• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Planning Trip to Hawaii: Need Advice

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
III. Getting to the Islands - This area is a little shaky for me and don't understand fully. I assume we would fly directly into Honolulu and then take another hop to our final destination. I guess the question is, do we book the final destination straight through or do we handle getting to the other islands once we get there. Apologies for the ignorance here but not sure how frequent flights are between the islands and if its on the level of like commuter train service that runs frequent between the islands during peak times during the day.

It is usually the cheapest to book your airfare straight through. You may still have a layover somewhere, but if you have the whole trip on one ticket, you usually still get the best deal. That may or may not be possible - it all depends on where you are flying from, and what airline you use.

Yes, there are short commuter flights from Oahu to the outer islands all day long. But they aren't cheap - often in the $100 range. So if you have to book a separate flight from Oahu to another island, you want to do it well in advance, and look for the best price - not after you get there. Especially during high season, those flights are full at all the popular times, and it's not unusual to see many people lined up for stand by and not getting a seat on flight after flight.

Be sure you check out the TUG Hawaii page for lots more info.

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Easter is April 20th in 2014, so this will be a very high demand time frame.

Exchanging is a game of supply and demand. Limiting yourself to requesting only 1 or 2 high demand weeks, is going to make it less likely that you will get your exchange.

The wider the range of dates and resorts you request, the more likely you are to get an exchange.

There is nothing wrong with requesting Easter, but I'd also request other weeks that you can go.

Thanks for the info, Denise. I hadn't gone out on the calendar to see when Easter fell as yet but thanks for sharing.

Point of clarification: We wouldn't be trying to target Easter week or any other holiday week for that matter. The search we would put in would be wide open with a preference toward the summer months but summer availability would not be a show stopper for us. April timeframe came up because that is our anniversary Month and Easer typically falls before our anniversary comes so was thinking of going during a significant time, however, I would avoid it like the plague if it meant an unrealistic trade request.

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be sure you check out the TUG Hawaii page for lots more info.

Thanks again for all your good advice. Up until you first mentioned it in a earlier post, I didn't realize their was a section on TUG dedicated to Hawaii. I just mainly focused on the Marriott and Buy/Selling Sections. I started reading through some of those threads late last night and earlier this morning. I'm sure they will fill in any gaps I may still have but this thread has been great and provided enough foundational information for me to continue to do research.

a1000monkeys

Reaction score
From the East Coast you can likely to do a one stop flight with a connection in L.A. to any of the main Islands.

Connecting to the Islands from Honolulu is easy. There are dozens of flights a day and flights are only about 30 min. However, just checking-in, dropping off/picking up rental car, packing/unpacking is still going to eat up most of a day. I prefer to stay on one island the whole trip.

I would suggest Maui as a first time trip. Consider a week at MOC and then rent a bungalow in Hana for a few days to explore the West side of the island and its many waterfalls and pools. You'll miss a lot if you try to explore it in a day and make the drive back to MOC. Plus you don't want to have to drive the dangerous road to Hana at night.

You can also then spend a few more days down in the Kihei area to round out Maui. Traffic in Maui can be a bear at times so it will be much more relaxing to have a local base for exploring each part of the Island.

You can also do a day trip to Lanai or Molokai from Maui by ferry.

May and Sept-mid-Nov are generally the least crowded and least expensive times to go. One exception may be the last week in April to first week in May which falls during "Gold Week" which is a popular vacation time in Japan and Hawaii is very popular destination for Japanese tourists.

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
From the East Coast you can likely to do a one stop flight with a connection in L.A. to any of the main Islands.

Connecting to the Islands from Honolulu is easy. There are dozens of flights a day and flights are only about 30 min. However, just checking-in, dropping off/picking up rental car, packing/unpacking is still going to eat up most of a day. I prefer to stay on one island the whole trip.

I would suggest Maui as a first time trip. Consider a week at MOC and then rent a bungalow in Hana for a few days to explore the West side of the island and its many waterfalls and pools. You'll miss a lot if you try to explore it in a day and make the drive back to MOC. Plus you don't want to have to drive the dangerous road to Hana at night.

You can also then spend a few more days down in the Kihei area to round out Maui. Traffic in Maui can be a bear at times so it will be much more relaxing to have a local base for exploring each part of the Island.

You can also do a day trip to Lanai or Molokai from Maui by ferry.

