• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Platinum in II

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Has anyone elected Platinum membership in II? The thing that makes it look most interesting is the ability for free Guest Certificates because I do seem to give trades to friends and family frequently enough to justify it.

Has anyone elected this? I don't think the companion ticket on an airplane is that useful (I recall that Adriana gave hers away?) and I don't need the airline lounge. It would be purely for GC's.

Any comments or thoughts?

Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We considered it as you also get a $50 discount on getaways. If you buy getaways and use guest certs it can pay off. Jut two getaways given to friends pays for Plat. In our case we always have the people we get getaways for use their credit card to book and pay for the guest cert. So us paying for platinum wouldn't help us any. Not wanting to sound selfish, but I don't want to fork out money to save money for our friends. Now if you are paying for the guest certs for them, then it could be a money saver.

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am a Platinum Member. It is great for guest certificates and getaways. The savings go to my nieces and sisters so the savings are a litttle bonus for them. ( they are all so good to me when I visit from the Wesr Coast).

Last edited:

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
Yes, we did upgrade to platinum last June, because we were buying three getaways during the free AC with Getaway sale, and we planned to give one as a gift. So the $200 we saved ($50 savings on each getaway and $50 for gift cert.) more than paid for tne Platinum II.

The Getaways I bought were December Las Vegas Grand Chateau, the following week at Desert springs villas, and an October Timber Lodge. We had gorgeous weather everywhere, all were one bedroom, and the total for all three cost less than our maintenance fees at Mountainside.

Then the three ACs we used for a week back to back at Playa Andaluza (Ocean front 3 bedroom) and Marriott Marbella oceanview 2 bedroom, each a $ 179 exchange fee)in Spain in April, again sunny and gorgeous, though not swimming weather yet) and a late ski week at Tahoe for our boys in early April.

The original motivation to add a coupe of getaways was to be sure we qualified for Platinum again with Marriott. As it turned out, we had 15 days over what we needed, but at the time we were not sure our Maui exchange would happen, (and one other) so they were insurance weeks.

However, the other "perks" we have not used.

Last edited:

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
Has anyone elected Platinum membership in II? The thing that makes it look most interesting is the ability for free Guest Certificates because I do seem to give trades to friends and family frequently enough to justify it.

Has anyone elected this? I don't think the companion ticket on an airplane is that useful (I recall that Adriana gave hers away?) and I don't need the airline lounge. It would be purely for GC's.

Thanks!

Yes I went Platinum! The guest certificate part makes it worth while to me. It appears that you may be giving GC's more than I do so I think it would be a win situation for you.:whoopie: As for the companion ticket it always seems in those situations the ticket price is higher and the "companion" ends up paying a fee anyway.:( The lounge benefit would come in handy if one gets stuck in an airport for hours (has never happened to me), but I suppose it could happen!:ponder:

Jim

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
Hi
I upgraded to Platinum for the discount on getaways.

There are also some deeply discounted getaways 4 times a year just for platinum members. They are of course usually for the next month or two and for the usual oversupplied locations (Orlando,Branson,some Mexico, palm springs for the summer one ... and a few other).

there are also some getaways that platinum see first. They are usually at a high price but if you really wanted that week you could get it before others see it.

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too upgraded to the Platinum membership for the Guest Certificates and the $50 discount on Get Aways. We bought 2 Get Aways and 2 Guest Certs so that was enoght to pay for the memberhip.

The lounge benifits are not that good, You still have to pay a per person fee to go to a lounge. The Airline ticket compaionion cerificate is a joke. They double the lowest fare and then give you 2 for 1 and charge you a reservation fee to do so. My reneawl is in March, so I have to look if we are doing Get Aways and Certificates this year.

Never saw any of the Platinum only Get Aways and I look daily.

abg1688

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are in the Marriott DC program, and get the included II memebership, can you upgrade to platinum?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
If you are in the Marriott DC program, and get the included II memebership, can you upgrade to platinum?

Yes, but you have to pay the upgrade fee to II - the DC Club Dues do not cover II Gold or Plat upgrade fees. Here's a thread where we talked about it.

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
Yes, but you have to pay the upgrade fee to II - the DC Club Dues do not cover II Gold or Plat upgrade fees. Here's a thread where we talked about it.

Shell just switched from RCI to II, and Gold is included with our II membership from Shell. Would have been nice for Marriott to include that (Platinum would have been better!) at least for the first year in the DC membership. Would think they could have negotiated that with II since it encourages people to buy more Getaways, so both Marriott and II win.

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
I am Platinum for another month. In December I booked an exchange for a friend to stay in Orlando this June. When I went to get the free GC in their name, they claimed I would have to pay the upgrade fee again because the checkin date is after my Platinum expires (even though I booked the week a while ago when my Platinum is current). Seemed pretty cheesy to me. Won't be renewing Platinum again.

David

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
interval has had for as long as I can remember the policy that your membership has to be current at the time of the exchange/getaway not when you book it. This is true for regular exchanges and though I never thought of it, I see from your report that it is also true for benefits of gold or platinum

equitax

TUG Member
Reaction score
II platinum

Got it for the free GC's and have used them so that is nice - Also booked a getaway on priority view and saved 50 bucks which was nice.

Companion certificate is a waste of time in my opinion.

I have also not been able to prove this but I wonder if Platinum members jump the queue at II through creative caller id use - I have noticed that i wait significantly less time if I call from the phone line registered to II (two lines in house)

I think that the GC's will be the prime motivator - and well worth it if you will use...

R

Thanks!

equitax

TUG Member
Reaction score
GC's

I don't remember the specifics but at what point the web tried to charge me for a GC on booking - instead I left the GC unchecked, and once I received the confirmation changed it online fee free.

I am Platinum for another month. In December I booked an exchange for a friend to stay in Orlando this June. When I went to get the free GC in their name, they claimed I would have to pay the upgrade fee again because the checkin date is after my Platinum expires (even though I booked the week a while ago when my Platinum is current). Seemed pretty cheesy to me. Won't be renewing Platinum again.

David

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
...I have also not been able to prove this but I wonder if Platinum members jump the queue at II through creative caller id use - I have noticed that i wait significantly less time if I call from the phone line registered to II (two lines in house) ...

That's interesting, don't remember seeing anything like this on TUG before about II status. Hmmmm.

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember trying to book a Get Away that was going to be a date AFTER my GOLD memebership was set to expire. They would not give me the $25 discount unless I renewed the Gold Membership. If you use Get Aways and Guest Certificates, it pays for it's self. I kind of have the same issue as Dioxide45 in that the Get Aways and Guest Certs are for friends and Family and thus are saving them money, but I eat the membership cost to help others have nice vacations.

We usaually take friends and family on our exchanges also. Never charge them, but they tend to buy some groceries and maybe a dinner out each time also. I just group all the cost into my vacation budget.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I kind of have the same issue as Dioxide45 in that the Get Aways and Guest Certs are for friends and Family and thus are saving them money, but I eat the membership cost to help others have nice vacations.

I agree with you -- and I have no problem charging my friends and family (and even my TUG friends!) for the Guest Certificates.

But I will occasionally give a week to some active military friends that we have and I never want to ask them for anything, because they do so much for us as it is. This is the primary reason I'm thinking of Platinum in II.

Thank you all for the feedback!

Best,

Greg