• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please help me with a June 2009 western vacation

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. In the beginning stages planning a June 2009 vacation with wife and two girls (11 & 6). They have never been out west save three ski vacations so we are trying to find a good location for a week of relaxation, sightseeing and maybe seeing a National Park or two.

I have three areas of interest and all airfares are pretty comparable right now with direct flights from our airport:

1. Scottdale/Phoenix, AZ (Westin Kierland)
2. Park City, UT (one of the Marriott properties)
2. Palm Springs/Desert or Rancho, CA (Westin Mission Hills or Marriott Desert Springs)

Any recommendations on which area is best with a couple of small kids? Golf is not a priority although if Dad can sneak off for a quick 18 that might not be a bad thing! ;)

We are leaning towards AZ since we have never seen the Grand Canyon and although it would be a long drive it would be a must see.

Thanks!

Last edited:

cr4909

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are some quick thoughts:

1. Scottdale/Phoenix, AZ (Western Kierland)
Hot, hot, hot!! But if you're going to stay by the pool, I guess it's ok. If you do plan on doing GC, I'd highly recommend staying one night in one of the nearby lodges. At least weather will be cooler up there.

2. Park City, UT (one of the Marriott properties)
Not as hot, but I don't know how much there is to do. Of course, you can always find things to do, and some of the ski mountains convert to summer activities. The famous national parks (Moab and Bryce) are in the southern part of the state and would be a very long drive.

2. Palm Springs/Desert or Rancho, CA (Westin Mission Hills or Marriott Desert Springs)
Hot, hot, hot!! Not as much to do with the kids. Two things that come to mind would be the Knott's water park (Soak City, I believe) and the Aerial Tram, which takes you straight up about 6000 ft to a much cooler climate.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I agree. The desert locations are going to be brutally hot during the summer. What about somewhere in Colorado?

grest

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Or, if you want to fly to Phoenix, how about driving from there to Sedona, where it's a bit cooler?
Connie

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While I wouldn't want to go to Palm Springs in the summer, June is likely only hot then. Hot, Hot, Hot would be in August.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
While I wouldn't want to go to Palm Springs in the summer, June is likely only hot then. Hot, Hot, Hot would be in August.

I was in Palm Springs one June. Temps were in the low 100's. The comment from a child we encountered was "I'm so hot my hair is melting". ;)

CalifasGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
so hot...

I was in Palm Springs one June. Temps were in the low 100's. The comment from a child we encountered was "I'm so hot my hair is melting". ;)
Oh, I have been in some hot weather, like 120 degrees. When it's that hot, the asphalt is soft under your feet. :eek:

Red Rox

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're leaning towards AZ and want to visit the GCNP, then you should really be focusing on Sedona. It's the ideal place to stay at that time of year. Are you seeing any trade possibilities in Sedona?

randyz

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I will echo the last 2 reccomendations.

Sedona and Grand Canyon
or
San Francisco/Monterey/Yosemite

The desert is too hot!

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
I agree the desert is too hot! I am a native California girl and I thought I knew hot; it was not until I went to Phoenix during the summer months, did I really understand hot. Well I will never go to and through the desert again during the summer. What were we thinking driving through Palm Springs, and a place called Blythe where they have to prepare the room all day before you arrive. Which means the air condition must be turned on during the morning to keep the room ready for your arrival in the evening. It was 120, and as soon as you get out of the car it literally hits you like a ton of bricks. Even being in the pool was unbearable!

What about the Marriott in Newport Beach, or up to Northern California. Monterey is beautiful and has the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Carmel is next door too. Yosemite is a must see! Yosemite is crowded during the summer but it is one of our nations "crown jewels."

San Diego is nice too and has the wonderful San Diego Zoo, and many other beautiful areas, La Jolla, Mission Beach. The famous golf course Torrey Pines is in San Diego! Torrey Pines is a public golf course, where the PGA Buick Golf Tournament is held every year. There is so much to do for the whole family in San Diego. So much to see, so little time!

Good luck!
Dorene

Last edited:

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I get that it will be hot...although it looks like at night it generally cools down a bit in June (unlike July/August).

As for other locations...no go online with Newport Beach at this point but there a few Welk resorts available in San Diego.

As for Sedona it looks like the following resorts are available now: Sedona Vacation Club (2 of them), Sedona Springs and the Ridge on Sedona Golf.

I kinda figured hanging out by the pool all day (in Scottsdale/Phoenix) would kind of nullify the heat. Then again living in NNJ all my life I have never encountered any 105+ degree days!!!!!

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just want to put in a good word for Park City - there is lots to do with children and it is absolutely beautiful scenery. Because of the altitude the weather is cooler (high 80's) but still sunny and beautiful most of the time.

Red Rox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I get that it will be hot...although it looks like at night it generally cools down a bit in June (unlike July/August).

As for other locations...no go online with Newport Beach at this point but there a few Welk resorts available in San Diego.

As for Sedona it looks like the following resorts are available now: Sedona Vacation Club (2 of them), Sedona Springs and the Ridge on Sedona Golf.