May and Sept-mid-Nov are generally the least crowded and least expensive times to go. One exception may be the last week in April to first week in May which falls during "Gold Week" which is a popular vacation time in Japan and Hawaii is very popular destination for Japanese tourists.

Yea, I just did a spot check on flights during Mid/late April going directly into Kauai and I see we could get a 1 stopper connecting in Pheonix leaving out of BWI for about 1K r/t each. this was a Sunday to Sunday flight and I know I could possibly get something cheaper by coming back during the middle of the week on a Wednesday.

Thanks for the "Gold Week" heads up so it looks like April may not be a good time to go being that Easter is coming late in 2014 and Gold Week for the Japanise travelers is around the same time.

Yea, Maui seems like its the "best of both worlds" island if you want the tropical and nightlife feel. I dont do nightclubs, shopping so I wouldn't mind going to Kauai for the "extreme" paradise experience without all the other stuff. Maui is definetly near the top of the list for our first trip but if I can get into Kauai during the times they best fit for us, then I would hit Kauai first.

Oahu seems like it would be too much like DC/NYC with all the touristy things (from what I've read in this thread). I hear that it has its pockets of paradise but it would just sink my boat to see an urban landscape on the scale of a major city after Ive trekked half way around the globe to escape that in search of paradise. I'm going for the paradise experience and not the urban experience.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Note that timeshares stays that start and end mid-week are much more difficult to get, so with a mid-week flight, plan to add some additional days at a hotel.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
If you are saying that we need to reserve 12 months out, my thought is that my reservation for 2013 Thansgiving week would fit that criteria. I would be calling Marriott this year (2012) to reserve the November 2013 T-week at GV and then use that to trade for the 2014 week. Would this not work? Again, I'm not up on all of the nuances of trading so forgive me if I'm not picking up on the obvious.

Sorry- I'm the idiot here. Momentarily lost sight of the fact that your November 2013 week would be ready for deposit in November of 2012.

oops-sorry!

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Oahu seems like it would be too much like DC/NYC with all the touristy things (from what I've read in this thread). I hear that it has its pockets of paradise but it would just sink my boat to see an urban landscape on the scale of a major city after Ive trekked half way around the globe to escape that in search of paradise. I'm going for the paradise experience and not the urban experience.

Oahu is a far cry from NYC or DC, just so you know. There are beautiful beaches and lush tropical surrounds, as well as Pearl Harbor. Whether or not it is a personal favorite varies, but there are lots of non-touristy areas and some amazing sights. I live in the suburbs of NYC and I would never compare the two locales.

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
Oahu is a far cry from NYC or DC, just so you know. There are beautiful beaches and lush tropical surrounds, as well as Pearl Harbor. Whether or not it is a personal favorite varies, but there are lots of non-touristy areas and some amazing sights. I live in the suburbs of NYC and I would never compare the two locales.

Aloha,

Definitely agree about Oahu. We own on Kauai, and it is our favorite island, but we have spent a couple of weeks at Ko Olina, and many more weeks in other areas of Oahu, and between the North Shore and Kaneohe it is practically undeveloped. There are many small, lovely public parks right on the beach in the small towns, and we usually only hit Waikiki to take first time visitors, or to visit the museums, punchbowl and other sights in Honolulu.

Also agree that Pearl Harbor is a must, and especially if WWII is a distant haze, as it really brings back what actually went on there. It is quite touching to visit the Arizona, but more uplifting than depressing. It is a beautiful site. My mother had a friend who told stories of her husband, the chaplain on the Arizona, who went down with the ship. His alarm clock was in the old museum, and while sad, it made the whole era more real for me.

We have stayed at least a week at all the Hawaii Marriotts, and although Waiohai is still our favorite, we had a great time everywhere. However, if I had to pick two to recommend for a first visit, they would be Waiohai and Maui Ocean Club.

pharmgirl

Reaction score
Oahu is MUCH more than the city Honolulu!! some people just stay in Honolulu and Waikiki [the beach in Honolulu]

Drive out of Honolulu along the coast for some of the most spectacular scenery in Hawaii
Do go to Oahu for the scenery, and what you can't get on the other islands - pearl harbor, Palace of King Queen of hawaii, Queen Emma's summer palace, air museum, great surfing for experts and amateurs, museums of hawaiian culture,etc.

