• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Planning Central US trip during September

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Friends of ours from the UK, would like ideas/advice on places to visit in the Central US during September. They are first visiting friends in Boston, and then....

"We would fly from Boston to either Detroit or Chicago, and do some traveling, for which we have 25 days free. We are thinking of starting on the road from 4th September until 30th September. It would have to be a circular trip, starting and ending at the same place.

We’d like to either

a) See Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa
b) See Illinois,Missouri, Kentucky and Indiana
c) See Illinois,Indiana,Ohio, West Virginia
d) Any combination of the above as we haven’t been to any of those States, and have no idea what to expect."

They do own a timeshare, but this trip does not need to be limited to timeshare locales.
All ideas are appreciated.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Well, I didn't leave anything in Illinois, Indiana, or Ohio the last time I was there, so I can't immediately think of any reason I'd want to go back. I'm sure there are interesting things to see in any of our 50 states, but those wouldn't be my first choices.

Have they seen the rest of the country? I'd be more inclined to go north or south from Boston. Vermont and Maine, maybe PEI or Nova Scotia. Connecticut and Rhode Island. Pennsylvania, Virginia, Tennessee. West Virginia is probably pretty scenic. Haven't been there since I was a child.

September is a wonderful time to travel. If I didn't have a kid in public school, it would be my first choice.

Sheila

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not a circle from perhaps Denver, going north to and across Wyoming, seeing Grand Teton, Yellowstone, down through Utah, seeing SLC, Stay at Park City, on down to Las Vegas via the Utah parks, then a choice of backtracking back over the Rockies to Denver or detour down to Grand Canyon before heading back to Denver.

It would be a bit Park heavy, but there are some timeshares, a plethora of hotels. September is the best time of year in this locale, and it sure isn't anything similar to the UK, though they would ee some agricultural lands too.

Nothing against the US's breadbasket of the Midwest, but IMO it isn't what I'd show off to European visitors.

Jim

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

SunLover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute! Flying into Chicago is an absolutely fabulous idea. Chicago has beautiful weather in September and there is a lot to do there - art, sports, history, water, sky scrapers!
Then get yourself to Minnesota! by plane - easy / by car - no problem. You can see the MSP/St Paul area and take some time Up North! Go to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area or any lake area to enjoy the beauty of 10,000 Lakes. Even see Lake Superior to add to the Lake Tour (if you were in Chicago for Lake Michigan). You could drive Hwy 2 East to Mackinac Island, Michigan too.
With that kind of time (25 days!) you could see a lot of beautiful country!

trevm77UK

Reaction score
Thank you Sheila for your reply. I live in the UK , and it was me who asked the original question via a friend. Yes, we've been north from Boston several times, and up to Nova Scotia. And south too. We've travelled to all the west and est costal States too, but not been anywhere in Central US, hence the question. Haven't been to West Virginia as yet, so that may be a good suggestion.

Thanks

Trevor

trevm77UK

Reaction score
Why not a circle from perhaps Denver, going north to and across Wyoming, seeing Grand Teton, Yellowstone, down through Utah, seeing SLC, Stay at Park City, on down to Las Vegas via the Utah parks, then a choice of backtracking back over the Rockies to Denver or detour down to Grand Canyon before heading back to Denver.

It would be a bit Park heavy, but there are some timeshares, a plethora of hotels. September is the best time of year in this locale, and it sure isn't anything similar to the UK, though they would ee some agricultural lands too.

Nothing against the US's breadbasket of the Midwest, but IMO it isn't what I'd show off to European visitors.

Jim
Hi Jim , thanks for your thoughts. Happily, we have been to all the places you have suggested. We have travelled extensively through 33 of your States, but none of the ones I asked my friend about ( the lady who made the original post).

Trevor.

trevm77UK

Reaction score
What types of things are the wanting to see and do?
Hi Michael.

I'm the guy from the UK who asked the question of my friend ( I've just joined here). You will see from my previous replies, we have travelled much of the USA. Mainly, we like sightseeing (scenery) and experiencing the different local cultures. We don't like to sit on an Insterstate for hours, just to say we've been there. For example, we loved Monument Valley, which took us an age to get through. And last year , we did Route 66 from Santa Fe (NM) to Santa Monica, which took us the best part of 12 days. Hope I've given you a feel for what we like.