I kinda figured hanging out by the pool all day (in Scottsdale/Phoenix) would kind of nullify the heat. Then again living in NNJ all my life I have never encountered any 105+ degree days!!!!!

Hanging by the pool in PHX or Palm Springs in the summer requires that you get in the pool every 5 minutes to cool off. Then when you get out, you dry off in less than 60 seconds, naturally, no towel needed. Then if you can stand 5 more minutes, you'll be back in the pool again.
Sedona Vacation Club means Los Abrigados, a nice but older facility with a full spa on site and close to everything in town. Sedona Springs is also nice. It's where we stayed on our very first visit to Sedona, We loved it so much, we bought property here and moved about 5 years later. The Ridge is the newest of the 3 you mentioned, and the sister to Sedona Summit where we own. It has a public access golf course on site. I played there yesterday. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
Sedona is 2 hours north of PHX and 2 hours south of the Grand Canyon NP. Plenty to see and do here in the summer. I'd make the trade.

JeanneB

Reaction score
We did our first vacation to the southwest last June, we stayed in Sedona and it was extremely hot by 9 a.m. every day. We did one overnight trip to the Grand Canyon and the temps there were perfect (low 80's during the day) but we wouldn't choose a Sedona vacation in late June again just because of the high heat, but Sedona is beautiful!!

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have not been to the resorts in AZ yet however my sister-in-law has a pool and in the summer the heat tends to warm up the pool so much that I find it not refreshing at all. :(

Kimberly614

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at the Hyatt Gainey Ranch a few years back (pre-timeshare)...I think it was 2005. We were there the 1st week of June and high temps were in the mid 90s. We were told we were extremely lucky, but I found the weather to be great. Yes, it was hot in the afternoon, but it was also still nice enough in the evening to be outside in the pool or wherever without being chilly.

We have taken the kids to Disney several times, Hawaii, HHI, Vero Beach, on a Disney cruise.......but they keep asking when we are going back to Arizona!

CATBinCO

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are booked for Scottsdale (Phoenix area) the 2nd week of June 2009 and are prepared for the heat. I think if you put it in your mind to expect dry hot/boiling temps, you won't have a disappointing trip, weather wise. Then if it's in the high 90's you are pleasantly surprised. The place we exchanged into has a pool with a waterfall, and a second pool that is completely in the shade. I figure, that's where my fair-skinned husband will be, and we (our two kids and I) just may be there with him! Fortunately there are a lot of indoor/AC'd things to see/do in Phoenix/Scottsdale. After a week there we will head up to Sedona for 3 days and see the Grand Canyon from there. I'm really looking forward to it, and the TripAdvisor forum (Phoenix, Sedona, Grand Canyon) has lots of suggestions for things to do.

Zib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey, I vote for Park City! There is lots to do there and YES!! being from Calif., I'd die from the heat in Scottsdale and Palm Springs in June!! You can't even sit out by the pool and be comfortable unless they get a very unusual cool spell. But we have been to Park City Marriott Mountainside the past two years in June and we loved it!!! There are lots of activities at the resort for kids and a wonderful pool. There are many other activities very close , many walking distance. Mountainside is right at the base of one of the ski mountains. They have zip lines and sled rides on the mountain. You can rent bicicles and go up the mountain (a little risky for kids unless expert riders), or ride around Park city. You can go to the Olympic Park a few miles away where the 2002 Olympics were held and you will usually see some of the next Olympic ski jumping team members practicing on their ski jumps on runs made of green PLASTIC. Kids can even take lessons for free style ski jumping into the pool there. (not FREE lessons tho!) It is a fascinating place. We spent a couple days each time there. Sometimes teams from other countries come there to practice, also. The free stlye jumpers do their flips into a big pool. They are fascinating to watch! There are zip lines and sled rides that you and the kids can ride there also. You can even take a ride down the bobsled run that they used in the Olympics, but it's expensive! All the rides and stuff can get pretty expensive tho. But there are lots of activities (free or small fee) at the resort for the kids. An interesting day is to drive to Salt Lake City and see the Morman Temple there. We didn't get to see their world famous choir practice, but if you go on the right day you can hear them. We've heard it is wonderful so we want to do that next time. And there will be a next time. We love that place!

Last edited:

mamadot

TUG Member
Reaction score
June temps in PHX can reach 105-110. I would go with Sedona if you want to visit the Grand Canyon. You are half way between GC and PHX.

Palm Springs will be close to the same temps.

Park City is beautiful in the summer. Beautiful area lots to do.
I vote for Park City. Marriott Summit Watch is downtown Park City. We love the area.

susiequeve

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were in Scottsdale last year (Westin Kierland) in early June and loved the dry heat. We had a great time in spite of the 100-105 degree temperatures each day but it really wasn't a problem. It's a dry heat, although very hot, we didn't sweat half as much as we do here in the summer in New England which is very humid. Go and have a wonderful time, we love Arizona so much, it's so beautiful. Tour the whole state if you can, there is something for everyone.