Maui has beautiful scenery but is much more like the suburbs for much of island except for road to Hana and western shore in Mountains

Kaui is beautiful and great for active life - kayaks, hiking, etc

Go to Marriott's KoOlina timeshare for wonderful views and lovely spacious grounds that will compete with any TS in Hawaii yet you're still a reasonable drive from North Shore, Pearl harbor, Honolulu for a look at what so many people come to Hawaii for at Waikiki beach.

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
As you probably have figured out you wont go wrong with any of the Islands. Ive been to them all many times. My favorite is the one I am at at the moment.

I have really grown to love Oahu. It has the most beautiful and most photographed beaches in all of Hawaii. Some of the biggest beaches are on Oahu. Also I dont recall anyone mentioning the large surfing waves on the north shore.

In my opinion Oahu is the most diverse and has the most to see. Even as much as I don't like Waikiki we always go there for dinner one night and walk around. Ko Olina is about 45 minutes away from Waikiki and totally isolated.

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the wonderful insight. Yea, the comment I made about Oahu being like NYC was more hyberbole than anything.(heck, what would I know, I never been there! :D)

Now which island has the active volcano? I was fortunate enough to see Mt. Stromboli errupt off the coast of Sicily this October during our Mediterranean cruise and it was mind blowing. Is there a place in Hawaii that has continuous eruptions like Stromboli?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oahu is MUCH more than the city Honolulu!! some people just stay in Honolulu and Waikiki [the beach in Honolulu]...
AGREE !!! ... my best friend went with some friends a few years ago and they stayed in Honolulu the entire time (ON RENTAL CAR) - and he complained there were too many tourists on the beach and on the streets - don't make the same mistake he did. When I went, we spend TWO full weeks at Ko Olina for our first trip and it was WONDERFUL - we did not even have enough time to venture to the eastern part of the island we had so much fun exploring the western (includes northern and southern) half of the island !:D

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
...Oahu. It has the most beautiful and most photographed beaches in all of Hawaii. ....
By far one of our favorite Maui or Oahu beaches so far has been the almost, pure, white sand beach just north of Ko Olina (about 30 minutes easy drive), where the freeway literally ends ! When we went there mid-week, we must have seen no more than people from three other cars the entire 2-3 hours we were there. Oh, and we saw a small boat just off shore letting folks off and on for a nice mid-afternoon swim. That was it !

Michigan Czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Annual, 2 x Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Odd
If I were you I would choose Oahu for one week staying at Ko Olina. So much to do and see, I would even suggest you go to the "city" for one day/evening.

I would suggest you also do Maui and take a1000Monkeys advice. Drive the Road to Hana and spend a couple nights in Hana. That will give you the lush, tropical feel and you will have plenty of things to explore.

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, you all are temping me to push this trip out until 2016 when it's our 10th anniversary and go for an entire month. LOL! The wife would be blown away. Gosh, soo much to do. :eek:

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, you all are temping me to push this trip out until 2016 when it's our 10th anniversary and go for an entire month. LOL! The wife would be blown away. Gosh, soo much to do. :eek:
Why not do this trip in 2015, to celebrate the upcoming 10th anniversary ??? :D

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not just do a SECOND (or third or fourth) trip in 2016? ;)

Good idea, but IF it were us with to kids in tow, the airfare will be how much ??? ;) Even if we left the kiddos behind, multiple trips means multiple TSA encounters - the stress from THAT alone IMO will erase the therapeutic effects of the trips, no not worth multiple, small trips. I'd rather do one BIG excursion.

Last edited:

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's some advice - be careful

Probably my families favorite thing to do is going down Hana highway in Maui, stopping and swimming in the falls and secluded beaches.

I always tell my family be careful, no diving or other craziness...

Unfortunately a lady from my hometown passed away this week slipping off a waterfall on bamboo trail.

http://www.ksdk.com/rss/article/294316/3/Chesterfield-woman-killed-in-fall-in-Hawaii

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good idea, but IF it were us with to kids in tow, the airfare will be how much ??? ;) Even if we left the kiddos behind, multiple trips means multiple TSA encounters - the stress from THAT alone IMO will erase the therapeutic effects of the trips, no not worth multiple, small trips. I'd rather do one BIG excursion.
For you, airfare from SFO should be pretty reasonable, if you catch (or wait for) a sale. I wouldn't be surprised if you could catch a fare under $400, especially if you go off season. For instance, right now there are SFO-HNL roundtrips in March 2012 for $350-$400, and that's supposed to be a prime time.