Trevor

trevm77UK

Reaction score
What types of things are the wanting to see and do?

Wait a minute! Flying into Chicago is an absolutely fabulous idea. Chicago has beautiful weather in September and there is a lot to do there - art, sports, history, water, sky scrapers!
Then get yourself to Minnesota! by plane - easy / by car - no problem. You can see the MSP/St Paul area and take some time Up North! Go to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area or any lake area to enjoy the beauty of 10,000 Lakes. Even see Lake Superior to add to the Lake Tour (if you were in Chicago for Lake Michigan). You could drive Hwy 2 East to Mackinac Island, Michigan too.

Thank you SunLover2.

I've looked up your suggestions, and that seems a good choice. We have stayed in Chicago before, but loved it. So returning and starting a trip from there, would not be a bad idea. Many thanks,

Trevor (Nottingham, England)

trevm77UK

Reaction score
If they're visiting or passing through Ohio, they might enjoy

*Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (I confess I've never gone)
http://www.rockhall.com/visit-the-museum/plan/

*Cleveland Museum of Art (world-class)
http://www.clevelandart.org/

*Cedar Point (roller coaster heaven)
https://www.cedarpoint.com/things-to-do/roller-coasters#

*Cleveland Indians baseball
http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cle#y=2016&m=9&calendar=DEFAULT

Thank you Conan.
I'll spend some time checking out your links. Thanks for your time.

Trevor

Nottingham, England

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Chicago is an amazing place--especially in the fall. Sports, museums, the lakefront, food, willis tower, pier etc...
Mall of the Americas is neat to see...malls are not my thing, but it is something.
The Ohio amusement parks are certainly different from what you'd find in EU/UK... Rock and Roll, Football hall of fame all good. US Air Force Museum Wright-Patt is awesome!
West Virginia is an amazing state with scenic byways and unspoiled wilderness. New River Gorge Bridge, Harpers Ferry, The Congressional Bunker White Sulphur Springs, to name a few.
St Louis is a great city to visit....
Kentucky distilleries (Bourbon!) are a good pic....

So, I guess: Chicago, St Louis, Ohio, West Virginia, maybe Kentucky would be my picks. Have you visited Nashville? If not, it should be on your list--along with the many Civil War parks/sites...

cheers.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains

Jim

My kids still call our trip where we flew into Denver and visited Glacier National Park, Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons one of their best trips ever.

Sheila

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Michael.

I'm the guy from the UK who asked the question of my friend ( I've just joined here). You will see from my previous replies, we have travelled much of the USA. Mainly, we like sightseeing (scenery) and experiencing the different local cultures. We don't like to sit on an Insterstate for hours, just to say we've been there. For example, we loved Monument Valley, which took us an age to get through. And last year , we did Route 66 from Santa Fe (NM) to Santa Monica, which took us the best part of 12 days. Hope I've given you a feel for what we like.

Trevor

How about the west coast? San Francisco up through the redwoods, to Oregon and Washington. Maybe on up to British Columbia and Alberta. We flew into Vancouver one year, stayed a week on Vancouver Island, then drove over to Jasper, down to Banff and back to Vancouver. It was an amazing trip.

Sheila

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Have you visited Nashville? If not, it should be on your list--along with the many Civil War parks/sites...

cheers.

Nashville has some nice places. If you come that far down, go east to the Smoky Mountain National Park. Or down to the North Georgia or Western NC mountains. That whole corner of the World has lots of beautiful things to see. Just avoid the tourist traps like Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

Sheila

Rusa

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you like driving and scenery, you would probably do best to do a loop from Chicago to Minnesota, up north and around the Great Lakes through Michigan and Wisconsin, then maybe pop over to Niagara Falls, and back to Chicago through West Virginia if you have the time, and then northern Ohio along the lakes. Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, and Ohio are basically flat and covered with corn and soybeans. Very boring to drive through, and I've done it more than once. Love Chicago, plan to spend at least two days there first or last; great museums and shopping and generally a fun city.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Nashville has some nice places. If you come that far down, go east to the Smoky Mountain National Park. Or down to the North Georgia or Western NC mountains. That whole corner of the World has lots of beautiful things to see. Just avoid the tourist traps like Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

Sheila

Asheville NC is a real treat. Drum night in the downtown area is not to be missed. Likewise, the champagne bookstore, Biltmore, art etc...

