• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please help me decide which credit card to use for m/f's

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always used a Marriott Visa or AmEx. Now that the travel packages have changed I was wondering if I should use my Sapphire Reserve.

Please help.

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m doing Sapphire Reserve, converting to Southwest points. Someone else did an analysis on this BB a while ago and that was their decision. Even with the Marriott 6 points per dollar.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess it all depends how you use your points. I'm still taking the Marriott 6x.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I'm still using the Amex and Chase card for 6x points. Haven't gotten the Sapphire yet because Sapphire duplicates much of what I already have with other cards. Just can't justify the $150 fee yet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m doing Sapphire Reserve, converting to Southwest points. Someone else did an analysis on this BB a while ago and that was their decision. Even with the Marriott 6 points per dollar.

SW Business gets you x3 directly to your rapid rewards account. (If you fly SW, that is equivalent to x9 on the Marriott card)

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on some other threads on how Marriott is having difficulty with their website (as well as difficulty properly allocating the funds) then I would think twice before using any credit card again. Next time around I may just mail in a check.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
The 3x points on the Sapphire Reserve are really worth 4.5x if you use them to book travel through the Chase web site. You can book flights, hotels, or cars with them.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Using Chase Bonvoy over my Chase Sapphire as long as I can continue to pull more than $.01 per Marriott Bonvoy point. Upcoming reservation for 15 nights at the W Maldives for 1,020,000 points!

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I have 3 cc's for Marriott. Mine is a Marriott Bonvoy Boundless, DH's is a Marriott Rewards Premier Plus (upgraded) and Amex Bonvoy. Do all get 6 pts/$?

I was trying to pay online. At the bottom of the page it says "By choosing to pay online, I acknowledge that purchases are subject to Marriott Vacations Worldwide’s Refunds Policy, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy. I further acknowledge that payments are processed by CyberSource Corporation, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Visa, Inc. and that CyberSource is responsible for payment processing on behalf of Marriott Vacations Worldwide. Please click here to read CyberSource’s Privacy Policy, which applies to CyberSource’s card processing.”

Will I still get 6 pts./$ if I pay online?

Doesn't look like we'll be heading to the Maldives any time soon ;) so I had to do a comparison with something reasonable for us. I picked JW on Marco Island, Easter Week, just for a comparison."

Category 7

430K for 5 night TP with 100K miles + $175 resort fee (no upgrade guarantee). This means the miles cost 2.3 MR points each.
200K + $175 resort fee 5th night free (no upgrade guarantee)

260K + $2400 + $175 resort fee 5 nights only (upgraded to partial Gulf view with breakfast)

Chase Travel portal has partial Gulf view (no breakfast) for 270K UR points + $175 resort fee

We're Titanium. That usually means an upgrade plus we get suite night awards.

How would you number crunchers compare these?

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
IMO...those are some hefty resort and add-on fees. Have you compared renting for cash to cover MF from an owner on Tug or Redweek and then reimbursing yourself from Chase rewards via 1:1 cash out? Not the best use of MR points but you still might be ahead by paying only the MF and not having rental premiums, parking and resort fees.

SunandFun83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point
6 x points for one of your Bonvoy cards (Call rewards to find out) 3 x points at Chase You ear 2:1 ratio
430K Bonvoy points / 270K Chase = 1.6 ratio. You spend 1.6:1 ratio

To buy this room Bonvoy with 6 points is better.

I think the Marriott Miami Biscayne Bay I reserved was 290k for 5 night stay and 100,000 miles. 140,000 points on the hotel side means Delta miles cost 150,000 Bonvoy / 100,000 miles 1.5 cents a mile. United would be 150,000 Bonvoy / 110,000 United 1.364 Cents per mile

Do your own math on a simple 5 night certificate category 5. I had a good year in stocks last year, but I cannot afford the JW Marco

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
6 x points for one of your Bonvoy cards (Call rewards to find out) 3 x points at Chase You ear 2:1 ratio
430K Bonvoy points / 270K Chase = 1.6 ratio. You spend 1.6:1 ratio

To buy this room Bonvoy with 6 points is better.

I think the Marriott Miami Biscayne Bay I reserved was 290k for 5 night stay and 100,000 miles. 140,000 points on the hotel side means Delta miles cost 150,000 Bonvoy / 100,000 miles 1.5 cents a mile. United would be 150,000 Bonvoy / 110,000 United 1.364 Cents per mile

Do your own math on a simple 5 night certificate category 5. I had a good year in stocks last year, but I cannot afford the JW Marco

Thanks. That was just what I was looking for.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on some other threads on how Marriott is having difficulty with their website (as well as difficulty properly allocating the funds) then I would think twice before using any credit card again. Next time around I may just mail in a check.

You might want to hand-deliver some cash.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
So many credit cards. So many travel reward plans. It can become quite bewildering. I chose to pay my 2020 MVC mfs with my Bonvoy VISA. We will be going on a business trip to Avon, Co., later this January. I paid for the room and registration in advance with my Bonvoy American Express. The airline tickets were paid in advance with a United VISA Surpass. Our vacation travel plans for 2020 have already been made. However, we should now have enough travel reward points for some nice redemptions in 2021.

The main caveat is to keep track so as to avoid getting into too much credit card debt. I want my credit cards paid off immediately. The Chase and American Express websites are user friendly.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to hand-deliver some cash.

I hope you're not serious! How would you ever track a payment by cash?

Checks are electronically tracked and offer very evident proof of payment (for any debt).

Marriott is currently having "some" serious issues on proper allocation of credit card payments for annual fees. I experienced this problem myself late in December and it was not resolved for a week. Others are having more serious issues from what I have heard.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had no issues using the MVC website to pay the MF and Annual Dues using my credit card and an email confirmation seconds afterward. Thanks Marriott/Visa!

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
We use the Chase Sapphire Reserve and are happy to get 35,000 points every year for paying our MF. Enough for a one-way first class seat on AA between LAX and LIH in the summer! Not shabby at all.

The downside is Chase is raising the annual fee for Sapphire Reserve this year from $450 to $550! That's AMEX Platinum pricing.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I had no issues using the MVC website to pay the MF and Annual Dues using my credit card and an email confirmation seconds afterward. Thanks Marriott/Visa!
Me, too. Paid for DC points, two legacy weeks on Marriott, two weeks on Vistana. No issues, immediate-ish receipts and all charges netted 6x points on my Marriott VISA.

Sorry for those of you that have had issues. :wall:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
No problem here either, using Bonvoy card online......
Paid for Club Dues and also maintenance fees for 10 Marriott weeks.
In and out in 5 minutes. Receipts sent out by Marriott immediately.
Used Firefox, normally use Chrome but MVC does better with Firefox.