are other days they have the market too I think, that's just the day we always go.

Friends that own at the Westin Villas love Mama's Ribs that's up that way. The Honolua General Store on Kapalua property has been redone but I hear they still have good sandwiches and plate lunches. If you want to get up pretty early and get in line for a HUGE and yummy breakfast near you with fabulous views of Moloka'i, there's the Gazebo in Napili. Super close to you. Can't think of the name of the little old school resort the Gazebo is in….it's Napili something….

There is a fish market in a little strip center near Star Market grocery that has fish to either take home and cook or I believe they will cook it for you as well. And in the same strip center is Honokowai Okazuya & Deli. Teeny place, best to take out but reasonable prices and quite good.

We like Maui Brewing in Kahana for a nice burger and/or brew. It's behind the McDonald's. CJ's Deli down in Ka'anapali right on the highway is a great place for breakfast or lunch. Deli style and lots of home cooked type stuff. Roy's Ka'anapali has some really great lunch options at what I consider pretty good prices for Maui and for a very nice place. They had a kalua pork sandwich on a taro bun with sweet potato fries that was KILLER. Star Noodle is not cheap but not real pricey either and it is mauka (up the hill/mountain) from the Lahaina Farms Foodland which is across from the Cannery Mall in Lahaina. Their hot & sour soup is AMAZING!! It was the very first go-to food for us on our trip this last Jan/Feb.

If you love sushi (real sushi, as in raw), you will love poke ("poh-kay") & you can go into any good grocery store, head back to the seafood counter and ask to try the ones that look good to you as they will have quite an assortment. At Foodland for around$6-$10 you can buy a scoop or 2 of poke over rice in a bowl, take it to the nearest beach and voila! Heavenly food in a heavenly place! For us, that is a little slice of Hawaii!!! :banana:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Misread something.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I'll second Mamas Ribs and the Gazebo. Both are great and moderate prices.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Slip, I have to laugh every time I think about the Gazebo. We had meant to get there on numerous previous trips to Maui but never did until this last Feb. Got there really early, so not a terrible wait and even my DH that is NOT good at waiting was in good spirits. The whale show visible from the line was awesome too! So, we get seated and DH wants the fried rice special as his breakfast. I said, um, we haven't been here but I have heard it is ENORMOUS, "you better get the 1/2 order". ;) Oh no, he would have NONE of that! :rofl: So, they bring his giant PLATTER heaped at least 6 inches high of fried rice and my eyeballs about popped out of my head!! :eek: :hysterical: He only made a dent in it and he is no finicky eater. Took the leftovers back to our condo and literally had breakfast for 3 more mornings from that fried rice!!! :D

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lol, I saw someone who ordered that too and I figured it was a couple of meals
Worth. We got lucky and went late morning but the wait wasn't long. By the time
We were done the line was about three times longer. Good service and food.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our timeshare is in Ka'anapali, so don't know much about the south Maui restaurants. However, I do want to second the Cafe O'Lei recommendation. We've eaten there several times and even had them cater our daughter's wedding this past August. Their food has always been very good, and they did an excellent catering job too.

We enjoy Hali'imaili too.

Another place we frequent is the Fish Market, either in Paia, or Kihei. I like their Mahi burgers.

These all sound amazing….thanks so much

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Thanks for the suggestions!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Maui Dining

For Breakfast we recommend Kihei Cafe. It is Cash only. You go through the line, order, pay, and then find a Table. Normally when we travel we breakfast in but when in Maui to go to the Kihei Cafe for about 1/2 of our mornings. I love their Loco Moco.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I LOVE the Kahana/Honokowai area, Sugarcubesea! There is a fabulous little farmers market we always go to in Honokowai on Wednesdays and buy pineapple bagels and lilikoi cream cheese for breakfast. YUMMY!!!! It is at a little green market that is RIGHT on Lower Honoapiilani Hwy across from a small beachfront park. There are other days they have the market too I think, that's just the day we always go.

Friends that own at the Westin Villas love Mama's Ribs that's up that way. The Honolua General Store on Kapalua property has been redone but I hear they still have good sandwiches and plate lunches. If you want to get up pretty early and get in line for a HUGE and yummy breakfast near you with fabulous views of Moloka'i, there's the Gazebo in Napili. Super close to you. Can't think of the name of the little old school resort the Gazebo is in….it's Napili something….

There is a fish market in a little strip center near Star Market grocery that has fish to either take home and cook or I believe they will cook it for you as well. And in the same strip center is Honokowai Okazuya & Deli. Teeny place, best to take out but reasonable prices and quite good.

We like Maui Brewing in Kahana for a nice burger and/or brew. It's behind the McDonald's. CJ's Deli down in Ka'anapali right on the highway is a great place for breakfast or lunch. Deli style and lots of home cooked type stuff. Roy's Ka'anapali has some really great lunch options at what I consider pretty good prices for Maui and for a very nice place. They had a kalua pork sandwich on a taro bun with sweet potato fries that was KILLER. Star Noodle is not cheap but not real pricey either and it is mauka (up the hill/mountain) from the Lahaina Farms Foodland which is across from the Cannery Mall in Lahaina. Their hot & sour soup is AMAZING!! It was the very first go-to food for us on our trip this last Jan/Feb.

If you love sushi (real sushi, as in raw), you will love poke ("poh-kay") & you can go into any good grocery store, head back to the seafood counter and ask to try the ones that look good to you as they will have quite an assortment. At Foodland for around$6-$10 you can buy a scoop or 2 of poke over rice in a bowl, take it to the nearest beach and voila! Heavenly food in a heavenly place! For us, that is a little slice of Hawaii!!! :banana:

Southerngirl, thank you so much for all of the amazing recommendation’s you gave to me. I’m so excited as a lot of these sound simply amazing.