I vote for Nashville, Asheville, Ohio, St Louis, Chicago. :wave:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you're interested in this type of thing, but you may want to check out the Mississippi River cruises. You could take them all the way down to New Orleans, if you had the time. Otherwise, it's a great way to visit the heart of America!

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I have a somewhat biased opinion, but Wisconsin is beautiful. (Although September is a month too early for fall colors.) Our state capitol is gorgeous if you are into that sort of thing. I vote for St. Louis and Nashville, both are easily drive-able from Chicago. South Dakota and Mount Rushmore are not too far out if you are interested. If you opt for Nashville, Memphis is another option, great music and food. Check out the baseball and football schedules for any city you might be headed to, both will effect hotel prices and volumes of people in the area.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I have a somewhat biased opinion, but Wisconsin is beautiful. (Although September is a month too early for fall colors.) Our state capitol is gorgeous if you are into that sort of thing. I vote for St. Louis and Nashville, both are easily drive-able from Chicago. South Dakota and Mount Rushmore are not too far out if you are interested. If you opt for Nashville, Memphis is another option, great music and food. Check out the baseball and football schedules for any city you might be headed to, both will effect hotel prices and volumes of people in the area.

Geeze. How could I omit Memphis. X2 on that.

This might be a long trip..... :>

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Friends of ours from the UK, would like ideas/advice on places to visit in the Central US during September. They are first visiting friends in Boston, and then....

"We would fly from Boston to either Detroit or Chicago, and do some traveling, for which we have 25 days free. We are thinking of starting on the road from 4th September until 30th September. It would have to be a circular trip, starting and ending at the same place.

We’d like to either

a) See Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa
b) See Illinois,Missouri, Kentucky and Indiana
c) See Illinois,Indiana,Ohio, West Virginia
d) Any combination of the above as we haven’t been to any of those States, and have no idea what to expect."

They do own a timeshare, but this trip does not need to be limited to timeshare locales.
All ideas are appreciated.
Flying into Chicago (one of the country's great cities) and doing a loop through Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri and Illinois would be a fabulous trip based on the desires expressed by the OP. You could spend a fabulous week in Chicago and maybe 3 days in Minneapolis/St. Paul as part of this 25-day excursion.

Suesue1738

TUG Member
Reaction score
West Virginia!

I second the motion to take in West Virginia....it is beautiful! My husband was born and raised there. As a couple, we have always lived in Texas. Several years ago, we took our sons to West Virginia for a week, rented a cabin in the woods (very remote), went hiking through the woods, white-water rafting, etc. it is just gorgeous! Nothing like a soft, West Virginia rain,too, pattering on the rooftop....very relaxing.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I second the motion to take in West Virginia....it is beautiful! My husband was born and raised there. As a couple, we have always lived in Texas. Several years ago, we took our sons to West Virginia for a week, rented a cabin in the woods (very remote), went hiking through the woods, white-water rafting, etc. it is just gorgeous! Nothing like a soft, West Virginia rain,too, pattering on the rooftop....very relaxing.

If you're adventuresome, I x2 the whitewater rafting in WV. It's really top-notch, but it's simply a tourist attraction (if the water is up)--it's the real deal. Very exciting.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Thank you Conan.
I'll spend some time checking out your links. Thanks for your time.

Trevor

Nottingham, England

I've been in Cleveland for 68 years and have not seen everything yet so don't believe anyone who tells you there may be little to do and see.

Conan has some excellent places in his post. Our lakefront parks are wonderful and you can tour the USS Cod, a WWII submarine. So much more in the surrounding areas and cities such as music, museums, cultural events, sports, nature.

Let me know if your plans bring you this way and I'll give you some specifics.

flexible

TUG Member
Reaction score

http://www.grandhotel.com is where we'd like to stay in Mackinac Island