For me (and for the OP), we have further to fly and it's usually a bit higher. We've used frequent flier miles for most of our Hawaii trips, but have paid OOP for a couple ($275 each for one and $600 each for another).

TSA? We just returned from Hawaii a few weeks ago, and I can't remember a single thing about the TSA security, but I have awesome memories of playing with the kids on the beach, breathtaking waterfalls, great meals, incrediable foliage, delicious pineapples, and so much more.

A single long trip is fine, but I'd opt for multiple long trips anytime. ;)

We already have our 2012 Hawaii trip planned (another three week one), and I'm chomping at the bit to plan a 2013 one.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
III. Getting to the Islands - This area is a little shaky for me and don't understand fully. I assume we would fly directly into Honolulu and then take another hop to our final destination. I guess the question is, do we book the final destination straight through or do we handle getting to the other islands once we get there. Apologies for the ignorance here but not sure how frequent flights are between the islands and if its on the level of like commuter train service that runs frequent between the islands during peak times during the day.
I recommend avoiding a flight change in Honolulu if possible. We did that once - never again. The transfer hop is frustrating, expensive and unnecessary.

There are direct flights from many west coast cities to the individual islands. Avoiding a transfer in Honolulu should not be too hard.

Since you are coming from the east coast (Maryland), you will likely change planes in a west coast city like Seattle, Oakland, San Francisco, or Los Angeles (or possibly even Salt Lake City or Phoenix). From there, you will fly directly to your specific island destination. As other have suggested, you may want to schedule an overnight layover on the west coast before proceeding to Hawaii (just to break up the long flight times and give yourself a rest). Check expedia.com for flight options. Most of the major airlines fly to the Hawaiian islands, and also some others you might not immediately think of like Hawaiian Airlines and Alaska Airlines. You will have lots of options to consider.

Last edited:

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Other folks have suggested that you schedule two or more weeks for your Hawaii vacation. It is hard to argue against spending more time in Hawaii, but just be prepared if you do that. Integrating back into the real world after a vacation like that can be tough.

We spent two full weeks at Maui Ocean Club a few years back. The first week was fun, but we really learned the meaning of relaxation during the second week. We slowed down to pace that we had never known before. There were some days when we wouldn't even leave the resort - just rotate between swimming, eating, napping, repeat. It almost made me feel guilty for being so decadent.

When we eventually returned to our hectic lives here in busy Silicon Valley, we felt a little disoriented and gloomy (not quite depressed). It can be a big adjustment returning from paradise.

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Other folks have suggested that you schedule two or more weeks for your Hawaii vacation. It is hard to argue against spending more time in Hawaii, but just be prepared if you do that. Integrating back into the real world after a vacation like that can be tough.

We spent two full weeks at Maui Ocean Club a few years back. The first week was fun, but we really learned the meaning of relaxation during the second week. We slowed down to pace that we had never known before. There were some days when we wouldn't even leave the resort - just rotate between swimming, eating, napping, repeat. It almost made me feel guilty for being so decadent.

When we eventually returned to our hectic lives here in busy Silicon Valley, we felt a little disoriented and gloomy (not quite depressed). It can be a big adjustment returning from paradise.

Good point and I asked the wife about a month stay and she wasn't thrilled on it. However, I do think we wil go for at least 2 weeks since traveling from the east coast is such a trek.

Now some are suggesting to do a stay over in our lay over city (e.g. LA, SF, etc.) How would we book that? I've always booked flights straight through and just sat at the airport for whatever the layover time was (at most a few hours) but never did the stay over a night or 2 and fly out again. Seems like it would more expensive to do it that way but I don't know.

I've checked on flights to get an idea of how long it would take and ballpark pricing during the times we would go. From WAS area airports, we are looking at total travel time of about 12 hours with short layovers of about 1.5 hours in connecting cities. IMO, I wouldn't go through the hassle of trying to break up a flight into multiple days and would just build in some recoup days when we get to Hawaii.

Now, for a flight to Asia where I've seen some of the layovers are 8+ hours, I can see this as being worth the effort of breaking up the flight into multiple days.